LynnCDM
I made the decision to put my sweet dog down yesterday...she was with me 17 years. Over the last three years she developed dementia and slowly lost her eyesight....but was otherwise relatively healthy for an old girl. She would get anxious in the car, and I could no longer take her to the groomer. She stopped going for walks but enjoyed the backyard and still loved her food. I decided to try some things to see if I could improve her quality of life. After some research I decided to try a supplement called Cholodin. After a few days she became very hyper, and stopped eating and drinking. I stopped the drug immediately. A day or two after I stopped the Chologin I took her with me on the plane to visit my mom after getting clearance from a vet. She usually did well on flights...not this time. Several hoursu after landing her nose was stuffy...still not eating or drinking. Two days later she was in the hospital for 5 days...totally dehydrated...elevated kidney and liver values. She ate a little food and drank from her bowl once, but was mostly being fed with a syringe. A day later she was pacing a lot, stuck under furniture, barking and crying. I made another appointment with the vet. 10 minutes before i was going to leave she collapsed. Her issue again was dehydration. The vet thought it was time to let her go. Today I am so sad...wondering if I should have taken her back to the hospital to try harder to save her and turn the situation around. I also feel the Cholodin contributed in some way...and I did that to her...which is devastating. I feel like I let her down in so many ways. I would love some input on how to get past the guilt and pain. Thank you for listening.
Quote 0 0
xxcesarxx
I am so sorry for your loss
Quote 0 0
LynnCDM
Thank you
Quote 0 0
Sooz
It sounds like you did everything you could ... and made the most difficult decision to say goodbye because it was the best thing to do for your girl.  She was 17, and with age, sadly, as you know, comes a lot of health issues and decline of our fur babies' overall health.  I believe you would have moved heaven and earth for her.  I'm not a vet, but to me with my doggie experiences, it sounds like there was more going on with her than just dehydration and you did the best you could.  It's so difficult. I'm so sorry for your loss...
Heaven is the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you.
Quote 0 0
LynnCDM
Thank you so much.
Quote 0 0
kittysmum
I just want to offer you my condolences and best wishes at this distressing time.
Quote 0 0
LynnCDM
Thank you
Quote 0 0
Purzel
LynnCDM,
I am sorry for your loss. What was her name?
Let me tell you that Cholodin is a food supplement belonging to the Vitamin B complex - a good portion of this is found in egg yolk and other foods. So, it can be harmful if highly overdosed but not deadly. In other words, you tried to lift the quality of life towards your beloved one and let me assure you that I added all kinds of food supplements to Max' diet in order to lift his quality of life. None of them harmful - some worked very well, some didn't. I do believe that her time had just come, 17 is a very old age and so good you had her for so long. You did not do anything wrong but tried in a very loving way to take good care of her - alone her age should tell you how successful you were in doing so.

Yet, regardless how old our beloved ones get to be with us, to lose them is always devastating. Give yourself some time to grieve. Good you came here - we all understand and will listen to you.

Tell us some more about her if you are ready to do so.

My good thoughts are with you
Silvia (with Max forever in my heart)

[hundi]

Quote 0 0
LynnCDM
Perzel...thank you so much... that helps a lot. Her name was Sugar. She was a miniature poodle...very smart (almost human), independent but loving, adventuresome and fun. She was the neighborhood greeter. When we would walk she said hi and wagged her tail and greeted every dog and human she would see. She loved making people laugh. She was strong and had a mind of her own. She thought she was a big dog and made close friend with a Rottweiler and a bull mastiff...going as far as to steal the mastiff’s bone which was almost as big as her body. 😀. For years she slept on my bed. She would watch me in the morning...wait to see me move...and come over and snuggle when she knew I was awake. She was so sweet and smart...and was also the boss of me. Lol Three years ago her kidney values changed a bit...I was told she wouldn’t live long. Over the past three years her kidneys improved. My vet said he had never seen anything like that before. This is just a small snippet of what Sugar was like. There will never be another Sugar.
Quote 0 0
Purzel
LynnCDM,

Sugar, what a lovely name for a sweet little dog. The kind like my Max was, lol. And I bet she was a big dog in her heart. It made me laugh when I imagined Sugar stealing this enormeous bone from her giant friend. What an image – thank you  so much for sharing this. The way she greeted you when you awoke, what a joy this must have been for you to be kissed “hello” . So lovely.

It so good to read joyful memories, even so it does hurt inside because they are not here anymore. I can imagine how much you miss her now.

My heart goes out to you

[hundi]

Quote 0 0
LynnCDM
Thank you for your kindness. I am definitely having a rough day....wondering if I’ll ever get past blaming myself for certain things. I was out of town so was taking Sugar to vets I didn’t know. I’ve thought about taking her records from the past few weeks to her regular vet at home to see what he thinks happened. Do you think it is appropriate to request an appointment with him since he did see her or treat her since we were out of town ? I would really like his perspective. Thanks
Quote 0 0
Ginger4256
This right here is why I love this forum
Boo' s mommy
Quote 0 0
ChronicallyAce
I am so sorry to hear about Sugar. She sounds like a lovely little girl. I know it's hard not to blame yourself, but I truly believe you did everything you could. I just lost my kitty, Dante, and I keep going over the "what ifs" in my head. I trusted his vet completely and I know she would not have suggested we put him to sleep unless she truly believed it was the right option, but there have been moments of intense guilt for making that decision. I think it's just easier to blame ourselves because it means there was some reason, and not that it's just something horrible that happened that we had no control over.

I am sure it would not be inappropriate to ask your vet to go over the records. If you had been taking Sugar there for a while, I think he'll understand. Having the support of a vet who knew my baby boy and understood his situation is the only reason I don't feel worse for what happened. Do whatever you need to do to put your mind at ease.
Dante
3/19/2013 - 5/4/2018
You are gone, my special boy, but I will love you forever. R.I.P.
Quote 0 0
LynnCDM
Thank you so much...sorry to hear about your kitty Dante.
Quote 0 0
Purzel
LynnCDM,

Yes, we all get past blaming ourselves for certain things. I suppose those "guilt sessions" belong to the normal grieving process. Give yourself some time. If you have the feeling it will ease your mind to talk to your vet then please, do so. Everything that will ease your mind is just right for you as it will help you to heal from your loss. I am very sure you did everything you possibly could in loving care for your sweet Sugar. For all you wrote about her I imagine the wonderful time she shared with you - you gave her love, joy and fun and she did have a long and fulfilling life with you by her side.

My good thoughts are with you

[hundi]

Quote 0 0