mastorofpuppetz
Hello, I decided to join as I am going through a real tough time. We had a brutal Winter Storm here, which shut down the city for 6 days now, no vets are still open except for food, except one Speciality Clinic. The same night of the storm, our 2 year old, orange medium hair cat got sick, stopped eating, could not even keep water down. It was 2 days before we could even get him to the Specialty vet....Once there, the cost was outrageous. We spent 2k on just Xrays and Iv over night...only to find out he had a blockage, and needed surgery...they sent us a quote for 8k. Suffice to say we simply do not have that kind of money. The Vet said we can keep him on IV for another day, sometimes that will free up the blockage. I went to see him later that day, he was purring, and seemed happy..but then, he got real bad, was projectile vomiting, and seemed to be suffering. The vet said we had to decide, with a broken heart, I had to put him down. I am devastated, keep blaming myself, and to make matters worse, I called some other vets a few days later, and even though they still are not doing surgeries due to the poor roads, the cost would have been drastically less, around 1.5-2 k which we would have done. I am upset, very angry at the price gouging of this "Speciality Vet Clinic", as well as just the very bad luck and timing, if not for this massive storm that covered us in huge amounts of snow, we would have operated and a very high chance he is still here. It has been 2 days since and I am still a mess, feel tired, depressed, upset.  He was an amazing cat with a lively personality, and very affectionate, he certainly deserved a better fate , then some Speciality vet holding his life for ransom for a gross amt of money. Not sure what else I can do to get rid of the guilt/anger. 
Quote 0 0
laudirandell
I am so very saddened to hear about your loss. The situation was out of your control and you had no option of getting him to a vet. It sounds like you are a fellow Newfie as am but I have been living in Ontario for the past 22 years. I lost my little dog on November 26 last year and even after two months it still feels like yesterday. I don't have any special cure or way to relieve your pain but to just listen and tell you time is the only thing that will help. Its still very fresh and what you are feeling is so very normal. These vet clinics are a business and its unfortunate they fell the need to charge such unrealistic prices for procedures and tests. 8k is a substantial amount of money and not something most people can afford. You were in a tough situation and did what you could. I am praying for you and please be kind to yourself. It doesn't feel like it now but in time you will come to terms with it. 
laudi
Quote 0 0
mastorofpuppetz
Thanks for your kind words, yes I am a Newfie...the snow here has paralysed St. John's. It is very hard, I was not expecting this to hit me this hard to be honest. You really form a Bond with them. A lot of it is just frustration, in just the bad timing of it all. I guess you are right though....it will just take time.
Quote 0 0
BerniesOwner
I feel similar sadness, guilt, and frustration. My Bernie, only 2 years old, had a very bad seizure in the middle of the night over the weekend. His regular vet did not leave an emergency number on their voicemail, (someone there forgot to turn on the after hours greeting), and I could not locate an emergency vet close by. I was left dealing with trying to stabilize Bernie myself and lost him during the night. I keep replaying the events of that night and don’t think I will ever get over losing Bernie. Maybe it will make you feel better to know you are not alone.

It is unfortunate that some vets don’t always act in the best interest of the pets that they treat.
Quote 0 0
laudirandell
Hi Bernie's Owner,

That is such a true statement....too many vet clinics/hospitals are in it for the almighty dollar. I am sure all of them choose to be a vet because they do love animals, however, the money aspect eventually overtakes the fact of providing optimal care. 
I am saddened to hear about Bernie but again, you couldn't have known and what option did you have if there wasn't a vet available to take him to. Be kind to yourself, you did all you could do.
laudi
Quote 0 0
Rosanne777
What a darn shame that the love of money
has stood in the way of saving your Cats
life.
Quote 0 0