Forum

Author   Comment  
TukerKolta11

Reply with quote  #1 

I lost my Cane Corso, Tucker, to bone cancer on Monday, March 12th.  It was very sudden and unexpected. We had only found out the Thursday before that he had cancer. By Saturday afternoon, Tucker was pacing, couldn't sleep, couldn't even lay down.  It just happened so fast.

We don't have children, we have our dogs, Tucker and Kolta.  We got Tucker as a wedding present to ourselves 9 years ago.  After having him for a year, we contacted the breeder and got Kolta who was his litter mate. So we had our family.

Tucker was the sweetest, happiest, most loving dog I've ever known.  You could just catch his eye across the room, and he would start wagging his tail.  When he was really happy, his whole body wagged. He was a big boy, but he was my cuddle buddy.  I miss him so much.

I am having trouble getting out of the anger stage. I wake up every day, angry, that Tucker is gone.  That it happened so fast, and at all.  We still have Kolta, and that helps.  I have never been this angry before.

Thanks for reading, any tips welcomed.

Lmthomas62

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi There,

I too, am very angry. Been crying for 2 days straight. Our boy Baxter has cancer of the pancreas and it happened so suddenly. We found out this past Monday. He had stopped eating and drinking this past Sunday.

I am utterly heartbroken as he was what I call my Wonder Wiener. He survived heartwork treatment after being rescued, and a spleenectomy to remove a tumor on that. We haven't lost him quite yet but the end is near. He is in vets on IV support until we can make a decision to euthanize, which I can't see bringing myself to do, or bringing him home for a couple of days to see if he can cross the Bridge on his own.

I don't know how to cope right now, it is so darned difficult. Know that we have support here on this forum to get us through. I've never lost a pet before. Our 5 babies are the first pack we've ever had.

I pray that you can find comfort in your memories of your precious baby. It's all we really have, I think.

Jacob, Dachshund born 06
Shorty, Dachshund born 09
Baxter, Dachshund born around 05
Raine

Reply with quote  #3 
so sorry for your loss. I lost my precious ladybug  on june 2. im so lost with out her my life is lost I feel so mad I don't know how to deal with the pain and anger. I just ell my self she js in a better place at the bridge and I will see her someday, I  wish you  all the best just take it one day at a time. our pets are the best.

Raine

Reply with quote  #4 
Yes, it's the absolute worst pain I've ever felt. I have NEVER felt this type or magnitude of pain even when a human family member dies. Is something wrong with me? Or is it just that our precious furbabies love so unconditionally and are so devoted that humans can't ever compare? Thank you for posting Raine.
Jacob, Dachshund born 06
TukerKolta11

Reply with quote  #5 
Laura and Raine -

Thank you for sharing, and very sorry to hear about Baxter and Ladybug.  I read several articles that said it is quite normal to be more emotional over the loss of a pet than a human.  It is such a different relationship. When my Hubby's brother passed away unexpectedly, he cried some, but not nearly as much as the first few days after putting Tucker to sleep. We are at different stages of grieving now.  I think that is why I sought this place out. I'll be thinking about you both.
Lmthomas62

Reply with quote  #6 
Thank you for this reply. I know what you mean about everything coming on so suddenly. One day Baxter was his normal self and the next he totally stopped eating and drinking. This is day 5 of no eating or drinking and I'm bringing him back to the vet today for more IV fluids and vitamins and nausea meds to see if that helps any. I'm afraid, though, that this is the end for Baxter and I am still angry and heartbroken. It really helps, however, to know that others feel the same way and I am not alone. I am sorry, too, for your heartbreaking loss of Tucker. Always in our hearts...
Jacob, Dachshund born 06
Melk

Reply with quote  #7 
I just lost my only baby, Buster to Histiocytic sarcoma 2 days ago and I have never ever felt anything like this before. Like the feeling of not wanting to be on this earth without him.

A few of you are unsure deciding whether to bring your babies home or leave them at the vets on IV..
I didn’t know Buster was going to pass away as he was only diagnosed on Monday and they said he had 3-6 months, but let me tell you that if I knew it was going to happen I would have 100% bought him home. I wanted him to be home, feeling safe and comfortable and loved with me holding him in his last moments, so if you have that chance.. I would urge you to take it.
TukerKolta11

Reply with quote  #8 
Melk - I'm very sorry for your loss of Buster. Believe it or not, it does get better. The loss is always there but the ache in the heart does start to hurt a little less. I'm here if you need someone to talk to.

Sil

Reply with quote  #9 
TuckerKolta11, 

I am truly sorry for your loss.  I know the pain, the anger, the guilt, the what if's?, the empty hollow place in your heart.  After, I lost Sol (beloved male doggie), eleven months ago, I felt LOST, incomplete, my heart was beating, but my body did not feel alive.  Grief is a process...a painful process.  But, please, believe me, with time the pain becomes less sharp.  Hugs
Tankie12

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmthomas62
Yes, it's the absolute worst pain I've ever felt. I have NEVER felt this type or magnitude of pain even when a human family member dies. Is something wrong with me? Or is it just that our precious furbabies love so unconditionally and are so devoted that humans can't ever compare? Thank you for posting Raine.

It’s because humans, I don’t believe, are capable of unconditional love. That’s what we received everyday they were with us and our love for them knows no bounds. My 2 children( adults in their 40’s) went through many wonderful stages in their life as they grew up, some stages were pure “ugh” But our fur babies only have one stage, pure love for us. That loss is earth shaking, life shattering, the most powerful pain I’ve ever felt. If, God forbid, something happened to one of my children and the loss, the pain is worse than this I know I won’t make it.
The anger? I see a new crop in the fields and feel “how dare that grow when my baby died” Time has stood still for us, while it moves around us and it’s maddening because our world is just not right, not right at all. But at least we have “here” to express these things, we are not alone in grief

Reply with quote  #11 
I know what you mean about being angry. I feel cheated and angry that I only had 9 years with my dog. I expected a minimum of 12 since he was a 90lb Lab/Collie/Shepherd mix. Stats usually say 12-14 years. Why did I only get 9? He was so well cared for. He had tons of attention and excercise, joint supplements, quality food and regular vet checks. I put so much time into him since the day we brought him home as a tiny puppy. Why did this have to happen. I loved him more than I thought was possible. So I’m angry too... 20’days after my dogs sudden shocking death. I know it’s normal to feel this way. I know it’s been a few weeks since you posted so perhaps your in a better place now?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.