Forum

Author   Comment  
LolasMommyForever

Reply with quote  #1 
I put my best friend down on Jan 2nd and I feel like I made a mistake. I miss her so much. She became sick and went to vet and the emergency hospital. Came home after a few days and got sick all over again. My husband and I made the decision to put her down. We didn’t want her to be in pain anymore. I wanted to take her back to the hospital but he said be strong for her. She had pancreatitis. Her belly swelled more then the first time we took her in and vomited on pills. She hadn’t eaten for a week and a half. She did drink water and still pee for a few days then stopped drinking water and would go in the bathroom and look at the wall. We thought she was telling us it was her time. Dr said to take back to the emergency but couldn’t tell us if it would work. All the what if’s . I’m hating myself and mad at the choice we made. That maybe she still had a chance. We knew it could come back over and over and didn’t want to have her keep going back to the hospital and it was a$1000 a night in the emergency place where she needed ivs. 2 nights didn’t work. She was fine at first then back to bad. We didn’t know if more would have worked. I’m feel so guilty. My husband is sad but he set on that we made the right decision. I am not. She was almost 12. Dachshund
Tess

Reply with quote  #2 
So sorry for your loss! Animals do have a way of telling us when it's time; I think we just resist it. I know it's hard.i pray you find some peace in your decision. She wouldn't want you hurting like that. We all deal differently with grief; honor yours!! Praying for you!
Purzel

Reply with quote  #3 
I am so sorry for your loss of sweet Lola. I do believe that this is the hardest decision we have to do in life - to let go of our beloved ones in their favor. I am very sure you did everything for her but also see from what you wrote that she was ready to go. You were so caring and loving that you freed her from further pain and now suffer the pain of her loss. Please, take your time to grieve her as it will take a while and be assured that you did everything right. The guilt you feel is a normal process of grieving - we always tend to ask ourselves if we could have done better as we love them so much. Lola is free of pain now and will forever live in your heart. Good you came here, we all understand and are here to comfort you and dry your tears.

My heart goes out to you

[hundi]

PeanutGarcia

Reply with quote  #4 
God.

As much as it hurts, from what I'm reading, you did the right thing. That's no life for a dog. Being helpless and in pain. IT would be cruel to keep her alive. 

I know you've heard it before. But I hope I can reinforce that idea.
tmjgrady

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LolasMommyForever
I put my best friend down on Jan 2nd and I feel like I made a mistake. I miss her so much. She became sick and went to vet and the emergency hospital. Came home after a few days and got sick all over again. My husband and I made the decision to put her down. We didn’t want her to be in pain anymore. I wanted to take her back to the hospital but he said be strong for her. She had pancreatitis. Her belly swelled more then the first time we took her in and vomited on pills. She hadn’t eaten for a week and a half. She did drink water and still pee for a few days then stopped drinking water and would go in the bathroom and look at the wall. We thought she was telling us it was her time. Dr said to take back to the emergency but couldn’t tell us if it would work. All the what if’s . I’m hating myself and mad at the choice we made. That maybe she still had a chance. We knew it could come back over and over and didn’t want to have her keep going back to the hospital and it was a$1000 a night in the emergency place where she needed ivs. 2 nights didn’t work. She was fine at first then back to bad. We didn’t know if more would have worked. I’m feel so guilty. My husband is sad but he set on that we made the right decision. I am not. She was almost 12. Dachshund

Not only did you do the right thing, you did the courageous thing! I made the same decision last week with Louie and have at times wondered if we did the right thing- my wife and vet assures me that we did and I am sure you did as well

Reply with quote  #6 
You not only did the right thing, but you did the selfless thing.  You put Lola first before your own pain and spared her any further suffering.  It is the last act of kindness we can give our suffering pets and although it breaks our hearts, it is the right thing to do.  Healing and coming to terms with her loss will take you through many stages of grief, the "what ifs" are the beginning.  Be kind to yourself through the process and know you have friends here you understand and can help.
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.