ebbsmom Show full post »
Moxie
Ebby was a beautiful dog, and I am so, so, SO sorry she's not by your side where she should be.  It's not right and it's not fair.  I know if she were here and could talk to you, she'd tell you how much she loved you, how thankful she was for being rescued and how much she appreciated every day of her life and how happy she was.   Take solace in knowing you provided a beautiful life for her--what dog wouldn't want what she had?  It sounds like heaven!  Take comfort knowing that from the day she came into your life until the day she departed that she never had to worry about being safe and loved...she was both of those things...and more.  I think she'd tell you that she thought she was the luckiest dog in the world to have the best mom in the world.  She would.  I'm sure of it.

Losing a pet is so very hard. The second guessing, could have, should have, would have are maddening and painful for sure. I lost my Golden Moxie on 5/27 and a day does not go by that I do not think of him and miss him terribly. I am trying to allow myself to think about all the good times I had with him. It is hard, but has been helping. Please know I am thinking of you and sending you peace, love, hugs and prayer. 

Quote 0 0
ebbsmom
I had to go to the vet yesterday to pick up some pills for another one of our dogs, Jackie.  I was doing fine, until the vet that had seen Ebby saw me and started to walk out to the waiting room.  I told him not to say anything, he came over and gave he a really heartfelt hug.  I was sobbing, and he even had tears in his eyes.  I don't blame them, it was just something that happened and they tried their best.  I just miss her so much - shedding tears every day.
Love you to the moon and back....
Quote 0 0
ebbsmom
Yesterday was better - I only cried once.  However, when I woke up today it hit me all over again.  It just seems so unfair.  How can a perfectly healthy, happy dog (8 years old) get so sick overnight?  The 2-1/2 days that she was sick seem like a nightmare to me.....still feel like I want to wake up!  I've got so much I need to do around here, but just feel so low energy!  I think about Ebby all the time and miss her incredibly.  So do the other dogs - even though I think they are doing better than I am.
Quote 0 0
ebbsmom
Ebby, we are starting to get things ready to go the cabin - one of your very favorite places  AND I SO WISH YOU WERE HERE TO GO WITH US!!!  We'd stop and swim at the lake, eat our snacks and you could run with Jackie and Bernie.  Yesterday I thought I was doing a bit better, but today I don't even want to go anywhere.  I still can't understand why you got sick so suddenly.  It just still seems like a nightmare - the worst 3 days of my life!!  I just don't know how to get past this...........
Quote 0 0
GoldenLove
ebbsmom,

It was so sweet of you to be the first one to leave a comment on Divot's thread yesterday amid your own grief. Your grief is so fresh and my heart goes out to you for your loss of Ebby. I was unaware, before reading Ebby's story, that anemia can strike so suddenly...seamingly from out of nowhere...and be so devastating.

I love her bedtime story! It is quite evident from all you have written that she was loved so deeply. You provided her with a second chance when you rescued her and Jackie. She lived a wonderful life....a dog's dream come true....because of you!

I know your trip to the cabin will be bittersweet, but I believe Ebby will be there watching over you and her sister Jackie.

I share in your grief and my thoughts are with you.

Take care,

Terri
(Divot's Mom)

It's impossible to forget a dog that gave you so much to remember.
Quote 0 0
jaschutz
Ebbsmom,

Your thoughts of losing a practically healthy 8 year old dog are the thoughts I have every day. I lost my first golden retriever when she was only 6. London was 8 when we lost her. It doesn't feel fair (to us or to them) does it? I think the hardest part of this journey is not knowing why these things have to happen. Animals are such innocent and happy creatures and they have to endure so much pain in their lifetime. What makes us deserving, as humans, to live long lives and to have all these medical treatments to fight illnesses? It doesn't seem right. When London was going through her accident, I would have switched places with her, endured the pain she was enduring, just so she wouldn't have to. I would have done anything to prevent her from going through that. Unfortunately, life isn't fair. I am picking up our kitten on Monday and will be taking her to London's vet at the end of the week. I know it will be emotional, just like it was for you, to be back there. I haven't been back since the night we had to let London go. I hope every day is getting a little easier for you. After I first lost London, I thought it was a good thing when I went a day without crying for her. But now, I just think it is better to cry and to let us feel those emotions as they come. I still cry for London, though not as much. Even though I may not be constantly crying, I still miss her all the same and have that aching feeling inside knowing that she is gone. I think it is all a process and every stage of grief has different hurdles, none easier than the other. Thinking of you and sweet Ebby!
Jamie

You can visit London's memorial at:
http://RainbowsBridge.com/residents/LONDO001/Resident.htm
Quote 0 0
MurphysMom_0831
I'm so sorry for the loss of your precious Ebby. Your story is so touching and beautiful, as are your girls.

