Erhughes1234
Last night I lost my dog suddenly and unexpectedly. She was absolutely fine on Saturday and then became very lethargic on Sunday. I took her to the emergency vet thinking it was just a virus. It was internal bleeding and they said she wasn't going to make it through the night. When we took her there, I wasn't expecting to never bring her home. I feel like I have had my whole heart ripped out of my chest and I can't breathe. I don't know what to do with my grief. She was going to be 13 in November and we were planning something special. I never expected to lose her so abruptly. I don't know how to get through this. She has been with me through so much. I truely don't know what to do. I feel like I will never be ok again. Any advice would be much appreciated. 

Emily Hughes 
Quote 0 0
katya66
Emily
I too am in that deep raw place having just lost my Misha yesterday as well.  My little boy was 14 - he had as good a day as he could on Saturday - even though he was showing increasing signs of kidney failure and there was nothing I could do for him because the treatment would have caused him to go into congestive heart failure - Sunday he started declining rapidly and I was fortunate to be able to get a home vet to come and help him cross the rainbow bridge.  My heart goes out to you - Maybe coming here is a first step in healing for both of us - I don't feel like I have any words of wisdom because I feel so much the same as you.  My thoughts are with you - so sorry you lost your buddy. 
Quote 1 0
Erhughes1234
@katya66 Thank you so much. I am so sorry for your loss. It is never easy. I am happy your dog was able to pass at home. That must have been a huge comfort. It was just so hard this morning. I couldn't even have my morning coffee because she would always sit by my feet and it was too hard. I just wish I knew how to be ok. I feel like I csnt breathe. 
Emily Hughes 
Quote 0 0
Jen_Morricone
Hi Emily,
 What kind of dog and name?  The same thing happened to me once...came home for lunch on a week day and found my dog sick 
and he died that afternoon when I took him to urgent care. I'm so sorry for your loss. There are some grief tools online, worksheets. Or you might try journaling and bawling til you can't cry anymore. 
 Try to get outside when you are able. Again,  I know exactly how you feel. Like your world just exploded. 
 Hugs
Quote 1 0
Jen_Morricone
Hi Katja,
 So sorry for your loss. Even when you are "given notice" its still so d@#& gut-wrenching. Glad that at least you were able to secure an at home euthanasia.
Sending a hug!!
Quote 0 0
Erhughes1234
@Jen_Morricone thank you. I am so sorry for your loss. It really sucks. Like I got sucker punched to the gut. Where can you find some of these tools? is there a website?
Emily Hughes 
Quote 0 0
kanjay
I am so sorry for your loss.  I lost my Sadie  4 weeks ago tonight.   I understand the pain.  I feel like I can't  breath either. Everyone  says to keep coming here to this forum.  That is all I knowto do right now  I am so sorry.
Deborah Owens
Quote 1 0
Erhughes1234
@kanjay I am so sorry for your loss. I feel like losing my Diamond has been the hardest thing in the world. She was my everything. Everyone here seems very supportive which is comforting. While i know the pain will never go away. I hope the pain gets easier.
Emily Hughes 
Quote 0 0
Gracie4ever
Emily I am sooooo sorry for your loss. I lost my girl on August 19 and she took a sudden downhill spiral which I was not expecting so it came as a shock. My heart aches for you. Please know we are here for you and feel your pain.
Quote 0 0
Jen_Morricone
Deborah,
 So sorry for your loss. I just read an article where the singer,  Sia talked about how she felt like she might relapse into alcoholism after her dog died. 
She said that encouraging texts from her fans got her through it. Its so hard even if you have money, fame, or whatever. It doesn't matter when you lose your BF!
Take ❤
Quote 0 0
Erhughes1234
@Gracie4ever thank you so much! I take comfort in your words.  Sometimes I think the heartache is more than I can bare. I am so sorry for your loss. Any sudden death is a traumatic shock to the system even if they were previously ill. I am here for you if you need anything. 
Emily Hughes 
Quote 1 0
kanjay
Jen Morricone Thank you for your words of comfort.  I have found so many compassionate people on this forum.   I guess that's  why so many come here . 
Deborah Owens
Quote 1 0
kanjay
Emily I  so sorry for your loss of Diamond.  Sadie was my everything also. The grief is unmeasureable.    Take care.  Blessings  and  peace  to you.
Deborah Owens
Quote 0 0
Heavenisreal
Sorry for your loss.  I also feel like I can't breathe, every second of every day is a torture.  Feel like my whole world just collapsed.   Suddenly lost a 15 month old Maine Coon boy.  He was just a baby.  He was sick before but I didn't expect him to die anytime soon.  I am traumatized, shocked, depressed....feeling like all of you on here.
It is good to have a forum where we all can support each other.

This is truly life shattering
Violetta Andruszkiewicz 
Quote 0 0
Gracie4ever

@Gracie4ever thank you so much! I take comfort in your words.  Sometimes I think the heartache is more than I can bare. I am so sorry for your loss. Any sudden death is a traumatic shock to the system even if they were previously ill. I am here for you if you need anything. 

Thanks so much, dear. Back at you! I just keep having guilt over things..like she had kidney disease but also diabetes so in an effort to reduce grains in her diet for the diabetes, she went into remission for that - but now looking back I think I was then feeding her too much protein, which I just found out worsens kidney disease.

I am struggling with so much guilt, but I've seen articles that say it's "illogical guilt" because  I never did anything deliberately to harm my girl, and I have to try to stop thinking of all those negative things and think of the positive. She had a long life and she lived a long time with "competing health issues" but you know..no matter how long they live, we wish they could just never leave us. I'm here for you, Emily, and all of you, really!!

Quote 1 0