Kcr
This past Easter April 5th, my 7 and 1/2 year old chocolate lab, Ella, got in ate a good amount of ham. We honestly didn't think much about it, at worse thought she may get an upset stomach. The next evening, Monday, she threw up her dinner. She threw up three more times over a several hours span. The last time she was beginning to act restless and panting. We called the emergency hospital and took her right away. We were told it was an upset stomach and they would keep her over night for iv fluid. The next morning the doctor called and said they were concerned because she wasn't responding to the iv fluid like she should be. An ultra sound was performed and she was diagnosed with severe pancreatitis. She was put in the ICU and was getting around the clock treatment. The outlook was still positive, we were just waiting for the medication and fluids to do its job. That never happened. Wednesday morning the call brought the news that she wasn't responding to treatment and her temperature was still high. We went to visit her that afternoon. She was able to walk and was responsive when we talked to her. The doctor stated this can be very unpredictable but still felt she would turn the corner. Overnight she started to decline. When the doctor called on Thursday he said she developed a heart arrhythmia and seemed to be doing worse. They went in and did another ultra sound and found that it was even more inflamed. The doctor still had hope that she could pull through. We went to visit her and had to go back to the ICU to see her. It broke my heart to see her sick. I asked to speak to the doctor who was treating her. He stated he was very concerned about her, but wasn't counting her out yet stating she could still turn around giving it 50/50. He and my vet agreed to try treatment for another 24 hours and see her response.She was at one of the best treatment facilities in the country, so I had faith in what the doctor was telling us. About two hours later I got a call that she went into cardiac arrest and they were performing cpr. This was done for 20 minutes, she never came back. My Ella passed away on April 9th. My world has been rocked. I loved her so much and she was a big part of our family. Getting out of bed has been hard, being in our home has been hard. I can't believe that eating ham took the life of my baby. Every morning she would wake me up, and walk me to the door when Ieave for work. She was the first one to greet me when I came home. I am going to miss so many things about her. She left behind her sister Avery, who is a 6 year old chocolate lab. I honestly don't know how I'm going to get through this. The pain is overwhelming and there will forever be a huge hole in my heart. I am thankful for the precious years I had with her. We love and miss you Ella.
Quote 0 0
ScruffysMom
Dear Kcr,
I had a similar situation 15 days ago with my 8 yr old rescue dog, Scruffy. Not sure what it was that he ate, but he had similar symptoms and also spent time in the hospital and did not respond to treatment. It is a heart wrenching time. I have a hole in my heart as well. My thoughts and prayers go out to you.
Quote 0 0
Kcr
Bsmith1199 -I don't have a clue what you mean by your above statement, but take it off my page.
Quote 0 0
Kcr
Thank you scruffysmom. So sorry about your loss. Thoughts and prayers to you too.
Quote 0 0
BSmith1199
KCR, I was referring to the spammers who came into the forum and flooded the front page with garbage.  I hate to see grieving people lose their front page status due to spammers.  We all deserve better.

I am very sorry for your loss and apologize if you thought what I said was targeted at you.  It was not.

Your post had been moved off the front page due to spammers hitting the forums.  I was just "bumping" it back in to the front page.
Smokey (1959-1959, car), Prissy (1966-1968, car), Tina (1955-1974, old age), Rags (1976-1980, stolen), Dax (1999-2015, my choice, due to renal failure), Shelby & Jag (2015)

You only think you are training them.  When they are gone, you finally get it.
Quote 0 0
ahartofilis
Dear Kcr. I am very sorry for the loss of your girl Ella. It saddens me so, as I also had a chocolate Lab named Coco who recently left for the bridge. I appreciate how you are feeling now. It can be so difficult when something like this happens so unexpectantly with no time to process it, to say good-bye, or to have the time and do all of the things that you thought you would be able to with Ella.
  My girl was 10yrs old and diagnosed with bone cancer. Three weeks later I had to let her go. Those three weeks were very bittersweet. I knew that her days were numbered. I must have told her I loved her at least 100 times a day. Whatever the circumstances are, we are never truly ready to let them go. The grief over her loss has hit me in a terrible way. I didn't leave my bed for weeks unless it was to go to work or get things done. I understand how you are feeling now. I know that nothing can take that pain away, perhaps you will receive some comfort from those here that know how it feels.
  I feel badly for Avery as well. She will feel the loss of her sister. Labs are such loving, intuitive dogs, they need companionship. I think it will help you a lot to focus on caring for Avery. I have another Lab now, and just being with him has been a great source of comfort and healing. My thoughts are with you......................Sincerely, Andrea
Quote 0 0
4sckings
I know it's been a while since you posted this. This exact thing just happened to my 8 year old lab Ellie. A neighbor roasted a pig on thanksgiving and she got into their scraps. We took her to the er vet right away but she did not respond to the meds for acute pancreatitis. She was in organ failure in 3 days. She died Monday, November 30, 2015. Like you, who knew pork could kill a dog. My children, our family is heartbroken. We had just hung her stocking and ornament on the tree. We had purchased a new house and bed for her. She loved Christmas and opening presents. Our home has lost a lot of joy. It will never be the same without her.

Quote 0 0
Kcr
So sorry to hear about the loss of Ellie.  I know - I never knew that pork could kill.  We are very careful as to what we give our dogs, almost overprotective.  I never would have thought this could have killed her. Even with the best vets and treatment, she did not respond. I too am finding Christmas tough.  Ella, like Ellie, was a member of our family.  I am still very much grieving the loss of her. She too loved when I wrapped Christmas gifts (she would always lay right where I was wrapping) and enjoyed all of the cooking.  We did get a puppy at the end of July.  I was a little nervous about bringing another dog into our home when I still miss Ella terribly.  It has helped, especially with our other lab Avery.  Not a day goes by that I don't think of Ella.  There are still many tears, but I am now able to think of happy times with her and not the final few days.
Quote 0 0