wkcookie
I lost my Cookie almost 3 months ago.  Last night, I started to dog sit for my neighbor for a few days. Their dog is old so I go to their apartment so it won't disrupt the dog's natural and comfortable home. Their dog is on heart medication and on a kidney friendly diet.  Their dog is old but not as old as my Cookie. Cookie was 16.5 years when she left this Earth.

When I see my neighbor's dog, I can see that the dog is old. But it makes me wonder if I did enough to prolong my dog's life and comfort. Cookie was on medicine for cushing's and then rimadyl to help with her bladder tumor but it was kidney failure that did it. I put her on one sub q IV fluid which seemed to help for 1 day but it was downhill from there.  I know I shouldn't be comparing dogs but my neighbor's dog is still eating like a horse and still has some speed in its quick legs and still curious about its surroundings.  My Cookie wasn't like that the last few weeks of her life.  In a way, it helps remind me that my time with Cookie on this Earth has come to an end but in a way, it makes me wonder if I did enough for her.  Should I have continued the meds and subq fluids just to squeeze a few more precious moments with her. Or does she forgive me for physically letting go. How I miss the love of my life!
Quote 0 0
LuckyLouWho23
I'm so sorry for your loss. Please don't think that way. From everything that you said you did everything that you could for Cookie. She had a long, good, special life with you, one that nobody else could have given to her. She knows how much you love her. Our sweet boy Jack lived until he was almost 17. I just didn't want to let him go, but in the end he could barely walk. He couldn't eat unless I fed him. I didn't want to let go not just for me, but for my daughter. She grew up with Jack. We had Popcorn too, and he needed us to take care of him. Popcorn died recently. He had just turned 11. It will be a month this Friday since he's been gone. My daughter and I cry all the time. I can barely sleep. I don't know if I will ever understand why Popcorn was taken away from us. What's worse is that her dad was the one who put him to sleep. I will never be able to explain this to her, because I don't understand it myself. Once again I am so sorry for your loss. I wish that there was more that I could say to help you.
Quote 1 0
William
Wkcookie
You can't compare. Different illness, different breeds and even a few years in age can make a difference. Side effects of medication cause lots of issues.
You did a lot for Cookie. But you had to think of Cookies quality of life in the end. I'm sure Cookie wouldn't want needle sticks everyday. Of course Cookie would endure anything you did. But, that would not have been a good quality of life.
I'm sorry for your loss. It sounds like you had a great life with Cookie.
Peace as you grieve
🐾💕❤️
Kim
Quote 2 0