Brooksey776
My 18 yr old shepherd Stormy has canine cognitive dementia . She wonders around aimlessly for hours and hours .. ....physically she's ok enough But she's lost her mind completely . Doesnt know us anymore other than those nice humans .Been going through this for months ... Finally had the strength to make an appointment Saturday to take her to her "last" vet visit . I've been grieving terribly .. Crying spells .. Guilty sad anxious overwhelmed. Thought I was overacting on emotions but have read on support groups this is so very normal. I'm trying to pull together cause Saturday isn't here yet so I still have that day and after to overcome . I realize this is a gift of peacefulness to her. My last dog fell ill quickly and that ended in emergency and..quickly ... This dementia thing is hard as we have grown 18 years with her . Its been longterm illness starting with Baby gates had to be put up . Special food preps . Then containing to areas of home to now cleaning bathroom messes that she tramples through ..We want to save her dignity and I know her body is in pain but her mind won't stop her from wandering around the house for hours .... It felt so wrong at first but now feels like the right thing to do ..This decision .. It's so hard. I have made preparations ahead of time which will hopefully help dome ......I send prayers and well wishes to everyone here going through this
Quote 0 0
MurphysMom_0831
Brooksey776 wrote:
My 18 yr old shepherd Stormy has canine cognitive dementia . She wonders around aimlessly for hours and hours .. ....physically she's ok enough But she's lost her mind completely . Doesnt know us anymore other than those nice humans .Been going through this for months ... Finally had the strength to make an appointment Saturday to take her to her "last" vet visit . I've been grieving terribly .. Crying spells .. Guilty sad anxious overwhelmed. Thought I was overacting on emotions but have read on support groups this is so very normal. I'm trying to pull together cause Saturday isn't here yet so I still have that day and after to overcome . I realize this is a gift of peacefulness to her. My last dog fell ill quickly and that ended in emergency and..quickly ... This dementia thing is hard as we have grown 18 years with her . Its been longterm illness starting with Baby gates had to be put up . Special food preps . Then containing to areas of home to now cleaning bathroom messes that she tramples through ..We want to save her dignity and I know her body is in pain but her mind won't stop her from wandering around the house for hours .... It felt so wrong at first but now feels like the right thing to do ..This decision .. It's so hard. I have made preparations ahead of time which will hopefully help dome ......I send prayers and well wishes to everyone here going through this

I'm so sorry about Stormy. It must be terribly difficult for you to go through all this with her, but how wonderful that you have. It shows how much you love her. She has lived a long and wonderful life with good care and lots of love. It is the most difficult decision we are forced to make, but can also be the kindest. In my personal opinion, the greatest thing we can do for these beloved animals is see them through their final journey after all they have done for us, and all their unconditional love, whether they realize we're with them at the time or not. They'll know later when at the Rainbow Bridge that their beloveds were there to send them off to play and be happy and healthy again. I wish we could have that dignity in our own lives if needed.

I hope you can find the strength you need to get through Stormy's journey. There are many here who understand and have gone through the same difficult decisions, questioned themselves, and prayed that their furbabies understood it was for love.

Sending prayers and will be thinking of you and your darling Stormy. I'm sure my Murphy will be waiting to greet her when she arrives at the Bridge, and they'll have a wonderful time playing together while awaiting the time we join them.

Blessings,
Murphy's Mom (Kathryn)
"Sometimes there is a dog who is so special, he is able to wrap himself so completely around your heart it is impossible to tell where you begin and he ends."  For My Beloved Murphy, 08/31/2004 - 06/18/2014

http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/MURPH121/Resident.htm

http://s327.photobucket.com/user/kathrynbrown1626/library/?sort=6&page=1
Quote 0 0
Bellamum
Hi Brooke,
I read your post through tears.  My heart goes out to you and your dear Stormy.  I can only imagine the feelings that you are experiencing at the moment.  
As Kathryn said, although the decision you have made is incredibly hard to make, it is the most loving thing we can do for our pets.  We release them from their suffering, regardless of how much we want to keep them by our sides.  I know the turmoil that goes around in your head when coming to that decision as my family and i made it for our gorgeous beagle, Bella, 16 weeks ago, as she was suffering from kidney disease.  I now describe it as the hardest and easiest decision I have ever made.  The hardest because I never, ever wanted to say goodbye to her.  The easiest because I adored her and loved her too much to knowingly have her suffer.  I am now proud of myself for being able to focus solely on her needs.  You should be proud of yourself too.
This is going to be a tough journey for you, but enjoy the rest of your time with your lovely girl.  Take lots of photos of you together with her and spend time loving her and cuddling her.  She may not know now who you are, but when she makes her journey to Rainbow Bridge, her mind will be fine and she will remember and know just how loved she is.
I wish you peace and healing.  I will keep you and Stormy in my thoughts and prayers.
Karen
(Bella, Charli and Buddy's very lucky mum)

My gorgeous girl, Bella  26/07/2004 - 03/04/2014
"You were once by our side, but you will be forever in our hearts. Until we meet again baby girl."
Quote 0 0
Brooksey776
Thank you so much Kathryn and Bellamum for your time and kind words :) I can't believe how much talking about it with others who understands gives so much relief and a sense of normalcy during such difficult time .. Thank you :)
Quote 0 0
MurphysMom_0831
Brooksey776 wrote:
Thank you so much Kathryn and Bellamum for your time and kind words :) I can't believe how much talking about it with others who understands gives so much relief and a sense of normalcy during such difficult time .. Thank you :)

I keep thinking of you and Stormy. You will both be in my prayers tomorrow. I'm so sorry you have to go through this. Putting my beloved Murphy to sleep was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. May you have peace knowing Stormy would thank you for allowing her go to the Rainbow Bridge and be herself again, happy and healthy and waiting for the joyous day you come to join her. I hope Murphy will be there to welcome her with a bow and a bark.

Blessings from my heart,
Murphy's Mom (Kathryn)
"Sometimes there is a dog who is so special, he is able to wrap himself so completely around your heart it is impossible to tell where you begin and he ends."  For My Beloved Murphy, 08/31/2004 - 06/18/2014

http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/MURPH121/Resident.htm

http://s327.photobucket.com/user/kathrynbrown1626/library/?sort=6&page=1
Quote 0 0