When I was finally able to pick up Murphy's urn from the hospital 6 days after letting him go it was heartbreaking, but I did feel a great deal of comfort that he was finally home again where he felt safe and secure after spending his last 13 days in the cold, sterile hospital, and then the extended (so it seemed) time it took for him to be returned to me. I hope having Ebby home where she belongs is of some comfort to you during this extremely difficult time. How fortunate Ebby and Jackie are to have such a wonderful home with a loving, devoted mom.

Blessings,
Murphy's Mom (Kathryn)
"Sometimes there is a dog who is so special, he is able to wrap himself so completely around your heart it is impossible to tell where you begin and he ends."  For My Beloved Murphy, 08/31/2004 - 06/18/2014

http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/MURPH121/Resident.htm

http://s327.photobucket.com/user/kathrynbrown1626/library/?sort=6&page=1
Quote 0 0
MurphysMom_0831
ebbsmom wrote:
I had to go to the vet yesterday to pick up some pills for another one of our dogs, Jackie.  I was doing fine, until the vet that had seen Ebby saw me and started to walk out to the waiting room.  I told him not to say anything, he came over and gave he a really heartfelt hug.  I was sobbing, and he even had tears in his eyes.  I don't blame them, it was just something that happened and they tried their best.  I just miss her so much - shedding tears every day.

I understand completely about the vet situation. My Murphy was at the vet so often for 4 years straight; every 27 days for his injection, other times day after day being treated. My 16-month-old Golden goes to the same vet's office, and it's torture walking in there each time, seeing the vets and staff who cared for Murphy so well and adored him, being in the same exam rooms I sat in with Murph. When I first had to stop in there 2 days after losing Murphy to return some Science Diet food that hadn't been opened, the entire staff came out to the waiting room and everyone, including me, was sobbing. Nearly a year later it's still incredibly difficult to enter that building.

Blessings,
Murphy's Mom (Kathryn)
"Sometimes there is a dog who is so special, he is able to wrap himself so completely around your heart it is impossible to tell where you begin and he ends."  For My Beloved Murphy, 08/31/2004 - 06/18/2014

http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/MURPH121/Resident.htm

http://s327.photobucket.com/user/kathrynbrown1626/library/?sort=6&page=1
Quote 0 0
ebbsmom
I have been thinking a lot about Ebby (all the time!!) but sometimes when I think of her, I can also see my last dog, Campy. And imagine them playing together and sharing stories of all the things they did to me, and of course how wonderful I was. =)  It's been almost 4 weeks since I lost Ebby, and while the pain is not as sharp - I think denial is passing and I just feel so empty.  I hope my two girls are playing together over the rainbow bridge!!!  Please!!!
Quote 0 0
dogauthor
ebbsmom wrote:

Ebby's Story

DSC00142 - Copy.JPG 

“Once upon a time, in the county of Whatcom, there were two little doggies.  One little black one with mange all around her eyes and another that was treated really bad…”

So would start the bedtime story almost every night.  Ebby (Ebony) was the black lab/pit mix who had been at the shelter for 3 months.  Jackie (the brindle one) was very skittish – had to be on Prozac for year.

These two came into my life in November 2007 – just a day apart.  Ebby immediately became Jackie’s link to a normal life.  They would sleep together, play in the backyard chasing each other around, clean each other’s faces and ears – they were inseparable.

Ebby taught me so much!!  She taught me that pit bull mixes make WONDERFUL family members, she taught me to be patient but firm with Jackie.  She taught me to play more and worry less, she taught me that your soul can be reflected in the eyes of your dog.  She also taught me that even though you may be the ‘top dog’, it’s OK to let the weaker one win once in a while.  When she wanted to play, she would get a ball and literally put it in Jackie’s mouth.

She lived a good life for just over 8 years.  She got to run in the field, dig for mice (one of her favorite things to do), go to our cabin and hunt for mice there as well as swim in the lake, and of course, never ever tire of fetching the ball.  She would greet me every time I came home with a ball, a toy, a stick, a leaf or even a piece of paper in her mouth to play.  She was a great cuddler at night, sometimessleeping flat on her back with her feet straight up in the air.  She had a LOT of love and I hope I gave her a very happy life.  I know she enriched mine no end.

