Devastatedpetowner

Hi team I have been in turmoil since one of my guinea pigs died yesterday I feel like I caused her death by having her too cold/wet, could have prevented it as I noticed she wasn't moving as much night before but just thought she was resting and have extreme guilt about not giving her enough attention. We come home in the evenings and have a toddler to deal with but would always feed, clean out and provide hot water bottles to keep them warm each night. They get more attention in the spring and summer when it is light and we're outside (they're not fond of cuddles just someone being near) but they haven't had much attention last few months and I am devastated and feel dreadful.
I feel so guilty and never expected this as she's not even two yet I was looking forward to spending more time with them in the lighter months I can't eat or sleep with guilt and felt like I let her down and as her primary caregiver should have done more/realised when she needed my house/worried she died from being cold or wet etc/should have insulated hutch more. I dont know how to cope with the guilt I loved her so much please can you give me advise I am worried I neglected her. I also have ocd which exemplifies guilt!
Quote 0 0
Jan_H
Aoife,

I am very sorry for your loss of your sweet, guinea pig. It is normal to feel guilt and think about what we could have or should have done differently. Most of us, maybe all of us here have had similar thoughts. But remember that you loved her and cared for her and provided her with a good life. Her life was short but she was loved.

My condolences,
Jan
Quote 0 0
Mistysmama
I am so sorry for your loss, and from the huge guilt you are going through.

I have never had Guinea Pigs, but know someone who knows a lot about them, and they take great comfort from their own "tribe" of companions, as well as from contact with humans. But they really like each others' company a lot.
So your little one wouldn't have been lonely with the others with her.

But I know you must feel you didn't give her the attention you should have done. Yet you say you fed them, cleaned their "dens", and provided them with hot water bottles. That sounds very decent and kind to me.

Bless her, and a hug for you as I know how hard it is when we feel a heartbreaking guilt for something.

One dog I had many years ago, he behaved really badly (a week before he died as it turned out, but I didn't know that then.) I shouted at him and turned him on his back in the grass, and scared him. Well....days later he was diagnosed with terminal cancer. I could not forgive myself. I hated myself. That little dog came up to me only hours after that incident and licked my face. That was the only thing I could remember that was worth remembering. He forgave me.
I still don't think I have 100% forgiven myself for that thing I did. But I keep remembering how he did....
Hold the love like a little light. It is all you have, or will ever have, to find your way home.

Misty's Blog..a Dogfight with Cancer http://www.mistysblog69.blogspot.co.uk

Misty's life after death: http://www.dog2spirit.com
Quote 0 0
Devastatedpetowner
Jan_H wrote:
Aoife,

I am very sorry for your loss of your sweet, guinea pig. It is normal to feel guilt and think about what we could have or should have done differently. Most of us, maybe all of us here have had similar thoughts. But remember that you loved her and cared for her and provided her with a good life. Her life was short but she was loved.

My condolences,
Jan
Quote 0 0
Devastatedpetowner
Thanks so much Jan just feel sick thinking I didn't give her enough love as didn't stroke her often(she didn't really like that anyway ha)
Quote 0 0
Devastatedpetowner
Thanks so much! And understand exactly what you mean and course the dog forgave you we tend to focus in on the 'bad' things we did and ignore all the good. That makes me feel a lot better knowing she wouldnt have been lonely as she had her partner I just feel I should have checked her properly the night before and if I had have been stroking her recently i might have noticed something was wrong. They were fine on Saturday though when I gave them a new tube!
Quote 0 0