jimmy17
Today for the first time since we lost Jim 15 days ago, we decided to go on one of his favourite walks. It was hard telling our dog walking friends what had happened ( Jim had been unable to go on long walks for much of the last year due to his age of 17), so a lot of them did not know what had happened.  What struck me was how genuinely sympathetic real dog lovers are - some people after their initial condolences just want to change the subject- not so with the true animal lovers. This is why this is such a brilliant site, everyone on here all know the depths of utter grief when faced with the loss of a beautiful friend and soul mate. Going on his walk today brought back a host of memories - his favourite tree`s, sniffing places, the way he`d walk around the bench instead of in front of it. I`ve also started writing down all our memories - I bought a lovely notebook which I keep to hand and each time a new memory surfaces, I write it down - it`s over half full already. So many good memories of our gentle little best friend. xx
J Taylor
Quote 0 0
JerseyNonna
what a wonderfully handsome dog jimmy was and so glad to hear you are taking his walks and recalling on paper such great memories I am sure you were blessed with.  know what you mean about how non dog owners really sort of get perplexed hearing of our plight and how after almost a cursory "oh i'm so sorry" they either start looking to either side as if they are uncomfortable or the subject is changed as you mention.

today I had to go to the area where roxie and I would take her potty walks since the mailboxes are right there for my building.  gosh I saw her everywhere in that little parcel of green, sniffing the trees and ground, and as funny as it seems she was particular about where she pee'd and poo'd.  omg and how there were days when she'd have to make like 15 circles before her bum got into the right spot for the pee.  another smile at that remembrance and think I do as you are and start a journal for memories.

what was special about roxie was the fact she was my service dog always there to assist me as needed.  aussies just love working and roxie was no different - she even picked up on her own that i am not supposed to get upset because it increases the pain i deal with.  she'd stand in front of me and put her head on my leg and if that didn't stop me she would back up a bit and bark at me as if she was saying "ok mom, you need to stop because it's bad for you".

thank you for sharing your story of jimmy and many hugs to you.
JerseyNonna
Quote 0 0
bartlett
So sorry for the loss of your old friend. No matter how long they live, and 17 is long for a dog, we are never ready to let them go. I can relate to the memories of the places you walked your dog and how you remember every little thing that they liked to do. I've just come back from a visit to Jacksonville with my daughter and so missed having my Chester man (lost him 12/3 at 13) to enjoy his walks there. She lives in a neighborhood with sidewalks so there was a lost of territory that needed checking out. He never got tired of exploring. I live in the country so it was a totally different experience for him.
Time is helping with the pain but as you said people that aren't animal lovers just don't get it and I don't usually mention it to someone unless I know they understand. Our babies leave such a big hole in our hearts that you just can't explain it to any one other than those who have been down that sad road. We just have to ban together here and let our feelings out whenever the need arises. Hoping for some peace for you.
I'm sure your journal helps.
Chester's mom (Joan)
joan bartlett
Quote 0 0
jimmy17
Thanks Jerseynonna and Joan, it really helps us all so much on here, being able to recall all the little things that made our furry little friends so unique and special. I went back to work today, and Jim`s blanket is still in the car with his own little smell on it - needless to say, it was tears all the way, but I felt as if he was there with me. When we got Jim, my dad was alive and he used to care for Jim, he`d pick him up from our house first thing in the morning and have him all day, then when dad passed 7 years ago, mum took over. She`s 82 now and is in absolute bits - Jim was a last link to dad for all of us, but especially for mum. One of my good friends hit the nail on the head when she said how something so small, and can`t speak , can totally steal your heart and make you feel so good to be alive just by having them near you. Very true. xx
J Taylor
Quote 0 0
Vegas2015
J Taylor

"how genuinely sympathetic real dog lovers are", how so true.  The loss of such a beloved companion, friend, is hard to bear at times and even as time passes still shed a tear from our loss of our 16 year companion, Vegas.  I have gone through thousands of digital pictures dedicating a folder of Vegas and in order from youngest to the time when he was first stricken with Vestibular disease and a few up to the ending.

How fantastic to create a notebook.  Wish you a sincere heartfelt understand of the loss of Jim and that you think of the joyful times you have spent together.

With great Sympathy,
John & Renee
Quote 0 0
jimmy17
Thanks John and Renee for your very kind words. Vegas certainly had such caring owners, I`ve also been going through all the photo`s of Jim and putting them in order from when we got him at 4 months old ( he was a rescue pup), to the last one`s just a couple of weeks before we lost him. Hard going to be honest, memories bring tears, but he gave us so much love and friendship - as did your Vegas - they deserve every tear shed now. Thanks again.    Jackie. xx
J Taylor
Quote 0 0