ellensadiesmom
I am new to this board & hope I am placing this in the right place.
It is a bit long, but there is never enough room for us to express our love.
I am 50, married, & work at home.  Sadie was with me 24/7.
My home is empty and so is my heart.

MY SWEET SADIE (5/13/96 - 1/02/10)

IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF MY DEAR SWEET SADIE, WHOSE UNCONDITIONAL LOVE, DEVOTION, LOYALTY, UNDERSTANDING AND PATIENCE, BRIGHTENED MY HEART WITH JOY, LOVE, AND HAPPINESS EVERY DAY OF MY LIFE FOR 13 ½ YEARS.

In my heart I lost the only child I’d ever had. It just so happens she was born with a furry coat and four legs.

A black Standard Poodle named Sadie . She was adopted at 5 months of age. And in the corner of my mind, I knew that we were connected then, and would be for all time. The hole in my heart is deep, and the pain intense, I call her and she doesn’t come. She’s nowhere in sight.

It’s been 4 weeks, and I realize that I can’t remember my life without her. She was our "noble" Sadie.

I had asked her years ago to let me know when it was her time , for the pain of making that decision would be too much to bear. And like everything else I’d ever asked her to do, she agreed.

There were times she came close over the years, but she decided there was still some unfinished business she had here on earth to do.

So together we went thru health issues (oh so many health issues) but never giving up and bouncing back each time.

She was a strong girl, a trooper and survived many a time , brought on by her curiosity of life around her, and her desire to continue to be at my side.

There was that time when she decided she liked the taste of sand in our backyard, and filled her intestines to the point where she had to be operated on at the Emergency Vet, to empty them, and also found a small plastic toy thrown in there for good measure.

The time she had bloated one Christmas Eve and her life was saved by a vet at the ER clinic, who gave me the best Xmas present of my entire life. SADIE BACK!

I’ve had several dogs in my life.. And will probably have more, but the bond and connection shared with my Sadie will never be duplicated, or even come close.

She showed me that the simplest of things can bring joy, and that sorrow helps, when you have someone who will listen to you, and fur to absorb your tears.

Sadie and I went thru much in our time together.

Looking out windows was her favorite indoor sport.

Her favorite outdoor sport was looking for and staring down frogs by our pond. When she would spot one, she would go into a point, turn her head looking towards me making sure I saw her spot one.

She loved to watch me garden. She was at my side always.

When my dad passed away 3 months ago, she was there to listen to me, and for her soft fur to absorb my tears. I truly believe she decided to stick around awhile for me to help me grieve for him.

Reflections and memories are poignant and dear. I sense her, and feel her, as if she were by my side.. Sadie, know that there's a loved one that will never forget you.

The ties that bind us are too strong to sever. Just love and emotion that will go on always.

She spent new years eve, and the first day of the New Year with us.

Then on the next day, she did all her favorite things, walking around the pond, sitting under her favorite tree, watching us tinker with plants, coming in the house and taking a treat.

Then she walked up a ramp we had built her to get to her favorite love seat that faced out a window towards our backyard. Her second favorite window in the house.

All of a sudden she was breathing as if it was hard for her to get air . As it seemed harder and harder for her to breathe, I realized she was telling me it was time.

I laid down on that ramp cried , stroked her, told her everything she already knew (how much I loved her, and thanking her for allowing me to share her life, and the joy she brought into my life) .

As my heart broke on the way to the emergency room, I realized that sometimes the loving thing to do, is not always the easy thing to do. But Sadie and I had an understanding, a promise to each other, and I would keep my word as she obeyed me for all those years, and would obey her only favor she had asked from me.

And as she fell asleep on my arm, once again her fur absorbed my tears.

Quote 0 0
nicokudo
Sadie's mom,

I am so sorry that you had to say good-bye to your precious baby,Sadie.  My heart aches just thinking of the pain that you are experiencing today.  May you find peace and strength knowing that you stood up for her and gave her that last/only favor that she ever asked of you.

Karen
Karen,Kudo and Nico's mom
Earth mom to Marco and Bella
Quote 0 0
Mac
What a beautiful tribute to your precious girl Sadie!

There is never enough time with these most special friends and companions - how can we ever thank them enough for the fun, happiness, joy and comfort they bring to our lives?

Sadie knew she was loved, and she showed it by her actions with you. 

Be at peace and know that you will be reunited with her again one day, for what would heaven be without our pets?

My prayers for you and your Sadie.
Quote 0 0
ellensadiesmom
Hi Karen,
It's comforting knowing there is someone who can relate and offer comfort.
The pain is overwhelming especially when I walk in the door and she's not there to greet me.
I was talking to my husband last night and even though she was our furry baby, she was "my" furry baby".  I'm sure you know what I mean.
My hubby loved Sadie but keeps everything in , for he says it hurts to much to talk about.
Me, on the other hand feel a little relief getting what i feel out.
That's when I found this website.
God bless everyone on here.
I had a heart keepsake urn ordered from a website that reads "Forever in my heart" on one side and the other side can be engraved.  I put Sadie, my sweet puppy.  That is what I always said to her up until the end.
I put only some of her beautiful curls from her hair in there.  I thought every time I came in the house she would be with me.
Today was the first day with the key chain.  I opened the door and broke down.  It seemed like a good idea at the time.
I was able to pick up some of her things, but her bed facing out the front door window still remains, along with her first toy "squeeky" on my husbands night table. 
Quote 0 0
ellensadiesmom
Mike,
Thank you for your kind words and prayers.  I'm not sure if I am using this board correctly.  Do I just hit new reply, or something else.  I do not know what a thread is.
I don't want to leave my house because of the pain of returning without Sadie there to greet me.  Her bed is still by the window.

I had regular vet, and a vet who believed in Eastern medicine.  He was fabulous.  She had many health issues .  One was hip dysplasia.  She couldn't walk at 8 yrs of age and wasn't responding to any meds.  We took her 3 hrs away to a dr. who did accupuncture and natural supplements and massage.
Although I was a skeptic, my girl walked and sometimes romped until the end.
He know lives in Australia.  I emailed him and told him of Sadies passing and he emailed me a poem in honor of her.
I will try and copy it on here.  It is for anyone who loses a very special furry child.

Quote 0 0
ellensadiesmom
This is the poem that my vet who moved to Australia sent me in honor of Sadie.  I want to share it, for it is for everyone who has lost a furry loved one.

THE HOUSE DOGS GRAVE

I've changed my ways a little: I cannot now
Run with you in the evenings along the shore,
Except in a kind of dream; and you, if you dream a
moment.
You see me there.

So leave awhile the paw-marks on the front door
Where I used to scratch to go out or in,
And you'd soon open; leave on the kitchen floor
The marks of my drinking pan.

I cannot lie by your fire as I used to do
On the warm stone,
Nor at the foot of your bed; no, all the nights through
I lie alone.

But your kind thought has laid me less than six feet
Outside your window where firelight so often plays,
And where you sit to read - and I fear often grieving for
me -
Every night your lamplight lies on my place.

You, man and woman, live so long, it is hard
To think of you ever dying.
A little dog would get tired, living so long.
I hope that when you are lying

Under the ground like me your lives will appear
As good and joyful as mine.

No, dears, that's too much hope: you are not so well
cared for
As I have been.

And never have known the passionate undivided
Fidelities that I knew.
Your minds are perhaps too active, too many-sided...
But to me you were true.

You were never masters, but friends.  I was your friend.
I loved you well, and was loved.  Deep loves endures
To the end and far past the end.  If this is my end,
I am not lonely, I am not afraid.  I am still yours.

Quote 0 0