davey1 Show full post »
davey1

I have been writing down memories and have this one to share:

When I was a rebellious teenager, I tried to sneak out to play video games at a friends house. Not yet being able to drive, and void of other options, I scrunched myself up on my little brother’s bike, said goodbye to David, and set off. I could hear his strong bark cutting through the otherwise silent night. I thought, "how is such a strong noise coming from such a little guy?!"
He was calling me home raising the alarm that I was out at an impossible hour. I made it halfway around the block before I extended the miniature kickstand and began to contemplate my next action. He would most certainly wake my folks, and then I’d be in deep.
I gave it a minute, and when he did not relent, I regrettably made a u-turn and returned home. I messaged my friends that I would not be coming to play after all. When I squeezed through the gate and retuned my brothers bike I looked at him, Our eyes met it was as if he was saying “good, you’re safe, don’t try that again.” Despite being a little upset, I gave him a smile, pat on the head, a goodnight and went to my room.

I miss you Davey

Davey's Dad
Quote 0 0
jimmy17
What a lovely story, your Davey obviously didn`t want you going out! We lost our 17 yr old Jim on 13th December - the most horrible day I`ve ever had. A couple of days later I bought a lovely notebook which I keep with me all the time and every time a memory of Jim - something funny that he used to do, what he got up to when he was a pup, basically anything - I write it down. I also use it a bit like a diary, writing down my own feelings, how much I miss him, what a great boy he was, and I`m finding that it helps a little bit too. You`ll feel better when you get his ashes back too, I was dreading going back to the vets to pick them up but in a strange way it also felt like he was coming home. Wishing you peace and happiness, take each day at a time and focus on all the great times you had with Davey. Everyone on this site has had very special times and memories with their animals, I feel sorry for people who`ve never known the special bond between an owner and a beloved pet, they make our lives so much richer just by having known them. Jackie, xx
J Taylor
Quote 0 0
Tommyhunter123
Hi Davey's  Dad,
   I to lost my best friend Luckydog this past 10-01-2015. I feel your pain, it seems like it does not get any easier even after 3 months have gone by. You dog sounds like a very special fur angel and we are all praying for you and keeping you in our thoughts. Every time I read a post of the loss of a fur friend their story brings tears to my eyes. May god get you through your losss and watch over you.
david gaspari
luckydogs daddy
David R. Gaspari
Quote 0 0
Bahoomba
I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm going through it, too; had to put down or 15-year-old mixed breed on Monday. The pain is so unbearable at times, still a few days later, that I feel I'm going to pass out.

But I'm going to try to be strong; you have to as well. Your dog would not have lived so long without your love and care. You did a wonderful, amazing thing - you took a living thing and gave it a great life.

You're a hero to me.
Quote 0 0
Burl_B
I had to let my baby of 15+ yrs, go three weeks ago.  It feels so sad and empty without her.  I have cried every single day.  You are not alone in your grief.
Katy Lou, you will forever be in my heart.  Until we meet again.  Daddy loves and misses you so much.  You are daddys daughter.
Quote 0 0
Chulll
Davey sounds like a great dog and a great friend. I am hurting as I write this but you did the right thing as I did for my best friend. They are only with us for a short time and not meant to be here forever.
They are special gifts to us. You loved him and he loved you. Some how we will move on. How? I dint know right now.
Sorry to hear of your loss, I understand how you feel and what you are going through. I miss my girl so much. Only been 4 days since she left and I am still crying. ... you are not alone.
Quote 0 0
JerseyNonna
hi Davey's dad, am so sorry for the loss of your beloved friend of 17.5 years and no matter at what age you've been blessed to enjoy the love of such innocent souls - whether a great long life or one cut too short - the overwhelming grief is the same in all of us.  what you offered your dear friend Davey was a true act of love and courage on your part and that was to allow him to fall asleep to cross the bridge and never be in pain again; to have full function of his body and organs; to be young again and play with all of our beloved friends who have crossed.  while I surely wish my roxie could have lived to such a wonderful old age she was my service dog and being full aussie that she was I know if she was unable to work with me due to her body failing her she would have been miserable.  9 years certainly doesn't come close to the many many years so many of you have been blessed with but i'm now able to look back on those 9 years to know in my heart there was not one second, one minute, one hour or one day that I would change; little by little I find myself able to smile when thinking of her even though my heart is still breaking...visualizing her now at the meadow across the bridge sunning herself belly up or running across the meadow with some new friends as well as past furbabies of mine.  I wish you many hugs, good thoughts and prayers as I do for everyone here in this time of sorrow for all of us.
JerseyNonna
Quote 0 0
Rocky0116
Davey
I know your pain. I had to let my best friend Rocky go yesterday. I had him only 6 years as he got cancer. I have been crying the whole time. We had taken tons of pictures and videos as we knew his time was short.  We watched them last night and I have to admit it did help, it was as if he was still here. We laughed as he barked as the UPS guy at the door and when he played with his squeekies. Maybe that would help you too. I pray for all of us who have lost a part of us. It just hurts and is hard to understand why.  I pray we will all get to see them again.

God bless
Quote 0 0
davey1
I can't believe a whole month has passed since I had to let my best friend go...sometimes it feels like it just happened yesterday. I have been continuing to write down happy memories of Davey and have been compiling photos and videos of him. He's always in the back of my mind, sometimes as a puppy, other times I'm watching him slip away all over again, I tear up at random times. His ashes are now safe at home, knowing where he is has brought me some comfort. Thank you all so much for your replies, your support means a lot to me and helps give me strength. Thank you for understanding me, relating to me, and appreciating how special Davey is to me.
Davey's Dad
Quote 0 0
BonnieB
I'm sorry to hear about your baby Davey....the way I try to look at it (I lost my guy on 1/6/16) is that Davey was lucky to have someone to love him the way you did, so many little guys don't ever have that.  And, Davey would only want you to be happy, that's the part that breaks our hearts when we think about them but he wouldn't want you to be sad.  He would want to say thank you for loving him all those many years.  It's hard, I know, but one day hopefully we will both look back on our boys and only remember happy times and it will bring smiles to our faces.  Good luck to you.
Bonnie
Quote 0 0