I lost her way too soon!  One night she was playing and running around just fine, and the morning was pretty listless and not interested in food.  She was diagnosed with severe anemia – and auto-immune disease that attacked her red blood cells.  Two days later, after vet visits, emergency vet visits and a specialty clinic 80 miles away (not to mention 3 blood transfusions) she was gone.  The vet told me she was doubtful that Ebby would survive – she was running a fever, throwing up a lot, jaundiced, blood in her urine and finding it hard to breathe.  I gave her the ultimate gift – and let her go. 

I miss her every day.  I have had, loved and lost, other dogs before – but it’s like she was the PERFECT one for me.  She loved me SO much!!!  I promised her when I let her go that I would look after Jackie – who has been sticking to me like glue.  I think she’s doing better than I am, which may be a lesson to learn from her.  She’s beginning to bond more with our 3rd dog, and is letting me out of her sight more and more.

I thank the vets for their compassionate care and for doing everything they could.  I received some nice notes from them – they all referred to her as “remarkly sweet”. 

Their bedtime story always ended with them being rescued by the “good lady and living happily ever after”.  So, until we meet again, I love you to the moon and back sweet Ebby……………..

Richard Hooton
Quote 0 0
dogauthor
You truly are a savior and protector of deserving dogs. Your story moves me deeply, and I am comforted to know there are people such as you in the world who love and care for dogs, recognizing their importance and impact on our lives. I suppose it is only natural to feel such inconsolable grief at their passing. 

I pray that time will heal us all, and that the memories will become soft and gentle and comforting.

Richard
Richard Hooton
Quote 0 0
TwoTuxedoCats
What an absolutely beautiful pair of dogs. 

Ebby's an amazing looking pup. I'm so glad I got to read your story. I'm saddened by the story because animals are such amazing creatures. They literally are made for us. They love unconditionally, they give everything they have for us and they are no less than a family member. 

Absolutely special and unique in every way. I'm hoping you find some peace in the sea of pain, but I know that Ebby is happy and healthy now and in no pain. You did the greatest gift that a person can do for their furry baby... That is take their pain away and place it on to yourself. That's what we do when we decide that it's time to take their pain away. We take away all of their ailments, their sadness and sorrow and hurt... Everything and we create a void, and a sadness in ourselves. That's the ultimate sacrifice. They have given everything that they are for us, so we return the favor by hanging on to the pain of losing them. 

The love we have for these amazing gifts of life is crazy. I wish the entire world understood what they mean for us. They are sharing our lives with us, but they give us their lives because we are all they'll have. That's so special. That's something no one can take away. 

My heart goes out to you, and I hope that as time passes the pain eases. 

For they will be missed always
Mattie (1996-2015)
Miss Kitty (1996-2011)
Black and White furballs of love
Quote 0 0
patriciak8
Dear ebbs mom,thanks alot for the consolation of my dogs passing...It helps to know that I'm not the only one who thinks the world of their dog..I'm in Kenya and few people keep pets here so no one really understands the connection and grie.
My friends and family keep telling me that I'll just get another one but we both know its not the same..you cant just replace your baby with another and have the grief go away..I had a strong connection with my Loni especially that i bottle fed her from day one and we did everything together..I was like her mum and she was my baby..I might get another dog later on but he/her will not replace loni..I'll just love them differently..
Watching our babies go through the illness is the worst part..It hurts to have to know that they are in pain and are struggling and we are unable to make it go away but just to wait and hope the medication works.
Everyday I had to watch my Loni get thinner and thinner just broke my heart.I hated that she had to go through it and all I could do was to pray the medication works..
Im so sorry for your loss,I guess we get a little comfort from knowing that even if your ebby and my Loni are not with us..atleast they are not suffering anymore..that is what takes me through the day..I hope it gets easier even if now it seems impossible

Mama loni
Quote 0 0
ebbsmom
It's been almost 3 months - I haven't been checking this site as often as I did at first....but the hurt is still there - and the tears can still flow.  I just reread all of the responses to this topic and want to thank you all.  I still have two dogs - which is a blessing!!  I've lost other dogs before - mostly to old age - but this one hurt like never before.  Wishing that you all find peace and to never forget what a good pet parent you were.  Anyone who comes to this site is someone who grieves for a pet - a tribute the love they had and the loss they feel.
Quote 0 0