merr823
I need help.  Serious help.  My cat Dave died yesterday, and it was my fault.  I leave my garage door open about 10 inches (daytime only) so my cats can go in and out. I had to go shopping early before all the panic shoppers cleared the shelves.  Closed the door, gathered my list and purse and headed out.  As I walked to my car, I saw Dave, trapped beneath the door.  I was too late.  He was gone.  I failed him on every level.  I cannot get the image out of my head.  He was 12, and the nicest, sweetest cat.  I can't sleep. I can't eat.  I can't function.
Quote 0 0
Linda24
I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet kitty.  the same thing almost happened to one of my cats. the garage door came down on her and trapped her. on her neck.  I’ll never get that image out of my head, but I was able to get it off her in time. I know it must have been awful, but know this, it wasn’t your fault. it was an accident. hugs and prayers for you. 
Linda A.
Quote 1 0
BorderCollieLover
merr823:

I am so sorry about the loss of your beloved cat. This was pure and simple an accident. You didn't do this on purpose. Please don't beat yourself up and agonize that you are irresponsible in any way. I hope you are able to come to terms with this and find some kind of peace as you grieve. Please post here often and let us know how you are doing. Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way.

Warmest regards,

Jim

Jim Miller
Quote 1 0
Bigcatsdad
I'm so very sorry for the loss of your cat Dave.
There are many things that happen in life the we have absolutely no control over. This was not your fault and you had no way of knowing this would happen. This was a tragic accident. Please don't blame yourself. Our little furry ones become such an integral and close part of our lives. When they leave us suddenly or by us deciding to end their pain or suffering it's truly devastating and the grief and heart break can seem overwhelming. You gave Dave a good loving home for years, as painful as it is I hope in time this can bring you a little bit of comfort. The memory and spirit of him will be in the paw prints in your heart forever.
This forum is really helpful, so many here understand what you are feeling and going through. As painful as it may be sometimes, try and share your feelings in your posts when you are ready, it really helps to talk about it and get your feelings and sadness out.
Deepest condolences from the bottom of my heart.
Bigcatsdad
Quote 2 0
Molly4always
I’m so sorry for your loss of your sweet kitty.  Many years ago, I lost my cockatiel, Taffy, to a tragic accident that was all my fault.  She loved me and followed me everywhere.  I went to my desk not realizing she had followed me and I ended up stepping on her.  I didn’t put my full weight so she was still alive. I rushed her to the vet but she didn’t make it through the night. I was devastated; she was only 8 months old.  The guilt and grief were unbearable at times. My world was torn apart.  But somehow I was able to forgive myself but it took a long time.  I realize that it was an accident and that I wouldn’t have harmed her for the world.  But I still remember the sound of her scream when I put her in the cage; that will never leave me.  So all I can say is that you will get over this but it’ll take time.  Try not to be too hard on yourself.  I know you loved Dave and you would have done anything to save him.  We here can’t take your pain away but we can listen.
Quote 2 0
Buddy_Mama
Oh merr823, I'm so, so sorry. What you're feeling is understandable, but it was not your fault, at all. Please focus on forgiving yourself... I'm certain that's what Dave would want. You are a good person. Please keep posting and sharing how you're doing. We are here to support you with love and understanding. Sending you hugs... 
Cindy (Buddy’s mama)
My baby Buddy 5/4/10-3/7/20, rescued March 2011
My sweet Mandy 11/27/91-11/2/10, rescued November 1992
My beautiful Barney 4/28/73-9/7/92, adopted May 1973
Quote 1 0
merr823
I want to thank each of you who responded to my post, and for your support and comforting words. I am still in agony. This has been a week lost, basically to doing anything productive. I have to force myself to eat. Sleep has been minimal. Every time I close my eyes, I see the image of Dave in my head. This morning I thought to myself, “This is what torture must feel like.” But it is completely self-torture.
Quote 0 0
billybobm57
I am sorry to hear for your loss and the agony you are experiencing.   I lost my cat Harry three weeks ago and experienced the same agony.  I am still grieving but the pain and the agony is going away.  As they say "time will heal".  May God bless you and easy your pain.  
Quote 0 0
Buddy_Mama
merr823, I hope you’re doing better since your last post. Are you eating and sleeping, at least better than you were? Are you able to do some productive things, even if only for part of each day? It’s especially hard to be grieving our babies when we’re stuck in our homes due to this virus situation. I hope you have someone living with you or nearby that you can also lean on for support, in addition to all of us here. Take care of yourself. Hugs...
Cindy (Buddy’s mama)
My baby Buddy 5/4/10-3/7/20, rescued March 2011
My sweet Mandy 11/27/91-11/2/10, rescued November 1992
My beautiful Barney 4/28/73-9/7/92, adopted May 1973
Quote 0 0