Kaylaperrin7
We had to put my dog down yesterday of 17 years. I had her since I was 8! My heart is broken I really feel like apart of me died with her. She had a bad seizure on the way to the vet I keep seeing it all in my head over and over again. She wasn't a pet she was my family basically my sister. I am just so depressed I feel so guilty that I made this choice. I didn't know what else to do. She was in so much pain I had to do something maybe I should have let her go naturally but seeing her like that was unbearable. I don't think I have ever been this depressed.
Quote 0 0
BorderCollieLover
Kaylaperrin7:

My heartfelt condolences on your loss. I think everyone in this Forum is experiencing depression to one degree or another. I know I am. My dog passed a few weeks ago and the pain of losing her has completely turned my whole world upside down. I miss her so much. She was my little girl, my confidante, my special companion, my walking buddy and the best friend I've ever had. Please post often in this Forum as it can help with your grief. There are many caring, compassionate people here who want to hear about your baby. You are not alone.

Jim

Jim Miller
Quote 0 0
Kaylaperrin7
Thank you so much I am so sorry for your loss too. Talking about it does help. I have never had a animal so long she fought to the very end. She was so special just amazingly sweet always loved belly rubs. I dont have any human friends, I have my family but they dont want to talk about it. My family always keeps stuff bottled up. For the longest time my pets have always been my friends I talk to them like I would any person. My other 2 dogs are depressed to. I have to be strong for them but it's so hard. The only other animal loss that hit me like this was my baby Spunky he lived to 7. But he didn't die of old age he escaped and someone shot him. It was awful and I still cry about him. But watching an animal die of old age is different for me. It was heart wrenching. It's so crazy how this precious gifts these wonful beings influence your life so much. I have always liked animals especially dogs better than people. But I'm glad I have humans now to discuss this with. Thank you everyone!
Quote 0 0
Becky1990
Dear Kaylaperrin7,
I am so sorry for the loss of your furbaby. I think most of us here provably prefer animals over humans, so we know how you feel. I loss my 19 year old kitty, 3 weeks tomorrow. And it still hurts like hell! Please share as often as you need to here. We all are going through the same thing and understand. This site has helped me tremendously. By the sounds of your words, you were a loving parent and she knew you loved her with all your heart. Let us know how you are doing. Big hugs.
Quote 0 0
pannklaus
I am so sorry about the loss of your precious dog.  Many people have great difficulties with their feelings after a decision is made to end a beloved fur baby's suffering.  But waiting for a natural death would not be better.  If it happened naturally before the decision had to be made, that is one thing.  But having an animal gradually die by not eating and just lying in pain waiting for the end is a bad death.  The feelings you are having now are a part of the normal grief process--if you love an animal, especially with a very deep love, the downside is that we have to live through miserable grief and depression when we lose that beloved fur baby.  But would you have wanted to give up the good years you had with your dog-- not caring or loving in order to avoid the pain now?  That is the choice that goes with love.  Continue to express your  feelings here.  This is a group of people who understand grief and its many variations.
Patsy
Quote 0 0
Julls
I am soo soo sorry for the loss of your wee dog of 17 years. 😢 Likewise my dog was 17 and we lost him to heart failure. Nearly 4 weeks in and the loss is still very difficult. He was my best friend and knew my every move. I still think that I see him in the house at times....I completely know the pain and sorrow that you are currently going through....I just hope that it comes a time that I can talk about him without shedding lots of tears... Your not alone...it’s good to talk and express your feelings...Sending you big hugs xx
Quote 0 0
Kaylaperrin7
Thank you so much everyone! Hearing your stories help so much. Today is a little better I feel better about my decision and you are right letting her die a slow painful death would have been wrong. I still feel like this is all a bad dream and I will wake up and see her young and heathly. I hope there is a heaven or any afterlife where we will be together again. I'm wondering how can I help my other pets? They feel the loss too. I've been trying to give them extra loves. Hershey my other dog was cocoas son he is about 8 he keeps sleeping all the time and just seems confused like he keeps looking for her. He is a big lab pit mix he usually sleeps on his dog bed I've been letting him sleep in our bed it's a little crowded but I hope it helps him. My little dog always sleeps with us he seems jealous lol. But he is being so sweet lately at least to me. I appreciate all the positive feedback it really does help knowing I am not a lone.
Quote 0 0
Becky1990
Kaylapperin7
Keep on doing what you are doing for your other grieving pets. The extra love, playing, treats,and attention does help them. It is 3 weeks today that I loss my 19 year old kitty. I have another one that is 18 years old and it broke my heart to see her grieving . She followed his lead!! She is getting better by the extra love. They were together for 16 plus years. I am so sorry for your loss. Keep writing and let us know how you are doing. Hugs.
Quote 0 0
Julls
❤️❤️❤️ Your not alone...It’s always good to talk about our thoughts and feelings... It helps x
Quote 0 0
Michelemh
I lost my dog two weeks ago. I still am so upset and feel like I can't breath. I can't believe she is no longer here. She would have been 18. She was a best friend and always there. A once in a life time dog. It is hard without her.
Quote 0 0
jerigraehl
I am so sorry for your loss. I am 2 months in with my grieving process. It is so horribly painful but I knew that when I adopted that the day would come in some way or another. Each one is as different as the precious life that we lost. The one thing that is the same is the intense pain. I am like you - I prefer animals to humans. The love is so pure and untainted. I too come from a family that does not show emotion - at least not healthy emotion. So my pets were my family as a child. I lost my cat at age 4 years that I got for my 10th birthday. It was my first experience with death and I was beyond devestated. I think when we lose a pet we suffer the cumulation effect - all the losses come up. Your loss of your dog is expecially rough given that you had her since your were 8. That is amazing! Try to think of how much she knew you loved her, and that she lived a very long life and that you were with her when she went. It helped me to go onto the candle light vigil on this site. If you haven't you may want to honor her that way. I had my cat Khaomanee's ashes surrounded by his picture and candles for a few weeks - it has been 2 months since I made the very regrettable and extreemly guilt ridden decision to euthanize him. I can't get the last day out of my mind. I am so traumatized and guilty and depressed still. I don't know what I would do without my other cat Sugar Bear. I am so afraid of losing her now. She is 14. I would give anything to change so many things about how I managed Khaomanee's heath issues. I wish I could go back. He meant more to me than anyone except Sugar Bear. I know eveyone on this site understands the level of love we have for our pets - and the level of loss when we lose them. Many people don't understand because they have never experienced a pure untainted love that we feel for animals we personally know and who are deeply embedded in our hearts and souls. I can only pray I will see my pets again in the next life. I can't imagine God creating such a bond without allowing us to see them again.  I am so sorry for your loss. I know the hole in your heart is huge. The only thing I can say is that tho there will never be another relationship like you had with her, your heart will expand for another animal at some point in your life as well as with your other pets. I have been much closer to my remaining cat Sugar Bear since losing Khaomanee. She is more affectionate now that he is gone. He was the attention seeker and she took a back seat. Since he has been gone I give her so much more attention and affection. I sleep with her every night - she is right here as I type. I don't know what I will do when I lose her. It scares me so much to think about it. I can't bear another loss. Again, I am so sorry. 
jerigraehl
Quote 0 0