Stephbruno71
I made the impossible decision to put my poor Bernie down this morning. I feel so angry that I didn’t have more time with him. He was only 7 yrs old but over the last year was declining due to severe constipation. We tried every thing from medications to special diets. My poor boy took all of the treatments and meds without complaint. The last few months involved having to go to the vet multiple times for sedated enemas with the hope that he would begin moving his bowels on his own. It had to be awful for him but he was so loving and loyal; he never showed us he was in pain. He loved life and really fought to stay with us. He would do well for a few weeks after these difficult treatments and then it would all start over with him becoming lethargic, stopping eating and vomiting. The vet could not provide a definitive diagnosis but his thought was our Bernie developed megacolon. Surgery was just not an option for us and the vet was not very hopeful that it would improve his quality of life. He went so peacefully. The vet medicated him the day before he was to cross the rainbow bridge and we were able to have a really nice last day with a lot of spoiling. He passed this morning knowing that we loved him with all our hearts. I was able to tell him last night that it’s ok to let go and that he won’t be in pain anymore. As for me, that’s a different story. I just don’t know how I’m going to pick up the pieces and move on. I’m on this scary emotional roller coaster; it’s all so raw. Coming here has definitely helped and I’m sure I will be here a lot over the next few months to help me get through this.
Quote 0 0
CK1991
Sending my heartfelt sympathy Stephanie. What a terrible time you’ve been through with your dear Bernie. I think you should come here because people here understand the pain of losing a beloved pet. I love the pictures. He’s a beautiful dog!! Hugs to you!
CK
Quote 0 0
Mistysmama
I am so sorry about your Bernie. Poor boy, he was so brave. What a lovely handsome kind looking boy.
That must have been a horrible thing for him to have to go through, but he wanted to stay with you as long as he possibly could.

You made the right decision. Now he has no more pain. Blessings to Bernie in Spirit.

We will all be here for you. My kindest thoughts.
Hold the love like a little light. It is all you have, or will ever have, to find your way home.

Misty's Blog..a Dogfight with Cancer http://www.mistysblog69.blogspot.co.uk

Misty's life after death: http://www.dog2spirit.com
Quote 0 0
Kayleigh1986
What a beautiful boy steph, take it day by day darling talk on here allow urself to cry and feel xxxxx
Quote 0 0
Stephbruno71
I’m going to try my best to get through this day. I’m going to work and not sure if I’m going to be able to hold it together when people ask how I’m doing. Not good, not good at all. I feel so empty inside right now
Quote 0 0
CK1991
I wanted to stop by your thread just to let you know you’re being thought of.. I hope you’re doing okay!
CK
Quote 0 0
Achilly
Oh your Bernie looked like such a sweet boy.
Quote 0 0
Laj8
My husband and just went through sending our precious boy, Tazz to cross the bridge.  We are both just devastated.  Our boy crossed the Rainbow Bridge 4 days ago.   We are absolutely heartbroken.  Thank you for sharing your story.  It really helps us connecting with true animal lovers who really know how we feel.  🙏
We are so sorry for your loss we understand your pain.

Tazz’s Mom ❤️
Quote 0 0
codysmum102
Steph it is amazing how good and brave our babies are and how they totally trust and love us when going through their health issues. They are never angry even on their worse days, always happy to just be with us. I am sorry you had such little time with your Bernie but I know that no matter how long my Cody would have been with me it would never have been long enough. Letting go is truly a double edged sword. I am glad my Cody will no longer have seizures or be in pain but the pain for me is just beginning. Keep coming here and talking because it does help to know you're not alone in your grief.
Julie
Julie 💔
"Grief only exists where love lived first."
--Franchesca Cox
Quote 1 0