CarolineMc
Hello everyone, my name is Caroline and lost my Dixie Girl back on August 25, 2019. The pain is still raw today as it was on that fateful day. She has been fight a terrible infection that caused her autoimmune system to fight her red blood cells, causing anemia. She has begun on her first week, not eating for almost three days, it started on a weekend. Monday, I began to worry and to her to the vet, whom put her on antibiotic. Then two days later I took her back and he did blood workup and put her on steroid. Then two days later, he looked at her blood work and switched her antibiotic. And she was doing better till after the second week was ending, she stopped eating again and was getting weak. She went out to do her bathroom that Sunday morning and she took a few steps to the sidewalk and collapsed. Took her a couple of minutes with my help to get her back on her feet. And we got the steps, only three to walk up and I had to carry her up them and into the house. We got her to the Emergency vet and got the bad news, the red blood cell count got worse. I had decided she was miserable long enough and that it would be the worst thing to do the blood transfusions, that may not have worked. She was 13 years old and was miserable. So I had her put down. Was the worst day of my life. 

But two days later, I was looking around my living room and realized that it was too quiet. Dixie was not a noise maker till she needed to be. But it was the presence, it was too quiet. I believe Dixie was telling me it was time to go get a new rescue. So I went to the Wayside Waif website, the same shelter I got her and saw one dog, went and put down a hold. The next day, as I was checking to see what other dogs came in, I saw Zoey, a Dachshund/Labrador Retriever mix. She looked so sweet. Went back to the shelter, got the hold off the other dog, met Zoey, and it was a match made by Dixie. No regrets.

We are doing great, went on our first road trip, took Dixie paw prints that was taken when Dixie passed, and had fun together. We are now working on trust of being in the house without being crated when I am not home, Zoey passed with flying colors. I hate to crate a dog, but was doing it for her own safety. She is a sweet lap dog and helping me in my grief of Dixie.  We are doing great. I will come as often as I can, to help those having a hard time grieving. And to share Dixie's story. Have a great day everyone. 

Caroline McClain
Quote 0 0
Tankie12
That was a beautiful story, thank you for sharing
I think you will help others with your compassionate wisdom,,,,,
Lynn, Tankie’s mom, forever
Quote 0 0
chilover
CarolineMc

That is a lovely story.
Sorry for your loss of Dixie..

I lost my beautiful Daisy to both kidney failure and arthritis and she may have had a bit of dementia too as she just wasn't the same dog. She caught an infection towards the end of her life which I think came from her mouth as her tooth fell out. She was then given antibiotics during the last 2 weeks! She had anaemia too and was unsteady on her feet..

Even though the vet said that her bloods weren't dangerously high, she started to loose a lot of weight & her quality of life appeared to be poor, she could barely walk..

I worked closely with my vet and came to the decision that euthanasia would be the kindest thing, so on the 2nd of August I lost her...

The grief is paralysing and although I try to keep myself busy ( although not by ignoring it ) it is constantly crushing. I have cried every single day. I know everyone on here is feeling it too..

Us pet lovers are so special to be able to have special bonds with these beautiful creatures.

I hope you keep posting.

Hugs

Daisy's mamma.
Quote 1 0
CarolineMc
@chilover Dixie had lost a total of 4 pounds, so sad that the infection took so much from her. Her spirit was strong despite the fear and not knowing what was going on. She loved life and lived it as much as she could. Thanks for your comment. It helps when we share our story and reaching out. I love my new BFF, 4 1/2 year old Dachshund/Labrador Retriever. She is something else and a joy. Wags her tail every morning. 

Caroline McClain
Quote 0 0
chilover
CarolineMc

Dixie was lucky to have had you and she sounds like she had a wonderful life.

I am happy that you have a new friend, your Zoey, who will no doubt bring you years of happiness & you will bring her the same..

Lots of love
Daisy's mamma..
Quote 0 0