ajwhitak
This post is entirely self serving, self pitying, and probably totally irrational post -  and I apologize - it all happened today and I'm having a irrational inability to get past it. A veterinary office that I worked at had 5 kittens dropped outside it's door - all kittens younger than 3 weeks. I volunteered to take one and brought him home that day. Washed him, fed him, de-pooped him, etc. He seemed a little slow but he was delightful if a little unsteady and unsure of his legs (aren't they all?) 

That was only 3 days ago - through this time he ate well, had begun to show signs of playing, vocalizing, etc.  I had him in a separate room (our office) since we have 4 dogs, and he has an entire walk-in closet, beds, toys, etc. I have both a door and a gate to separate the dogs (you can see where this is headed) and I went to pet him and noticed he had urinated and defecated on his own in the litter box - I exclaimed proudly and quickly grabbed the litter pan (cut out cardboard) and walked to a garbage can I had to throw it away and change litter... suddenly (un-noticed by me) one of our miniature dachshunds raced over to it and grabbed and shook it - it screamed and I rushed over to grab it.... 5 minutes later it was gone... 

The dog is fine - though I screamed like a crazy person at her... but the fault and the mistake is mine. I didn't see her and my little guy is dead. I know time heals all things and have often counseled the same to clients in similar situations... but the guilt at letting a helpless kitten down is really hard to bear.

Anyway - sorry to whine...

Sincerely

Andrew
Quote 0 0
Jody
That is just so sad. I am so sorry that has happened to you and the little kitten... may the little kitten's soul rest in peace.
Thinking of you...
Quote 0 0
jimmy17
I am so sorry, that must have been hard to witness.  But it was an accident - like children our animals cannot be watched every second, and that`s all it takes - a split second for something to happen.  You were willing to give this kitten a chance which shows what a kind hearted person you are - unlike the lowlife who thought it okay to dump 5 tiny kittens, albeit at a vets.  Take care.

Jackie
J Taylor
Quote 0 0
ajwhitak
Thank you both for your kind words and sweet thoughts. I definitely have plenty of recrimination (deservedly so) for the lapse which allowed it to happen.  It sometimes seems silly to mourn the kitten I had only for a few days but watching them develop even for a short time is amazing. In any case - thank you very much for your thoughtfulness and willingness to post.

Sincerely,

Andrew 
Quote 0 0