Boomboom
Did I put him down to soon? The vet told me he was in pain, I'm sure he was from the run he took but the disease he had (degenerative myelepthy) is not painful from what I just read. Yez eventually he would not be able to stand & walk but the vet told me he was in pain. He never showed it before that run he took so I'm thinking he was just hurting from that but with some meds & some rest he woulda been fine, for a bit. Again my whole goal was to have someone come to the house & do it calmly & peacefully. He's always stressed at the vet & all he wanted was for me to take him home. & I didn't. I coulda made him comfortable for a few more wks at least I think. He was old & I'm sure he had aches & pains but I feel like I cheated him & I feel horrible now
Quote 0 0
Furevrmommasbabies
I feel the same way. Our Diesel had diabetes and was blind but he seemed happy and content following my husband around. He fell on Friday and seemed to be in pain, we were afraid to leave him by himself and after talking to the vet, we decided it was time to put him down. I have terrible guilt because he was happy on saturday before we went to the vet and I feel like he had good days left in him. I can only tell you that we don’t have a crystal ball, we made what we believed was the best decision with the information we had at the time. I long for a do over but what can we do. I’m sorry for your loss. I think our logical minds made the decision and now our hearts are second guessing it. I pray you can find comfort that you are not alone, I am grieving my special boy and questioning my decisions as well. Hold on to your special memories and know that their souls are free now
Quote 0 0
Boomboom
Thank you, your words help alot. I'm 99.9999999% sure I did the rt thing. He did lick me 3x before he went so I'm hoping that was a sign. I'm sorry for your loss to , prayers at being sent to you ASAP. Its just not the same.
Quote 0 0
pwjep94
I have had many of the same questions.  I put my dear, sweet Nicka down just over a week ago.  I was planning a week away and leaving her with a friend in my home.  She had been diagnosed with cancer and was evidenced by a large tumor on her leg.  A couple days before I left, it grew to the point that it was probably going to burst while I was gone.  She was also becoming more restless and finding it harder and harder to get comfortable.  She was still engaged, eating, affectionate, but I knew she was very uncomfortable and that I would be making the decision to put her down within a week anyway.  So, I chose to do it before I went away.  Today is the first day back without her here to greet me.  To make this worse, my husband passed away just 2 years ago.  I had gone away to be away on the anniversary of his death.  This was the last dog we had together.  I feel not only the loss of my big girl, she was a Cane Corso, but feel the loss of my husband even more acutely.  Trying to get my head around this.  Believe I saved her from a lot of suffering.  Had the tumor burst, she would have been so uncomfortable and sick.  Still missing her so very much.  Miss my husband too.
Quote 0 0
Gamcc
I just made the appt for tomorrow to put my Gracie to sleep. Now I’m thinking I can keep her longer. Is that selfish? She’s got nasal cancer but is doing ok with it. But now she’s just sleeping, not playing not eating much and having trouble walking. Maybe I should keep her with me just a little longer. I can’t quit crying!
Quote 0 0
Furevrmommasbabies
I don’t know your situation and I don’t know if we will ever truly know when the right time is. What I wished for my Diesel was to weigh out if he had more good days then bad.... I feel I put him down prematurely because I was worried he would suffer another fall and possibly break a leg or something. I will send some prayers your way to help you find peace with what ever decision you make
Quote 0 0
Furevrmommasbabies
PWJep94,

I’m so sorry for the loss of both your husband and your dog in such a short time period. I’m sending lots of love and prayers your way. I’m sure Nicka and your husband are watching over you
Quote 0 0
Eileennellie
My 12 1/2 year old Doberman, Paris, also had degenerative myelopathy. We had no idea and she had no signs of it at all until the last weeks. We thought she was having back pain, and X-rays showed calcification of her spine, so we started Rimadyl and thought that would fix it. Then we put her on Tramadol because she showed more signs of pain. Less than two weeks after, she was stumbling down her legs would go out from under her. But she just kept trying and going, and was still eating well and seemed happy. Then she started waking up at night, and whining and panting. Her last night, we got almost no sleep, even with extra meds. She was panting and upset no matter what I did. She didn't go to the bathroom in the morning and I knew she was so tired, and she was ready. I made an appointment for vet to come at 6 pm ( it was 12:30pm), but called back in 20 minutes and asked them to come asap. She lay with her head on my lap and I knew she wasn't going to get back up. But despite how sure I was that she was telling me she was ready, I have not stopped questioning my decision. I think I probably always will, but deep down, I know I made the best choice for her. Who knows what unforeseen things could have caused her to suffer more. Could I have kept her here longer? Yes. But would she have wanted that? No. It's the last gift we give them, letting them go confortable and loved. It's an ideal scenario if you are lucky enough to be able to get to do this for them. You 100% did the right thing.
Quote 0 0
Boomboom
I just don't think he was ready, jus yet. He wasn't telling me he was tired. He wasn't waking up panting except for the morning of, after his run. The longer I waited the worst he woulda got but he never showed me any signs of hurting. He still had his huge appetite.The vet made it very clear that he was in pain so I took her word for it but now I can't help but to 2nd guess myself . I wish more then anything that he woulda gave me a sign like, yes dad im ready & lay his head in my lap, at home like I wanted.
Quote 0 0
Furevrmommasbabies
Boom boom,

My heart aches for you. I’m still struggling with the same issue. We took a few pics before we left for the vet and now that I look at them I see how happy he looks and it tears me up because I think he would’ve been more tired and worn out if he was ready to go. I am trying to remember the good years we had with him and not that final day, but it’s difficult. Please try to forgive yourself and know that you made the decision with the advice of a medically trained professional and the decision was based off of love. You did not want your buddy to be in pain or be suffering in any way. One day at a time
Quote 0 0
Boomboom
If you read my post " I should feel lucky" that's how I want to feel
Quote 0 0
Furevrmommasbabies
Yes I saw that and from what I read, you really gave Boomer a great life and he gave back so much love to you as well. I’m trying to tell myself that this is going to take time and I’m hopeful that someday my thoughts of Diesel will be focused on how he lived and how I feel he is free now. I wish the same for you and all of us here grieving
Quote 0 0