Reeladyd
Ok, here I go.  Saturday I am going to see some puppies.  My heart is aching for Tamarin, but my house is so empty and silent.   I have been obsessing with puppies, grief and love -I feel like a pressure cooker ready to blow.  I thought maybe I should wait but then I think if I do, I will think that I wasted so much time waiting!  I think I am overthinking....I am off for the summer and It will be the perfect time to train a new fur baby......
     When we first got Tamarin, my husband called me to tell me all about these puppies and I said "no!!! I dont have time or patience for a dog right now"  So then I obsessed for a day or so and called him at work and said  "OK so give me this guys phone number"  I went that evening and picked out our new puppie and he turned out to be the absolute best little companion we ever had. 

Wish me luck.....
Quote 0 0
cleopatra
I rescued a dog.  I read the dog's will and testament

Before humans die, they write their last will and testament, giving their home and all they have to those they leave behind. If, with my paws, I could do the same, this is what I’d ask…

To a poor and lonely stray I’d give my happy home; my bowl and cozy bed, soft pillow and all my toys; the lap, which I loved so much; the hand that stroked my fur; and the sweet voice that spoke my name.

I’d will to the sad, scared shelter dog the place I had in m human’s loving heart, of which there seemed no bounds.

So, when I die, please do not say, “I will never have a pet again, for the loss and the pain is more than I can stand.”

Instead, go find an unloved dog, one whose life has held no joy or hope, andgive my place to him.

This is the only thing I can give…

The love I left behind.

So I read that and off I went out and adopted a 9 yearold!.  And although I am now all wrapped up  in training and paying attention to my new dog I found it made me miss my Cleo that much more and I realized I was not ready.  But that emptiness and loniliness is just so huge.  I know it will take time but I just wanted to let you know my experience maybe you will have a different experience because each of us is so different in our grieving process.  But it did make it harder for me because I don't think I was ready.  But then maybe we never truly are.....  we just learn to love again.... 

Jennifer Swanton
Quote 0 0
spiritdog
That is it Cleopatra.......we do just learn to love again.

It took a year after my little Mitch died and I got another Pom, I hated him! For the first couple days that is........it is hard to make a new friend, when you old friend was as comfortable as a raggedy bathrobe. And that "hated" dog is now the one I grieve for now, Sidekick.

So whether it is weeks, or a year, it is always an adjustment.
"People disappoint, dogs never do" - spiritdog

"You MUST be your pets ADVOCATE, if it doesn't feel right walk away." - spiritdog
Quote 0 0
ThomasCatsMummy
I got two new cats a fortnight after losing my precious boy.  I know it was the right thing to do and you getting a new puppy will be wonderful, but there are so many mixed emotions.  I love the poem that Cleopatra has posted, summed up how I feel.  Just be careful of those moments when the new pup does something that reminds you of Tamarin. 
Thomas Cat
In our lives 14/4/2009 - 18/05/2013
In our hearts forever
Quote 0 0
Reeladyd
Oh, I already anticipate that he will do things that remind me of Tamarin....and I will tell him all about his brother....and one day he will tilt his head and look at me as if he understands...All dogs are good, loving and will make wonderful companions it just takes time to develop the new relationship...your heart needs to be open...mine has never closed, I will give the love I had for my lil guy to another doggie.... Greiving for my Tamarin will take time, but I do have love for another.
Quote 0 0
firelace
  Good luck and follow your heart. And I hope one chooses you. :-) At least that is how is has always worked for me. Only you know if you are ready. So I wish you luck. Sending positive thoughts your way.
RIP our beautiful shining Star. We love you and will miss you always and forever.
Quote 0 0
Reeladyd
LOL...  all three of them chose me, but I could only pick one........ a little boy scnauzer, will adopt him at the end of the week when they have their next shots, eyes checked and final vet check up....I wish my Tamarin was here to see him.....As a tribute to Tamarin he will be called "Ripple".....(grateful Dead).....
Quote 0 0