Registered: 1534446612 Posts: 12
Reply with quote #1
So many what ifs.My 19 yr old princess has squamous cell carcinoma on her nose and I don't know if I'm doing the right thing in seeking treatment for her.When she was 12,she had a stroke in my arms. I held her for 2 hours ,begging her not to leave. Her recovery took a year-3mos. of force feeding,nine mos. of subcutaneous fluids because she refused to drink,,coaxing her out for walkies on her leash (of course she has a silk collar).I can't bear the reality of her beautiful face destroyed by cancer(She loves the camera),,but she is still my beautiful, healthy,Eekamo and how can I end her life now,before she suffers?Am I being selfish,or overly emotional because I have
lost 2 of my cats to cancer in 1 month?Slim was 20,Robert the Bruce was only a year old.i'm scared of the money thing,I'm scared what if they can't help her,I'm scared of having to make"the decision for the third time.Any help would be greatly appreciated
Registered: 1457620483 Posts: 479
Reply with quote #2
Dear Bizzy, I'm so sorry you've had so many losses. It can't be easy, that's for sure and I really feel for you.
I thought about your post before replying because I can imagine how hard it is for you after losing your other sweet cats. I think it comes down to: what will this new treatment do for your cat? for you? You love Eekamo and you want to do what is best for her because of that. You will want to know if here may be a chance that this has spread or that what you are seeing had already manifested someplace else. I remember with my second dog, the vet wanted to do surgery and I had to say no. It wasn't a financial concern. It was because I didn't want to put my baby through that. I think you will have to look at all of the pros and cons but in reference to what is best for Eekamo. You don't want her to suffer unnecessarily if the treatment is not going to guarantee a good outcome and by that I mean that she would have a good chance of remaining cancer free. She is 19. You've loved her and given her a happy life. The sad truth is that we will all, including our pets, go at some point and at some point you will have to decide if you want her to go with dignity and with no more suffering. From what you've described it sounds to me like this cancer may be very painful. The nose is such a sensitive area! I'm so sorry!! This is not what you want to hear and I feel so bad for you and for Eekamo that this is happening. I hope my words can help. I wouldn't want you to have regrets later on and I know that one of the biggest can be holding on too long because we love them so much. I'm glad you're getting a second opinion from a dermatologist and I hope they will be straight with you and not looking at the financial aspects. Please write again about your sweet Eekamo. My love to you, CK
Registered: 1534446612 Posts: 12
Reply with quote #3
I know in my heart what you are saying about Eek.There is a new radiation therapy for her specific cancer,possible remission with one round. I feel i have to at least look into it,and maybe buy her enough time to die in her sleep,like my big bad Bug did when he was 17.I'll find out Wed the 19th. The other choice is too painful to contemplate.I know she's 19,she should have died when she was 12,I can't give up on her.Thank you for reaching out.Please know it hellps.
(2.47 MB, 2 views)