Forum

Author   Comment  
Dec2019

Reply with quote  #1 
My 5 year old rescue dog got diagnosed with chylothorax over a year ago. Poor thing was struggling and we would have the fluid drained every 3-6 months each time getting about 2 liters. We ended up euthanizing her this week through an er visit where I thought I could just have her lungs drained. She had damage to her lung and air that was causing a collapse lung. I know she would just have continued to suffer but man this is the hardest thing I hav ever done. Has anyone every gone through this horrible disease with their dog and ultimately had to euthanize them?
Thanks, Dawn
Mistysmama

Reply with quote  #2 
Oh Dawn, I am so sorry. I send my kindest thoughts. Your dear dog passed only just over a week ago and you must feel lost without her.

I have no experience with that disease, and had not heard of it before.

But I am sending you  warm thoughts and hope you can find a way through this grieving.

Bless her Soul.

Misty's Blog..a Dogfight with Cancer http://www.mistysblog69.blogspot.co.uk

Misty's life after death: http://www.dog2spirit.com
pannklaus

Reply with quote  #3 
I have not had experience with that disease.  But I have had to make the decision to let my fur babies go three times because of serious illness.  I know how difficult that decision was to make. But you made the right decision to end her suffering.  That was an act of love for her even though it is miserable for you.  And the pain is greater when you think you are just making another vet visit and it turns out to be the last one.

I am so sorry that you now must go through the painful grieving that we all experience when we lose our babies, regardless of how death occurs. You are with the kind people in this forum who understand what you are going through and are here to grieve with you.

Reply with quote  #4 

Dear Dawn,

I have not experienced respiratory illness with a pet, but my Mother died when I was 23 from a rare form of Tuberculosis. She also had to have her lungs drained of fluids regularly. Which was terribly painful for her. She literally coughed herself to death. It took 5 years for her to succumb. She was only 68 LBS. when she passed. It was heartbreaking.

Try and imagine drowning internally. You saved your little girl from further pain & suffering. You showed her mercy. You took her pain and suffering onto yourself when you made that final call. Which is one of the highest forms of self-sacrifice IMO.

Take care and be gentle with yourself.

Kind regards,
James
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.