Christinatara
Hi All,

Thank you for everyone who has been so kind to me as I continue my intense, struggling grieving and regretful process of having my dog euthanized.

I was wondering if anyone on this board is actually a veterinarian or knows exactly, bit by bit, how euthanasia works, especially if a vet provides a sedative first (which is what my vet did). One of the things I feel guilty about, among everything else, is that I let my vet take my dog's body away and I wish I had kept his body with me overnight (I did cremate him a week later and was at the cremation, which was private and I watched).

Any insight into the euthanasia procedure and process on the body would be helpful. My mind is kind of all over the place, wondering, especially as I just read the new National Geographic issue about the mind/body separation at death.

Thank you everyone so much for your support.

Quote 0 0
lizzie_252
Christina,

I do too have lots of regrets about euthanizing my beloved cat Zizi nine days ago.  I know now there were more things I could have done and one of them was keeping her longer on fluids at the vet, not just two days, and having more tests done. She wasn't eating or drinking at this point  but she didn't seem to be in pain. How I wish I were calmer when I came to the clinic that day and that I had taken her home. I think it would have been easier for her and for me if she had died at home instead of me playing God with her life. I will never know now, maybe she could have been with me a little longer.

I don't think I can ever do it again. I feel really sorry for what are you going through but I wanted to let you know you're not alone in your grief and guilt.  I have these guilt feelings every days since she passed. I wish I had done it differently, brought her home with meds and support and let her die in her familiar place with the people she loved.

Liz
Mom of Zizi , 2002 - 2016
Quote 0 0
elliemeewiz
I'm so sorry for your loss and pain Christina, 

I think it's a pretty good process... first they inject a valium like drug to relax them and then a large dose of barbituate which causes anesthesia- meaning they're not conscious of anything and then they're heart/breathing stops. My Wiz was gone in seconds. I guess unless something goes wrong it is the best way to go. Sometimes they are suffering long before we get to this point but they do such a good job of concealing it and they don't want to leave us. I have never had a pet die at home. I regret not going for the euthanasia of my furbaby dog mitzi when I was teenager- I wasn't given a choice for that but I think I remember being scared to go. I really regret that now because I was certainly old enough to be there for her.  She was my first soul mate angel when I was a young child. She came into my room to sleep the night before she left- she wanted to be with me. Now all my furbabies sleep in my room every night if they want to- which Wiz did. 

I dont' think it's a good idea to have a pet who is very ill with a painful disease like cancer die at home... how do we know if they are suffering terribly.. I know Mitzi was and so did Angie start to the day before we let her go. That was largely down to convenia which caused a severe anemia. I think we all have some doubts and second guessing. I don't regret letting them go as peacefully as possible. Byron was the worst because it wasn't peaceful due to the malpractice that happened right before. I'm not saying don't let them pass at home if you think they're not suffering etc. Sometimes it just happens. I wanted someone to come to the house this time but I think denial and other things stopped me from preparing for it properly.

I've had several sedations, I've been given valium like drugs first and then the anesthesia.. last time was propofol.. I wasn't aware of anything until I woke up. It was great.

Here is a link I found.. our furbabies dvm described it like this too...

http://www.humananimalbondtrust.org/euthanasia.html
My beloved sweet Tess August 1999 - February 21 2001
My beloved loyal Byron March 1998 - April 28 2008
My sweet beloved girlie Angelina April 2001- September 2012
Me & my sweet beloved Wizberry forever 1998- April 21, 2016
My sweet beloved Snow Goddess Sybil girlie April 2001- May 11,2018
Quote 0 0
winstonsmom12
Eileen  I wished I had never clicked on that link.  I immediately cried, and am still crying
Susan
Quote 0 0
elliemeewiz
I'm sorry Susan, I thought maybe it would be a comfort to read about it.. I didn't mean to upset you. hugs <3
Quote 0 0
CKMP
Christina and All,
Guilt and what ifs and could haves are painful, painful and consuming emotions.  Please know I can feel your torment as I too am experiencing the same.  Wishes and a desire to replay that decision with calmer hearts and minds are just that for us now, wishes  . . . 
I wish often we could 'turn back time' - reality and life has an awful way of sneaking up on us though.

