ruttybean
I am posting here, hoping, that I can attain closure, in deciding to euthanize my cat, just days ago. He was diagnosed with an enlarged heart and mega colon. This diagnosis came about, inadvertently,after he was brought to the vet for malaise and constipation.
The vet concluded,that he would have to anestize him and do an enema. The vet also said he would administer subcutaneous fluids and give a cortisone shot for a inflammation of the intestines.
All went well, until we got him home, where he began to make crackling noises, as he tried to breathe. We rushed him back, and an X-ray was done, and the vet came bavk and told us the cat had an enlarged heart. Andy was in congestive heart failure. What a way to find out!!! Andy couldn't pump all that fluid away from his heart fast enough because his heart muscle was damaged. The cortisone made it worse, over taxing the heart more.
By whatever miracle he survived and we took him home with heart Meds . He seemed to be doing alright, with a little weight gain and a better appetite, until nine days later, I found him straining severely at the box. He strained so hard, he vomited. I scooped him up in my arms, cradled him, and told him I loved him, and asked God to help him.
I decided to make an appointment with an emergency room vet to ascertain whether his heart was truly enlarged or it was an acute event. I also wanted an ultrasound of his intestines to figure out why he was having such a difficult time evacuating his bowels.
I haven't yet made sense of what happened that day. I went from getting a second opinion to being told by this vet, that,"it wouldn't be a wrong decision to euthanize..." This vet felt that this cat, had a lot of issues,"
And stated, " that once they go into congestive heart failure, it could happen again, without warning."
She also wanted to do an enema, but also stated it would be risky with the enlarged heart to put him under anesthesia. She also said that mega colon causes chronic constipation and regular enemas would have to be administered.
At that point, my husband and I broke down in uncontrollable tears. We knew then, that Andy wasn't coming home....
What I need to know from you is this. How much time can you buy your cat with a damaged heart. Did I end his life prematurely? Are there any people out there that have had a cat with mega colon?
Some feedback would be helpful with closure
Mary Lewis
Quote 0 0
Monty13
Hi Mary,
I'm sorry I don't know too much about an enlarged heart. If it's any help, however, I think that you made the right decision even though you had to make it quickly. If your Andy was straining so hard in the litter box that he vomited he must have been very sick. My parents made the decision with Monty and I'm glad I didn't have to make it but if the vet brought up euthanizing your cat they must have felt he was in a lot of pain. I'm so sorry for your loss and I wish I had more answers. Please take care!!
Quote 0 0
chicagocats
Hi Mary
I'm sorry for the loss of your kitty. The process of understanding what is happening when it happens so fast is difficult. Things spiral so quickly sometimes we can't grasp what is going on.

It sounds like he had two issues that were at opposition with one another. Megacolon can often require fluids, but the fluids put pressure on the heart. 

I have read many people hear suggesting to others that they make an appointment to talk to the vet so they can fully understand what happened and come to terms with the decision that was made. It is difficult for anyone here to know the extent of your kitty's condition. Your vet knows your kitty's condition and can discuss in depth why treating him long term may have proven unsuccessful. In my experience, vets don't suggest euthanizing without good reason. Their knowledge about illnesses is much more extensive than ours.

Everything you did, you did out of love. You sought medical attention when your kitty needed it.

I hope you are able to find some answers and get some peace with the decisions that were made. 
Quote 0 0
ruttybean
I would like to thank the two people that responded. I suppose in my heart, I know I did what had to be done. I think if Andy only had a bowel issue, and not a heart issue, he would still be here. I believe I was too scared to find Andy gasping for breath from congestive heart failure, more than anything.
The sense of helplessness that overpowers a pet owner in that regard is indescribable. Just weeks before Andys death, I witnessed my 16 year old cat, dying in our dining room, when we awoke that morning.
I nearly collapsed
I think we find ourselves reliving those last moments thinking that we should have done things differently. I believe we are bitter, that our pets life has come to that, and we want them to stay with us as long as we live. Somehow, we think it should be like that, but the sting of reality really does hurt. I am still having a hard time with this, simply because all of my cats are now gone, and at my age, and as long as my cats live, replacing them is something that I am wrestling with...
Again thank you for taking the time to respond. To all of you that are dealing with this, I have asked God to remember each and everyone of you, that he will give you peace and calm

Mary Lewis
Quote 0 0
kayeen
It is devastating to get a diagnosis of heart disease on a cat.
Quote 0 0
lissab
I'm so sorry, Mary. My little boy died in my arms June 25. He had chronic renal failure diagnosed in October, he wasn't even 4 years old. It worsened despite subq's fluids and everything else, when I finally was able to get to the University of Florida Vet school, I was considering a transplant. I would have found the money if it could have saved him, it was there they found he had HCM. Not eligible for a transplant because of it and medication to treat the heart condition would have destroyed his kidneys. I know it's heartbreaking and I'm still trying to cope. My prayers and thoughts are with you and your husband. You should eventually get another. Love of a new baby will keep you going, so don't think your ever too old.
Lisa
Quote 0 0