KayM
Last Friday my seemingly healthy Rottie mix BB just collapsed and died almost immediately. My son and I were walking him, everything seemed absolutely normal. Our beast ( and I say that with absolute love) was about 100 lbs and a rescue so we can only approximate his age at 9-10. He was at the vet just 2 months ago and vet said he was doing great, wouldn't have thought he was 9. We are so heartbroken over losing him. As many others have said the mornings are tough and coming home without him waiting at the front door, tail wagging ferociously, is gut wrenching. Has anyone else heard of anything like this happening to a dog, just collapsing on the spot? I know that by it happening quickly he didn't suffer and we didn't have to make the difficult choices that so many with an ill pet have had to, but I'm angry and broken hearted that he is gone and so suddenly. Thank you for listening.
Quote 0 0
FClaire
So sorry on your loss, what a terrible shock for you and your son. Maybe it was a heart attack? A lovely way for him to go and without suffering or pain. But understandably heart breaking for you. I've just lost my beautiful boy Ollie 13 days ago so I feel your pain. I'm heartbroken and just want him back 😢😢
This site has helped, because everyone is so understanding as they are going through or have been through it. It's the worst pain ever isn't it? I'm just taking it very slowly, that's all we can do. So sorry xxx
Quote 0 0
KayM
Thank you for your kind words. I'm so sorry to you also for your loss of Ollie. It does help a bit to get it all out here, though I'm sorry for what everyone on this site is suffering through. My head tells me that the pain will ease with time, and it will, but right now our hearts are broken. And even when the time comes that it doesn't hurt so much our hearts will always be missing that little piece😔. Our lives were all made better by our fur babies, we were blessed to have them. Wishing you peace.
Quote 0 0
BeautifulDK
KayM wrote:
Last Friday my seemingly healthy Rottie mix BB just collapsed and died almost immediately. My son and I were walking him, everything seemed absolutely normal. Our beast ( and I say that with absolute love) was about 100 lbs and a rescue so we can only approximate his age at 9-10. He was at the vet just 2 months ago and vet said he was doing great, wouldn't have thought he was 9. We are so heartbroken over losing him. As many others have said the mornings are tough and coming home without him waiting at the front door, tail wagging ferociously, is gut wrenching. Has anyone else heard of anything like this happening to a dog, just collapsing on the spot? I know that by it happening quickly he didn't suffer and we didn't have to make the difficult choices that so many with an ill pet have had to, but I'm angry and broken hearted that he is gone and so suddenly. Thank you for listening.

Dear K, my Rosco collapsed on Thu and we got to the emergency room “in time”. It turns out his heart was 6 times bigger than normal due to a defective valve. He was put on a mask and given loads of pills, and they told me that he had 9-12 months to live. He only got to live 5 days more, after much suffering. One thing I have understood: no matter how it happens, fast or slow, at home or via euthanasia, we are all having the most profound grief :( I wish that you find a bit of peace. I am at the beginning of this process too, and its shattering.
Quote 0 0
FClaire
We were yes, very blessed. I keep asking myself when will this pain ease, suppose it's time your right. Our hearts are truly broken, like yours. It's like someone has said on here, a light has definitely gone out. It just shows how much we deeply loved them. Xxx
Quote 0 0
KayM
My condolences on your loss of Roscoe. You experienced a triplewhammy, what with him collapsing, then the hope of recovery and then suffering. I was spared having to see my love suffer or having to make an impossible decision. Still, as you said, however it happens it hurts like hell. Wishing you healing and peace.
Quote 0 0
Memories_of_Marmalade

Dear Kay,

I am very sorry and saddened to read of your loss. Welcome to the Rainbow Bridge Forum despite the unfortunate circumstances.

Yes, there are numerous postings by pet parents over the years here on this grief forum, who's dog or cat simply collapsed and passed away at the end. It is quite often a total shock, as many appeared to be in good health or had recently visited the Vet (like your "Beast" did. It happens quite often sadly.

As you may know, the average natural lifespan for a dog is around 10 years of age. We humans, can at times, expand dogs lifespan, by providing them with shelter (from predators and the weather / elements), regular food and access to fresh water, occasional trips to the Vet's (and possible treatments & medication), and love and affection (which contributes to their overall well-being), but unfortunately, there are no guarantees that their lives will be extended, as they are not biologically designed or engineered to live longer than 10 years. 

It is comforting to know that your boy was doing something that he loved when he passed, and that at the end of his life, he fully realized that he was loved, cherished and adored and an important member of your pack (family), for as long as he was a part of your lives. All dogs should be so blessed & fortunate. May God bless and keep you and yours for providing a home to your lost boy, when he truly needed one. You provided him one, and so, so much more. : ** )

My sincerest condolences & kind regards,
James
Quote 0 0
KayM
Thank you James, I appreciate your insight and reaching out.
Quote 0 0
Jan_H
I am very sorry for your loss of sweet BB. It must have been shocking to have your big, strong boy suddenly collapse. It is good that he didn't suffer and that he was enjoying a walk with his favorite people. But still it is heartbreaking to lose him so suddenly when he seemed in perfect health.

My condolences,
Jan
Quote 0 0
anang
My love goes out to you for you and BB. Loss of a pet is agonizing and life-altering whether quick or lingering. Please know how much your BB loved you and how much joy he experienced until the end. Please don't take this as insensitive, as I have recently lost my baby girl cat Ana Ng after 19 and a half years, but I think oftentimes the pain is worse for the loved ones left on earth. Our babies have crossed the RB and are peacefully enjoying themselves. 
I'm so sorry for your doggie loss,
Katie
K. Unger
Quote 0 0
KayM
Thank you all for your support, it really does bring some comfort to share our grief, as painful as it is. And yes, the pain is all ours, may our dear pets be resting in peace. Thanks again.
Quote 0 0
DogNana
KayM wrote:

I’m so sorry for your loss. The very same thing happened with our 10 year old Rhodesian Boxer mix.
He was healthy and still doing Agility. One evening while lying on the couch he just didn’t wake up. I was just with him within 8-9 min before and he was fine. The vet said most likely it was a heart attack.

I felt just as you do. It was easy for him, no suffering and Im grateful for that. It was excruciating for us because it was so unexpected and sudden. No goodbyes. I was heartbroken and angry that he didn’t have more time to do all the things he loved. The pain doesn’t go away it Just subsides to a different level.

Oscar, always Mommy’s Boy, forever in my ❤️ 
Quote 0 0
KayM
My sincere condolences on your loss. It is just do hard to wrap your head around a seemingly healthy dog just dying on the spot. They are such a huge part of our lives and nothing is the same. Yesterday was the first day I didn't spend most of the day crying but he is never off of my mind. You are right, the pain doesn't go away but it will lessen over time. We were blessed to have them. I wish you healing and peace. I have found this forum to be a great source of release. Hopefully you as well.
Quote 0 0