Eileennellie
I lost my 8 /2 year old Doberman on Monday, we were at the dog trainers and he just fell over dead. We rushed him to a vet, but he was already gone. We believe it was a fatal arrhythmia, as this is a far too common condition in Dobermans. My husband and I and our 12 year old Doberman, Paris, are crushed. Life without him is so unbelievably hard. I haven't been away from him for more than a few hours in 8 years and don't know what to do with myself. We are expecting a baby boy in Dec, and I hate that he will never know Dobie. I am glad he never suffered or even slowed down, but the fact that he still behaved like a 1 year old makes this all the more shocking. He was totally healthy, and then he was just gone. He made me feel safe when I lived alone and was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis at age 30, he protected me from everything, literally sleeping with one eye open to watch me at all times. I can't help but wonder if that hyper vigilance he always had was hard on his heart. But I know he was happy as long as we were together, and we were, everyday. I just miss him so, so much. He was the most amazing companion ever. I know he will be with me forever, and we will meet again. Everyone who has experienced this loss and pain will know that is true. RIP Dobie.
Quote 0 0
lettersatlarge

I'm so sorry you had to experience this! So scary and so confusing, I know. Dobie clearly had 8 good, love-filled years with you, and even though it's difficult to fathom right now, I hope you can see that he likely went without pain, without suffering, having only ever known love, and was near his beloved when it happened.

I know it doesn't make it feel better for you, but we're all here to listen. Grief is a process and we must go through it.

Quote 1 0
Eileennellie
Thank you, the knowledge that others know what I am going through has helped a lot. It is still such a shock the way it happened, but the fact that he never suffered is comforting. He had the best possible life he could have, and I am sure lots of people would not have loved and treasured him like we did. He was aggressive and likely a liability, but the love we had for each other negated all of that. I wouldn't trade the 8 years of him being almost a full time job for anything, and would do it again and for the rest of my life if I could. I have had many pets in my life, but I never knew this kind of devotion existed. It was like he was meant to be my dog. He was apotpted and returned and when I was notified that he was available I drove to another state to pick him up that day. I looked for a male Doberman for over a year, never feeling that any were right, until I saw his picture. It's like the universe knew we needed each other. The void I feel now is so awful, but like everyone who has gone through this, time is the only thing that will ease the pain.
Quote 0 0
miztina249
Oh my goodness I'm so sorry for the loss of your precious Dobie. You must not blame the years he spent protecting and watching over you though. That is what the breed was made to do, dogs that don't fulfill their intended purpose can sometimes live miserable lives. Have you ever seen a herding dog without a job? They will find someone or something to herd, you have to make "work" up for them to keep them sane. So rest easy that he lived a happier life having you to protect and watch over. Just like you wouldn't have traded the 8 years you spent with him, know that he felt the same way.

I know this loss is so very hard, he was young after all, it is tragic to lose them at all. No matter how long we are blessed with them it is never enough. Him passing quickly and without pain while a terrible shock and blow is also a blessing.

Big hugs to you
Quote 1 0
Eileennellie
This is my baby, being calm (and handsome!) and watching me walk around behind the cameraman.
Quote 0 0
HeidiAngel
I am so sorry about your dog. That is unbelievably traumatic. My guinea pig passed two days ago. I had never felt love like I did with her. I never knew it was possible. I have the same vast void in my heart, I would do anything to hold her again. She went into surgery, and passed away before I could get there. Thank you for sharing your painful experience, it made me feel less alone.
Quote 1 0
BuddyCyn
Dobie was such a handsome boy and is your angel now.  He grew his wings suddenly, but your love sends him onto his own spiritual path where his love is never gone, just now resides in your heart.  He is with you.  Tell him you love him and he will hear you.  Your heart aches because of love.  Our pets leave us too soon.  But they do grow with our love and we grow too.  It's a painful growth...but the live on in what they have taught us and how we apply their lessons.
BuddyCyn
Quote 1 0
Eileennellie
He has always been my angel, but he will be forever. I still say goodnight and I love you to him every night like used to. I hope he hears me, I think he does. My husband told me that he thinks Dobie made me a more patient, understanding person, that I am going to be a good mom because of what I learned from him. I think that is true, he was with me to make both our lives better, and mine will be changed forever because of him. Your comments ring very true, and they made me feel better this morning. Thank you. Dobie was a handsome boy and he will live on in my heart.
Quote 0 0
miztina249
Eileennellie wrote:
He has always been my angel, but he will be forever. I still say goodnight and I love you to him every night like used to. I hope he hears me, I think he does. My husband told me that he thinks Dobie made me a more patient, understanding person, that I am going to be a good mom because of what I learned from him. I think that is true, he was with me to make both our lives better, and mine will be changed forever because of him. Your comments ring very true, and they made me feel better this morning. Thank you. Dobie was a handsome boy and he will live on in my heart.

