Bgorham12
My beloved cat, Oliver aka bookie passed last night and I'm lost.He had an intestinal blockage.He lived to eat silly stuff. I had a hard time coming up w the funds but finally I did.I took him to the ER vet which was ten times more due to him getting sick over the weekend.He made it thru surgery, I was soooooooooooooooooooo happy, I thought he was coming home.I thought about holding him and how much I wanted to watch our favorite tv shows together when he came home in 3 days.At 330 am my phone rang, his heart stopped they asked if I wanted him resecuitated if this happened again I said YES.They called again saying he just wasn't responding to five more and that I needed to let him go.At this point he may have brain damage.I said fine.I still wonder if that was the right decision. They said he was not lifting his head nothing.I found Oliver 2 years ago sick, starving under my tree.We nursed him back to health.He was the most loyal,loving cat I'd ever had and I'm mad at how short his life was.Its not fair.My children don't know yet.I have 3 little ones to tell. Not sure how you handle that either. I'm living in a nightmare.I keep having weird heart palpitations freaking out about the fact I'll never see him again.How do we know for sure cats go to heaven? Wish Id know then it would be easier.How do u move on? Especially how tragic and sudden he got sick.Oh Gosh I'm a wreck.
Brooke
Quote 0 0
MyBella
I am so sorry for the loss of your precious Oliver, it is so wonderful that you found him and nursed him back to health, I know he so appreciated and loved you so much for your kindness. It is so sad that your time together was so short, but I do hope that your fond and happy memories of Oliver will ease your pain over time. You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers, visit here often to help with your grieving, everyone here has gone through or is going through what you are, they are so supportive and they are a really great group of people on here.
Sincerely, Don & Vera
Quote 0 0
Manjack
Brooke,
First of all let me say how sorry I am that you have suffered this loss. I am also glad that you found this forum. Here you will find many compassionate, caring people who understand completely what you are going through. This is NOT easy but it helps to be able to communicate to people who have shared that special bond with their pets and are floundering (speaking for myself on this last point).
I know that it is too soon right now but in time you may be able to realize that the two years you had together made all the difference for him. He knew 2 years of love and caring whereas had you not found him under that tree he may have suffered abuse or starvation or cruelty...who knows ?

I too had to make the decision to euthanize our dog 4 weeks and 2 days ago. The way I look at it is that it was the last gift I could give him. I am sure you made the right decision. Ask yourself what quality of life would Oliver have had if you had kept him alive.

I am not the person to talk about heaven as I have too many doubts but I am so happy for people who hold this belief. I am sure it gives them much comfort.

You are entirely correct when you say it is not fair. I wonder if his life prior to coming into your family compromised his health/heart?

If you believe in heaven and afterlife I am sure Oliver is saying a huge Thank You both for his life with you and for letting him go when his time had come.

Know that we grieve along with you. We understand the magnitude of your loss and we struggle together.
Quote 0 0
Bgorham12
Thank you guys.Thats how I found this place.Looking for support.Sometimes family members don't understand.They think well it's just a cat.I do have my mothers support.Weve went thru two tragic losses with her cats.One whom I grew up with and spent 18 years together.Im 34 now and I still think about our cat.I told my children when the hot home from school..My oldest who's 10 is taking it the hardest while my 7 yr old twins are finding solace in making him and card and planting a flower for him.I am grateful for Oliver.He taught me a lot.I just wish he'd had more time with us.No one will ever take his place.Im sorry for your losses as well.Hearing others makes me feel not so alone.Im glad I gave found a place for support with like minded animal parents.Thank you.
Brooke
Quote 0 0
Millie
I am very sorry about oliver. Hindsight us always 20/20. I to lost my dog tragicly after a procedure. And boy I have shoulda coulda, woulda a lot to. This site has helped me to. No your not alone ...We are all walking the grief path together. It is hard to talk to family and even close friends. I thought am I going over the end and many people on here and in the chat room have been very helpful and understanding and guiding me. I hope it will help you to.
Shari Ostrowski
Quote 0 0
Bgorham12
I'm so sorry about your dog.Our situations are similar.Oliver was doing great after surgery than 5 hours out his heart stopped repeatedly.I feel like would if I didn't take him to have surgery.Tho the alternative was no chance, dying, hiding under my bed.I hope this is normal but now I'm getting negative feelings tword the vet.I feel like she should've tried harder not talked me into letting him go.I feel like maybe she just didn't want to save him.I know that's wrong but that's how I feel.At the same time we tried shocking him 6 times and he was not responsive.I also feel,like he I didn't fight hard enough.Did he want to leave me? I know that's wrong too but these emotions are insane.crazy thoughts I just can't control.I have 2 others rescues who are mourning too.Its just awful. I am so sorry to you all as well.Each day gets better it seems but I'll never forget him.I just hope he is in a better place.If cats do go to heaven he would be there.
Brooke
Quote 0 0