Forum

Author   Comment  
House_of_Tabbies

Reply with quote  #1 

I have been a mom to many cats over the years, from my first cat (a kitten that was born in the house I grew up in), to my "failed foster" kitty that I adopted 2 years back.

Today my boyfriend and I are going to be saying goodbye to one of the best cats that has ever shared my life.  Drusilla. 

She has a long and wonderful story, but I'll put that in a separate thread.

It's this having to make the decision to let her go that is ripping me up inside.

No matter how many cats I've have had to make this decision for, it's always gut wrenching.  It never gets any easier and I always torture myself into thinking there was something more I could have done.

Dru started going downhill over a week ago. She'd been on a half tablet of prednisolone for a few months. The vet thought that she could have cancer, or a bad flare of IBD.  She was not vomiting, but her gut was not absorbing all the food she was eating.

She'd always had a strong appetite, and had been responding well to the medication until around 10 days ago when she started to eat less, if at all.  Her blood tests showed signs of anemia.

The vet bumped her pred dose back up to a full tablet, I tried just about every food I knew of to coax her to eat.  The most she would do is a few bites, or a few cat treats.
Then I started syringe feeding her.. she was not happy...

I've made the appointment for this afternoon... but I'm absolutely sick about it.  There is part of me that keeps thinking "what if..." but I look at her sleeping, barely able to stand  (she's fallen over twice in the past couple days) and wonder what else I could have done for her.

We still have other kitties (and 2 dogs) in our family who need our love and attention, but little Dru's decline is really hitting us hard.

Dru's vet office are a wonderful, caring practice and we'll be there with her.  It just rips me up inside that even though we've had almost 16 years together that this is the end of our journey together here on Earth. 

Sad kitty parents,
Amy and Eric

partangel

Reply with quote  #2 
I feel your pain and am so sorry you have to go through this! It doesn't matter how long we get with our babies...it's never enough! Their lives are way to short. God gave us these wonderful creatures, one of the best creations He created (IMO). Loving, forgiving, faithful, nonjudgemental, with eyes that consume your heart! I had to make that decision last Friday for my wonderful little boy, Goliath. It was one I had to make way to quick, completely unexpected, heart-wrenching nonetheless. My Goliath was the baby! I have his daddy and a Morkie who absolutely loved Goliath. My Morkie literally took care of Goliath, cleaned his ears every day, snuggled next to him, played with him, always left a little food behind in his bowl, just for him. Hearing him grieve the loss is so hard! I am doing my best to pour my love into the other two fur babies I have but feel just like you do. Goliath believed he was a human and I couldn't argue! He acted as one most of the time. I am so glad to hear your vet is so caring. I wish I could say the same. I am so disappointed in mine. I will be finding a new one for my other two babies. It should be that way. After all, it's about the fur babies. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your fur babies! (((hugs)))

Reply with quote  #3 

Thank you.  My boyfriend has been having a hard time with Dru's passing because she was always glued to his side when he sat down on the sofa. She would just snuggle up next to him and purr.

We have a blended pet family.. with Drusilla there were 4 brown tabbies we would affectionately refer to as the "brown gang".  They would all lounge around on the sofa together, even if they didn't groom each other they were still their own little mini pride.

As of yesterday that dynamic changed.  Buddy and Sofie (my boyfriend's kitties) seem a bit lost. They're back to sleeping on the bed.

My chonky tabby boy Pyewacket is just hanging out in my home office with me, and our other 2 kitties Alfie and Simon also seem really confused.  The dynamic has shifted here.

Mostly, it's an empty hole where our little Drusilla was.  Her favorite spot by the window, her spot on the sofa.. not yet taken over by one of the other kitties.

I keep seeing her in my mind.. standing on the table where we feed our "tree" cats (as Jackson Galaxy calls them) .   I always had to fuss over her to make sure the other kitties didn't swoop in and eat whatever she left in her bowl.  I had to make sure she was okay.. it was a labor of love for years because she'd had some health problems in her golden years.

We had an amazing journey together.. almost 16 years from the time I got her as a tiny kitten that a couple posted about in an online forum I was on back then.  A little brown ball of fur and squeek with huge ears and a big personality.  She was one of the most amazing, loving, beautiful cats I've ever shared my life with.

Our grieving her loss is going to take time, she was so very special and so very much loved.

The only peace I can muster up is that I can remember her as plump, vibrant, and actively chattering at the birds outside, or meowing up at me to fill her food bowl.  I hated seeing her crouched and low to the ground, barely able to meow (her meows had become more like whispers).  My babygirl...   

partangel

Reply with quote  #4 
Oh my! I can feel your pain! Everything you have said I can relate to even though my fur baby was my special puppy. I keep looking at my fireplace stoop and just cry. He loved it there cause it was cooler for him. I refuse to even wash that spot right now. I can't! I have always been overprotective of my Goliath. He was heavier than he should have been, not because of overeating but due to health problems. He had a difficult time walking sometimes. The slightest push would have made him topple over. In fact, he rolled over while sleeping once and rolled between the stoop and my cabinet. Just stared at me helpless on his back! Precious guy! Good thing I was in the room at the time! I miss our snuggles, his sloppy kisses, his grunts. My Morkie keeps looking at me with his sad eyes and all I can say is "I know, I miss him too!" So heartbreaking. 
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.