My husband and I both agree our little Polo made us more patient and understanding. It was in different ways for each of us, that is the gift our companion animals give us. They coax out the best in us. Our Polo made it easier for my H to show emotion something he struggles with. He made me a much more patient person because he stayed a very needy puppy for quite a long time lol. I fell ill with Lyme disease after we got him and stuggled to keep up with an energetic puppy at times. Oh what I wouldn't give to go back and relive one of those "awful" days. I'd give anything to have him back. I know you feel the same about your Dobie. I do believe we will be with them again one day.

Big hugs to you
Quote 0 0
Eileennellie
I still cry every day at least once, but it is getting easier most of the time. The cat that showed up at our house about a week before Dobie passed has been declared healthy by the vet (I named him Dilly) and has settled in here. He wakes me up meowing for breakfast every morning, Dobie used to make little whining noises each morning, too. And he follows me around the yard and always watches me, it's like he's here to keep me distracted and from being too sad. I miss Dobie so much. Every time I realize he's not coming backI feel everything all over again, but the duration of the crying gets shorter. I'm crying now thinking about him, but it is making my female Doberman, Paris, start crying, so I have to pull myself together for her. I have decided that despite the risk of this happening again, we will continue to adopt rescued Dobermans. Not right away, but I think the reward of the time we had with Dobie far outweighs the loss. If we have pets, we are going to lose them one day, no way around it. No dog will ever be what Dobie was to me, though. I also feel that way about Paris, so I guess I am lucky that I get to have two heart dogs in my life, a boy and a girl.
Quote 0 0
Eileennellie
It's been 9 weeks, 2 days. Sometimes when I think about Dobie, I just smile. I still cry most times, but it's only bawling once in a while, mostly it's just a few tears that I recover from quickly. Paris and Stooley, our 6 month old kitten, pile on me when I have a breakdown, forcing me to pull myself together. I feel him here when I am really sad and missing him. But it's becoming routine now. I can talk about him now without automatically crying, and reminiscing helps. It never gets better, but it has become ok, bearable, tolerable, I'd call it.
Quote 0 0
WasADogInAFormerLife
This is brutal, EN, just brutal. Sudden death like this. My heart goes out to you. How can you reconcile this?  Your love made Dobie real. I was looking at photos of TheeAdore today, when I brought him home versus when he died. He looks so healthy, happy in the photos. How can this be failure? He died crying out in pain, looking up at me, the vet "trying to find a vein" in order to kill him. This is my agony. I was in shock. I took him in thinking, diabetes, thyroid? Not metastatic cancer. WHAT? Then it's a flurry of foggy images, the vet in and out, me turning away, sobbing, then it's over but it's not. It will never be over.

How, how how????

It's been 9 weeks, 2 days. Sometimes when I think about Dobie, I just smile. I still cry most times, but it's only bawling once in a while, mostly it's just a few tears that I recover from quickly. Paris and Stooley, our 6 month old kitten, pile on me when I have a breakdown, forcing me to pull myself together. I feel him here when I am really sad and missing him. But it's becoming routine now. I can talk about him now without automatically crying, and reminiscing helps. It never gets better, but it has become ok, bearable, tolerable, I'd call it

Yes. I relate so much. Crying today. It's been almost three months yet crying again today. They were special. Unique. Now they are gone. But what did help was my remembering Theeo when I brought him home and all the amazing times we had in between--three short years--but maybe my love made him real.  Peace to you.  V
VM
Quote 0 0