I am so so sorry for your loss and for your heartbreak - and for the guilt you are experiencing.  I can rationally tell you your mind knows your companion was loved and you did what at the moment felt right and compassionate but the reality is our minds and our hearts do not always 'get along' and while our hearts pull us into deep love they also pull us into deep sorrow and guilt.

Thoughts are with you  . . .
Quote 0 0
Baileysbro
I have to tell you.  Bailey died of natural causes at home because it was his time to go.   With that said, the guilt is overwhelming, I do keep replaying those final days in my mind to see if I did anything different would he still be here with me. If I had noticed anything about him or any odd behavior.  He ate, he drank water, he begged for food when I was eating--I always thought that was so cute--he cleaned my dishes with leftovers I left for him--and the cats but they're finicky eaters--the only indication was his sudden inability to walk and his incontinence.   Those were the only signs I can remember.  He slept a lot sure, but he was a senior dog, up until he couldn't walk, he needed help sometimes standing and he'd ask for it by barking.  That was fine.  I'd work around his not walking and his incontinence, I was willing to put him in diapers as long as he had his appetite and was very much alert which he was. 

With all this said, I still mull over the last couple of weeks I had with him.  What if I did this or what if I did that, Coulda woulda shoulda.  Even if it was his time to go, I'm still racked up to my eyeballs with guilt.
Bailey
October 31, 2002 - April 19, 2016 10:25 P.M.
My best friend, my companion, my love

[e8de4bc1-77ae-4da2-9834-109b68b6cda8]

[Paws-for-the-News-Grieving-the-loss-of-a-pet] 
Quote 0 0
robertian1959
Hi , had to put my baby girl Gemma down on 12/14/15 and the feeling of guilt and worry that had she suffered anything at all really caused me great grief .

Although i was present through the whole process and saw that it was quick and painless i still wondered was it . Though i still feel guilty i know it was the right decision ,where she always hated going into the vet and would tremble the whole time that day she just put her head on my shoulder and snuggled into me , when the vet injected her she just jooked at me the whole time till her head dropped and was pronounced dead .

Five months and it still brings the tears thinking of it .First it was i thought she was like  what are you doing to me , but now know it was thank you for ending my misery. Like you i wanted to be certain that she did go quick and painlessly as have heard the brain can still be aware for upto a few minutes after death. After read a few articles on the web i'am convinced and hopeful that it is as they say 

gemma at park.jpg  puppy.jpg 
Gemma's Daddy
Quote 0 0
winstonsmom12
Eileen  Just the memory of that day was what upset me the most.  In my opinion, Euthanasia is like easing a terminal patient out of their misery with Morphine slowly.  I think it is basically overdosing the pet and they don't feel a thing.  I hope I am right.  I'd like others opinions.  Sue
Susan
Quote 0 0
Rachel1974
That's what is upsetting myself right now, I just can't get how agitated she was when they sedated her, it took ages for her to be calm and I could do was hold her face and kiss her, the other part was over in seconds and we opted for her to be cremated on her own and her ashes to be given to us. I sat with her in the back of the car on the journey there and she knew, she kept nudging me with her face, I just kept kissing her and crying. I feel I've let her down
Quote 0 0
Christinatara
Thank you everyone for these answers. I'm still curious if anyone knows the process very well. I know AVMA has certain regulations, but just wondered if there's others who have the knowledge with "regular speak."

It does seem there is a consciousness that still is alive or awake after death. I feel very guilty that the vets took my dog's body away from my home...like my dog knew he was being carried away from me. I know some people who have died have out of body experiences.

Anyway if anyone does know more about the process and has their own thoughts on what happens, I would be grateful.

Thank you for this forum very much.
Quote 0 0
elliemeewiz
I think their spirit stays around for a while after it leaves their body... that is partly why we do a wake for a day or two and then we used to bury them... For Angie and Wiz we did cremation. Angie had a necropsy so she was cremated there and then sent back to me and Wiz we dropped off after his wake, had a two day wait till his funeral and then took his ashes home that day. But I think the spirit stays floating around wherever it wants to be. I felt the love and presence of Tess one day in the garden in the weeks after her death.. she was indoor/outdoor and used to stay with me in the garden a lot.. someone I was emailing at the time said their spirits stay around as long as they know you need them to help you. 
Quote 0 0