LaurenceReno
To all the people out there who have lost a beloved pet - I sure you can relate to this:

GOODBYE, LITTLE CHARLY

by

Laurence Almand

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” — Anatole France

The death of a beloved pet is always sad and depressing, as bitter as losing a child, but it must be accepted, since nothing can live forever.

Charly was always a vibrant, energetic little cattle dog, dashing over the hills and running through the woods, always active, always friendly. He loved children. When I took him to Rock Park down by the Truckee River and children were in

the playground he would always run to join them.

During our frequent bike rides on the Truckee River Bike Trail he kept up with me, dashing along sniffing at everything, full of the joy of life. Lake Tahoe trails were paradise for him, and he chased about, exploring endlessly.

At the age of ten he developed a serious infection in his upper right jaw, which proved to be cancerous, and was rapidly spreading into his brain. There was no

alternative as to what had to be done.

Dogs have no concept of age or illness, so when he became sicker he looked

at me with sad eyes, as if to say “Daddy, what’s happening to me?”

Making the decision to euthanize a pet is extremely difficult and painful, but

often is the best action to take, in order to prevent further suffering.

I took Charly for one final hike on the Truckee River Trail, where he had loved

to run. In contrast to formerly dashing about, Charly took his time, walking

slowly along the trail, taking in the scents and sounds, as if he knew it was the last time he would ever be there.

I had him euthanized quickly, and then cremated. After I received his ashes I scattered them along the Trail and in the park. I think he would like that.

If dogs have ghosts, I hope Charly’s is out there, dashing around the park and playing with the children.

Laurence
Quote 0 0
Pecan_mom

Thank you so much for sharing and I’m so sorry for your loss.  

My beloved dog Pecan passed away suddenly 8 weeks ago.  I miss her so much as she was with me 24/7 and was my true soulmate. Not knowing the cause is killing me and I feel so guilty for not being able to save her.  I’m so mad and can’t believe she’s gone and I will never see her beautiful face again!  Your post really touched my heart.  I wish you all the best. Hopefully someday I feel happy and somewhat normal again.  I don’t know if it’s possible.  

Sp
Quote 0 0
LaurenceReno
Yes, it is so sad and bitter when a beloved pet dies. I know just how sad and empty you feel. Charly and I had 10 happy years together, and I will always treasure the memories of those times. Getting over the sadness takes time, but the depression will fade, and we can look back on all the happy times we had, instead of dwelling on the last days. All the best...
Laurence
Laurence
Quote 0 0
cgoursau
What a wonderful, happy life you and Charley had, a lot of fun, happy memories. I'm sorry that cancer took him. 
Peace and comfort to you🙏
cathleen Goursau
Quote 0 0
Henizwhoa
Laurence, I’m so sorry for your loss. Carly lived a great life and I know he’s smiling down at her dad.  
Forever in our heart Lilo, Onyx, and Lola
Quote 0 0
Henizwhoa
My sincere apology for the typo, may Charly Rest In Peace. 
Forever in our heart Lilo, Onyx, and Lola
Quote 0 0
BoxerMomForever
That is a beautiful eulogy.  I’m sorry for your loss.
Linda *Mom to two boxer angels* Lily {White Girl} 6/22/09 - 10/14/19  ** Ginger {Flashy Fawn Girl} 6/4/97 - 5/28/09
Quote 0 0
Monroegirl
Very beautiful. So sorry for the loss of your Charly.
Quote 0 0
BorderCollieLover
Laurence:

That was a wonderful tribute to your Charly. You mentioned that he was a "little cattle dog." I'm assuming that you are referring to Australian Cattle Dogs. The reason I'm inquiring is that Australian Cattle Dogs are closely related to Border Collies. Both breeds share many of the same traits (high propensity for herding, keen intellect, extremely agile, etc.). Charly sounds like he was a wonderful companion for you. He was so blessed to have had you as his human person. Thank You for sharing those special memories of him. 

Sending positive thoughts your way,
Jim
Jim Miller
Quote 0 0