poobear
We lost our cat, Puddles, back in June and its been super hard.  He lived a great life - was 16 years old - but I still wasn't ready for him to leave us.  Things had been getting better until the last two weeks.  
Before Puddles died, my daughter had been asking for a dog.  I just couldn't do that to Puddles at his age so we put her off.  Even after he died, we knew we needed some time.  She did begin looking for a dog though.  Since we both have allergies, a pretty small home, no fenced in yard and work long days we were trying to be pretty particular.  
A couple of weeks ago we decided to go to an adoption event at a local pet store.  We knew that another lady was going to be surrendering two small dogs that day at the store (her landlord wouldn't let her keep so many - she had 5 dogs in an apartment.)  We met the dogs and expressed some interest in adopting the female. Before I knew it we were fostering both dogs.  
To make a long story short, the organization did find another foster for the male but we've been fostering the female for almost two weeks.  Towards the end of last week my daughter just had a meltdown.  As you know, dogs are a lot more work than a cat!  My daughter is chronically ill and it was just too much for her.  She felt like she had to follow the dog around the house and watch it constantly.  We also found out that the dog is older - probably 8 - 10 years old.  She has always insisted that this dog is HERS and her responsibility.  But now she is just overwhelmed.  So now we're planning on sending the dog to a new foster family.  

I feel like this isn't necessarily the right time or the right dog for us but its breaking my heart.  She's a sweet, cute dog but she is older and I just don't know that I can face losing another animal before I've really had much time with them.  Let alone the cost of managing an older animal.  (And this breed typically has issues.)  
I feel selfish, guilty and sad for having her in our home and then having to shift her around again.  Just not sure what else to do.  Feels like I'm losing another animal right now. 
Mom of Pooh
Quote 0 0
Eileennellie
You have to do what is right for you and your daughter. If you don't feel that you can provide the optimal home for the dog, then you are probably right. The dog will be fine, another loving home is an appropriate option. You seem like responsible pet lovers, I know my 16 year old cat would be very upset if I got a new dog right now! Don't feel bad for trying to do what is right for your family and the dog. In the long run, its best. Good luck, and I'm very sorry about the loss of your Puddles.
Quote 1 0
oerquiaga229
Sometimes you just find out later that these things aren't the best fit at the time. There is certainly no shortage of people willing to give a loving home to a pet in need when it turns out to not be the best situation for others. You are making a responsible decision for all of you.
Owen Erquiaga
Quote 1 0
poobear
Eileennellie wrote:
You have to do what is right for you and your daughter. If you don't feel that you can provide the optimal home for the dog, then you are probably right. The dog will be fine, another loving home is an appropriate option. You seem like responsible pet lovers, I know my 16 year old cat would be very upset if I got a new dog right now! Don't feel bad for trying to do what is right for your family and the dog. In the long run, its best. Good luck, and I'm very sorry about the loss of your Puddles.

Thank you... I appreciate the understanding and am feeling better about it now.  A friend of mine said to consider it like we were babysitting a friends dog.  I still don't think I'll actually be able to take her to the new foster myself - just too emotional about it - but I do feel like its the right thing for her and us.  
Mom of Pooh
Quote 0 0
poobear
oerquiaga229 wrote:
Sometimes you just find out later that these things aren't the best fit at the time. There is certainly no shortage of people willing to give a loving home to a pet in need when it turns out to not be the best situation for others. You are making a responsible decision for all of you.

Thank you! I know we'll get through it.  Just pretty hard right now.  

Mom of Pooh
Quote 0 0