prisskat

I am so sad. Yesterday we lost our beloved mischief. She was almost 3 years old and had no symptoms. She was fine then an hr later gasping for air. I thought she was choking so I put my finger down her throat to get her to throw up. She bit me and was till choking. When I touched her side she cried in pain. The closest emergancy vet was 15 mins away. I don't understand how a local vet that is down the street doesn't do emergancy services. They close at 6pm this happened at 7pm. We called and they said closest was 15 miles away. I grabbed my baby and we ran out of the house. I was in my PJ's and barefoot but I didn't care. My husband drove as fast as his could. She was meowing and looking at me saying mommie help me. Herr breathing became more labored so i started breathing into her little mouth to help her. 2 mins away from the vet she gave up fighting and put her little head in my arm and passed. We still went to vet for hope but it was too late, she started leaking blood. The vet said she had a cardiac arrest. I am SO MAD wondering if my regular vet had opened to take an emergancy case she would still be alive. Instead of driving 15 mins w/ her in pain. Having her die in my arms was the worst pain I have ever felt. i just see her little eyes looking at me begging for help. We lost her "brother" last year in march 3 days after I had major surgery. He had FIV and we didn't know it. We took Mischeif and our other cat to the vet to get them checked out. If she had a heart problem shouldn't they have detected it then?

Quote 0 0
Johara

im so sorry for your loss. i acn imagine you have many unanswered questions. hope u manage to get the answers you need and that they help you with what you are going through

Quote 0 0
Peyton
Prisskat I am so sorry for your sudden loss. My situation three days ago was very scarily similar. Up until a few days before my K2 had never been sick. Our vet who was a CARDIOLOGIST(!) said that it was a UTI giving him problems but alerted us to a SLIGHT and benign heart murmer. She said we didn't need worry about it for a few more years and chances were even then it wasn't a big deal. She was wrong. It wasn't a slight murmer it was advanced heart disease. He was only 6. I chose to put him down instead of him passing from kidney failure or cardiac arrest.

I'm so sorry...I know first hand how traumatic having them go so quickly is (as well as seeing them like that after as the same thing happened with K2). From what my best friend (a vet tech) tells me heart disease can be hard to see in a cat. I know it's probably not any comfort but when a kitty gets heart disease like that theres not really anything that can be done even if you catch it early. I can definetly understand why you'd be angry (I'm upset at our first vet who led us to believe it wasn't anything to worry about) but you did everything you could for her. I'm so thankful mine was able to go quickly...I would rather that then months and months of illness. I can tell you this much...Her mewing at you was not to tell you she was afraid...It was to calm you.
"I promised I would never leave you and you should always know no matter where you go no matter where you are I never will be far away....Goodnight my angel now its time to dream and dream how wonderful your life will be...someday we'll all be gone but lulabies go on and on they never die that's how you and i will be."
Quote 0 0
creampuff

Prisskat, I too had a little purrkitty pass away in my arms.  My orange tabby, Bubba Lou, had never been diagnosed with anything other than a slight heart murmur.  One afternoon, he went into a seizure and within seconds lay dead in my arms.  I know the heartbreak and grief you are feeling.  We are all here for you and all of us understand what you're going through.  We care.   Jane

Quote 0 0
prisskat
Thank you everybody. -Peyton- I'm sorry about your K2. And thanks for the comment about her meowing as not being scared but as to calm me. That makes me feel a little better and a little less guilty.
-Creampuff-  I'm sorry about your bubba lou and the trauma I know you felt after it happening in your arms.. I know thats what I feel.
I know I did eveything I could have. And I realize if it was going to happen it was going to happen weather we were at home or on the way to the vet. In a way, I guess I"m glad she passed in my arms with her daddy by myside driving. At least she knew she was loved and her parents were near. Right before she passed she put her little head down and curled up in the slight of my arm.  I just think the most tramatic thing for me was looking into those big green eyes and realizing my baby was no longer in them. That is what actually haunts me.  Last night I couldn't let myself go to sleep until after 8pm (even thought I was exausted) b/c thats around when all this happened the night b4 and I was thinking what if my other two babies need me and I am asleep. Which I know is irrational and I eventually fell into a very light sleep. I felt much better when my other babies joined me on the bed only then could I really get to sleep.... I feel a little better about it all today though.. Thank you
Quote 0 0