Echo
It's 5 months ago that I lost my little boy from injuries he got from our car accident. Not a day goes by that I don't want to just sit and cry for him. He was only 3 years old and he was so full of life. Everything still reminds me of him and I wish he was here with me to go for walks together or just to snuggle. It still hurts so much to know that his life was cut short.
Quote 0 0
Pecan_mom

I’m so sorry for your loss.  Our beloved dog passed away just over 6 weeks ago.  Her death was sudden.  I cry everyday and some days are really really hard and I can’t get out of bed. So many what ifs and I should haves. I am talking to a grief therapist and have joined several pet loss support groups and some are spiritual.  I believe even though they leave their body their sprite and energy is always with us.  The special bond and the love we have for each other never ends.  I have had a few strong signs and couple of dream visits. People might think I’m going crazy but that’s how I can cope and be strong for my family.  The pain is there I’m just learning how to live with it.  

Sp
Quote 0 0
Echo
I'm so sorry for your loss Pecan mom. It is so hard to have to part from our fur babies.  I had a dream last night in which my baby Echo jumped up in my lap. I love it when he comes to me in a dream. I have seen him in several dreams in the last month's. I get a lot of nightmares and Echo would jump up on the bed and lick my face til I woke from the nightmare, then he'd sit on my chest for awhile, maybe til I calmed down from the nightmare.
Quote 0 0
Memories_of_Marmalade
Dear Echo,

I am 1 year in this month and I am living proof that is DOES get better.

Every single moment, every second, every minute, you are getting closer to healing. It is different for everyone.

I eventually had to get on antidepressants as I wasn't getting better and felt like I was injuring my mind and body with extreme sadness and grief. They really helped me to overcome. I no longer felt as if I was being shoved off of a cliff into a dark abyss and I was able to continue to move through the healing process better.

I still miss my boy and have moments of severe grief, but now I am able to think of my boy with a smile and joy. Which is such an incredible relief to experience. 

I wish you continued healing and hope during these difficult times.

Kind regards,
James
Quote 2 0
Echo
Thank you James. I am really missing this little guy. I think its because he was so young and full of life and such a tragic death.
Quote 1 0
LaurenceReno
Echo:  I can certainly understand your sadness.  I had to have my beloved little cattle dog Charly euthanized on April 30 because of incurable cancer of the lymph nodes.  We spent 10 happy years together, but all things must end, sooner or later.  I still grieve for him, even though I did the right thing by having him euthanized, since he was in pain.  Over time the pain will lessen, but you can work through it and take one day at a time.  It has been two weeks and I still feel sad and depressed. 
Laurence
Quote 1 0
Pecan_mom

@Memories_of_Marmalade
Thank you for sharing and for letting us know that things can get better and there’s hope for all of us. 

I was starting to feel better but Mother’s Day was a major set back for me.  I was so sad not having Pecan around.  Everything happened so fast she was healthy then she wasn’t but she was drinking and walking around so non of us thought that it was life threatening and  I was told by one of the vets over the phone that it wasn’t but I had a bad feeling that night and for a while.  I was going to take her to her own vet first thing in the morning. I was holding on to her and wasn’t letting her go and we rushed her as Soon as we could and when her breathing changed.  I can’t stop wondering what if I took her in sooner, maybe there was a way that she could be here today or maybe they could tell us what caused it.  Not knowing is really hard. I miss her so much and I want her back.  I need to believe that I could not stop her death and her going so soon and fast wasn’t my fault.  It was a busy night and my mind was raising.  I didn’t know what to do..  can I ever be happy again? Do I even deserve to be happy again? I took care of her like a princess for 9 years and I feel like I gave up on her on her last night on earth even though I didn’t leave her for one second.   I am thinking maybe I need to go on meds for a while even though I don’t believe in medication but I am not sure if I can be in this dark dark place. I have two teenage daughters, my husband and my parents that need me.  I miss my little pecan she was my soulmate, why did she leave me so soon?  Is it because I didn’t deserve her?

thank you for listening to me and I wish you all happiness and health. 

Sp
Quote 0 0
Echo
I buried my little Echo yesterday and it hurt so much to lay him to rest. Up til now his body was in my freezer waiting for the ground to thaw so we could bury him. I held his lifeless little body and stroked his fur for the last time. I will miss going to the freezer to pet him. We laid him to rest in a flower bed next to my other dog, a miniature Eskimo, who died 2 years ago. I wrapped Echo in a little pink and blanket that he came with when we adopted him, and I placed one of the little balls he used to love to play with by his head. He's in a flower bed that he used to love eating the wild strawberries from, and he loved to play on the rocks interspersed in that flower bed. It was a hard day for me, it was like losing him all over again. I've put a headstone on his grave. I will forever love and miss him.
Quote 1 0
LaurenceReno
I can well understand your heartbreak.  Charly was a vibrant little dog, full of energy and life.  It was so sad to see him declining because of the cancer - he could no longer run, and had difficulty eating, so it was time for him to go.  There was no point in prolonging his suffering.  After he was cremated I scattered his ashes on the beautiful Incline Flume Trail high above Lake Tahoe, where he had always loved to run, and also in the river park where he played with the children.  I think that was a fitting tribute.  I also intend to plant a tree in his memory, so he will have a memorial long after I'm gone. 
Laurence
Quote 0 0
BoxerMomForever
Echo. I’m sorry for your loss.  But I wish I knew if it gets easier.  Seven months later, still having a hard time.  Yes it’s better but I’m not there yet.
Linda *Mom to two boxer angels* Lily {White Girl} 6/22/09 - 10/14/19  ** Ginger {Flashy Fawn Girl} 6/4/97 - 5/28/09
Quote 1 0
Memories_of_Marmalade
Dear Pecan_Mom,

I miss my little pecan she was my soulmate, why did she leave me so soon?  Is it because I didn’t deserve her?

Oh sweetheart, of course not.

It is hard to believe but as you may know a dogs lifespan on average is only around 10 years. In the wild and on the street (provided they are not facing major predators.) For cats it is only 2 to 5 years. It is true that we humans can extend the lifespans of our beloved pets by many years, by providing them with shelter (from the elements and predators), food and fresh water, the occasional trip to the Vet's (for treatment and medicine etc.), and love and affection (which is important for their wellbeing. But there are no guarantees. Dogs are only biologically engineered to live around 10 years. You gave Pecan a long, loving, caring, compassionate, fun filled life. Which is saying a lot. It is a testament for the deep love you had for her and her for you. The depth of your grief is only equalled by the depth of the love you had for Pecan. And she knew and felt your love all the days of her life. How special that must have made her feel. Well done!

Please know that Pecan loved, cherished and adored you as much as you did her. She would want you to not be hard on yourself, to be gentle with yourself and to heal up and live a good and happy rest of your life.

I finally made the decision to go on an antidepressant myself after losing my boy. It made a World of difference in so many ways. I'm so glad I did. I had never done so before. It is well worth considering. 

I wish you swift healing and wellness in the days ahead.

Kind regards,
James
Quote 1 0
Pecan_mom

James,

Thank you so much for your kind and heart warming words.   Pecan had a great life and gave me so much love and joy. She was full of life that day and things changed so fast.  I feel so bad when I think about her last day/night.  When we woke up that morning I had no idea things would change and she wouldn’t be with us the next day.  She was our little princess.  When we adopted her I knew her life would be limited and this day would come but I didn’t think that it would come so soon and unexpectedly.  I feel bad for my daughters too they miss her so much.  I am going to talk to my therapist and my dr about antidepressants.  I really need to get better and start seeing and believing everything you just said.  

thanks again and take care, 

Sp
Quote 1 0