Forum

Author   Comment  
pinkknight

Reply with quote  #1 
IMG_5075donner.jpg 
In Dec. 2008 I went to my local rescue looking for a new friend. I passed a cage of 5 dogs. 4 ignored me. There was a puppy sitting by himself at the back of the cage. When he saw me he jumped up, ran to the front of the cage and licked me to death. We looked in each other's eyes and I said, "I have to have this dog. I don't know why. I have to have him. " It was Xmas, he had weird ears that stuck up -- he looked like a brown reindeer, so we named him Donner. For 10 years Donner followed me around constantly, almost always at my side. When we watched TV, he would sit up on the sofa between us, lean back, wrap his arms around us and lick us on the mouth. When it was time for bed, Donner would lay down next to us. Roll over on his back, put his head on our pillow and lick us on the mouth. When I went to work, or off on vacation, Donner would get very depressed -- at times he would barely eat or drink water. He loved to sunbathe in the backyard, so we got him some dog sunglasses to protect his eyes. Over the Xmas holiday 2018, we discovered Donner had a small tumor somewhere that was spreading cancer throughout his body, and it had reached his lungs. We gave him a regiment of pregnisone and ancient Chinese anti-cancer herbs from a holistic vet. We were hoping for the best -- but realistically knew our time with our child was probably limited. Donner's last 3 weeks were a good three weeks -- lots of tail waging, dog treats and ground sirloin meals. One day he woke up in the middle of the night coughing, didn't eat, and couldn't sleep. I realized during the day that his lungs had gotten worse, and it was starting to make him uncomfortable. We made the decision to say goodbye that day -- the worst day of my life. After an incredible 10 years with Donner, I completely believe you can have a spiritual connection with your pet. I've lost many pets during my life, but have never felt so devastated.

Reply with quote  #2 
Donner is such a good name, unique just like your baby.  I am sorry for the pain you are going through but all the people on here know the feeling.
You gave your sweet boy a good life, a life where he was loved.  I think that the pain we feel is a result of the love we had and for me the pain was worth it to have known my sweet baby.
Now your Donner has no pain, no stress, no problems at all.  Try to let that be your comfort in the days ahead.  It is a journey through our grief but in time we do feel better, in time we can remember with a smile instead of tears.

Reply with quote  #3 
Wonderful story and great name for him, your special friend :( i am sure it was so hard to say goodbye.
pinkknight

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks you for kind thoughts....... hoping a I can pull myself together and rescue another dog later this year...... best wishes Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantismom
Donner is such a good name, unique just like your baby.  I am sorry for the pain you are going through but all the people on here know the feeling.
You gave your sweet boy a good life, a life where he was loved.  I think that the pain we feel is a result of the love we had and for me the pain was worth it to have known my sweet baby.
Now your Donner has no pain, no stress, no problems at all.  Try to let that be your comfort in the days ahead.  It is a journey through our grief but in time we do feel better, in time we can remember with a smile instead of tears.

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv2112
Wonderful story and great name for him, your special friend :( i am sure it was so hard to say goodbye.

Thanks so much for your thoughts Fred

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkknight
IMG_5075donner.jpg 
In Dec. 2008 I went to my local rescue looking for a new friend. I passed a cage of 5 dogs. 4 ignored me. There was a puppy sitting by himself at the back of the cage. When he saw me he jumped up, ran to the front of the cage and licked me to death. We looked in each other's eyes and I said, "I have to have this dog. I don't know why. I have to have him. " It was Xmas, he had weird ears that stuck up -- he looked like a brown reindeer, so we named him Donner. For 10 years Donner followed me around constantly, almost always at my side. When we watched TV, he would sit up on the sofa between us, lean back, wrap his arms around us and lick us on the mouth. When it was time for bed, Donner would lay down next to us. Roll over on his back, put his head on our pillow and lick us on the mouth. When I went to work, or off on vacation, Donner would get very depressed -- at times he would barely eat or drink water. He loved to sunbathe in the backyard, so we got him some dog sunglasses to protect his eyes. Over the Xmas holiday 2018, we discovered Donner had a small tumor somewhere that was spreading cancer throughout his body, and it had reached his lungs. We gave him a regiment of pregnisone and ancient Chinese anti-cancer herbs from a holistic vet. We were hoping for the best -- but realistically knew our time with our child was probably limited. Donner's last 3 weeks were a good three weeks -- lots of tail waging, dog treats and ground sirloin meals. One day he woke up in the middle of the night coughing, didn't eat, and couldn't sleep. I realized during the day that his lungs had gotten worse, and it was starting to make him uncomfortable. We made the decision to say goodbye that day -- the worst day of my life. After an incredible 10 years with Donner, I completely believe you can have a spiritual connection with your pet. I've lost many pets during my life, but have never felt so devastated.

I am so sorry Fred - great story/great love - I wish you and all of us can tip the scale of gratitude vs grief soon. We all can grieve for now but soon our hearts will be filled with gratitude for the time they lived and loved us all. God Bless
Terry 

Reply with quote  #7 
Appreciate the kindness Terry........ my house is feeling very empty right now, and so am I .... take care

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmjgrady

I am so sorry Fred - great story/great love - I wish you and all of us can tip the scale of gratitude vs grief soon. We all can grieve for now but soon our hearts will be filled with gratitude for the time they lived and loved us all. God Bless
Terry 

Reply with quote  #8 
I am so sorry for the loss of your Donner. It's so hard to let them go and even harder when they are. We live for our babies, it's the responsibility we all take. But when we lose them our kinda goes too! But know Donner loves you still and find comfort in knowing, we will all be reunited with our loved ones! I send healing and prayers 🙏,
Since Jess and Brownie

Reply with quote  #9 
Thank you for your comforting thoughts and understanding. Still getting over the shock of being in an empty house after 10 years without my furry pal with me. Hearing from others helps. Regards Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie74
I am so sorry for the loss of your Donner. It's so hard to let them go and even harder when they are. We live for our babies, it's the responsibility we all take. But when we lose them our kinda goes too! But know Donner loves you still and find comfort in knowing, we will all be reunited with our loved ones! I send healing and prayers 🙏,
Since Jess and Brownie

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkknight
Thank you for your comforting thoughts and understanding. Still getting over the shock of being in an empty house after 10 years without my furry pal with me. Hearing from others helps. Regards Fred

You're very fortunate to have had 10 years. You gave Donner a good life. Its more than most dogs in this world can ask for.
pinkknight

Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutGarcia

You're very fortunate to have had 10 years. You gave Donner a good life. Its more than most dogs in this world can ask for.

Very very true !  

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.