Forum

Author   Comment  
Doonie

Reply with quote  #1 
My 11 yr. old chihuahua for the last two weeks doesn't want to have anything to do with me. All of a sudden it's all about my husband. She doesn't want us to kiss or touch. Does anyone know what's going on?

Attached Images
jpeg 20190530_170604.jpg (90.59 KB, 3 views)

anang

Reply with quote  #2 
I'm a cat person, and know little about dogs, but I'll give this my best try.

If she's into your husband, affectionate and all that, then that is a good thing. 

Is she eating? Drinking? Sleeping? Isolating? If she isn't eating, drinking or sleeping and isolating, then I would definitely get her checked out.

Have you changed perfumes, daily schedules, etc?

When you touch her does she seem to wince or be in pain? Is she overly grooming herself or not grooming herself at all? Is she peeing and pooing as she typically does?

These are all things to consider. It is worth it to take her to the vet for a checkup.

My warm wishes for you and your baby,
Katie

Reply with quote  #3 

Hi Phyllis,

Katie is spot on with all of her questions above. All very important to consider, answer and address.

The only thing I am going to mention in addition (and I don't write this to alarm you) is your dog may be experiencing early signs of "dementia." From what I have read, the symptoms can subside at times, and the dog will go back to its normal behavior(s). So you may want to bring dog in to the Vet, but then also keep a daily log of what her moods and behavior are like, and what you observe. Unfortunately there are numerous examples of dogs & cats here on this forum, showing signs of "dementia" and not recognizing their pet parent(s). Becoming distant and not showing the signs of affection that they used to. So it is something to be mindful of. It not personal. It's just a symptom.

I am sorry for what she and you may be coping with, and hope the above is not the case. But it may be helpful to obtain a diagnosis. 

Kind regards,
James
Doonie

Reply with quote  #4 
Thank you Katie and James, you've given me alot to think about!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.