Forum

Author   Comment  
kcox1963

Reply with quote  #1 
We have to put Danny down today at 4:30pm EST..I am at work right now and it is really getting to me. He is old and blind now and got lost last night out on the farm and we know that he is miserable.  It is so hard to let go..he was our kids dog and now they are grown and moved away.  He has his sister Annie who is still in good health so we still have her. I don't know how she will be when he is gone. They actually never were close.  He was a working farm dog and she just stayed by the house.  He loved the farm and knew every inch of it.  That is why it is so sad to see him blind and sick now.
The vet is coming out to the farm to do it because I know Danny would like it that way to die on the farm. He was such a good, good dog. I told my adult kids and they are sad but they said that "Danny, always loved you most Mom" so I guess he has been my dog all along! This is really hard for me..another transition of life and my kids growing up and leaving all their pets and now they are leaving too!! Please pray for me today. This is so hard.  I am thankful you are here.  I need to talk about this.  I need support. Thank-you!
marnlars

Reply with quote  #2 
So many prayers being sent to you in this very difficult transition.
Pets are like children.  It is very sad when a pet is a part of major milestones in your life.  I feel like when our cat Jimmy died (on Fri June 11) it was the end of an era for us, the end of a chapter.  That cat saw us through the birth of 2 kids, welcoming a new kitten (petunia), and saying goodbye to an old friend (monkey-cat), first 10 years of marriage, and working through the grief of the loss of my husbands parents.
It is so hard.  
Can you leave work just to be with Danny today?  His pain will stop, and yours will start.... it's tough that way.
May you find comfort & strength in knowing that there are people here who share in the same feelings, emotions, and thoughts as you.  Use the chat room, it helps.  And talk, talk, talk about your dear Danny.  He had such a great life with you....
God Bless.
ladybugsmom

Reply with quote  #3 
I am so sorry about your Danny. it is hard to make the decision to let them go I just did the same thing 24 days ago on a Sundays. I am still break out in tears often. I will keep you in my prayers, Hope Lady Bug and Danny find each other.
Lots of hugs
Lady Bugs Mop

Monday October 24th 1994 - Sunday May 23rd 2010

I light this candle for Lady Bug, Cassy and and ALL the babies that have crossed over the Rainbow Bridge.

Visit Lady Bug at http://www.immortalpets.com/Lady_Bug_Stalter/About.aspx

"Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God."

Hugs to all
nicokudo

Reply with quote  #4 
Danny's mom,

We all know how hard it is to say good-bye.  I will be thinking about you and your precious boy. I am so glad that the vet will be coming out to the farm to help Danny on his journey.  That will bring peace to you and your special boy. 

Thinking of you both.  Come back when you can and tell us more about Danny. We all know the special bond that holds you to each other.

Karen, Kudo and Nico's mom
Earth mom to Marco and Bella

donnalee

Reply with quote  #5 
kcox, I will certainly pray for you at this difficult time.  It sounds like he had a wonderful life......how great to live on a farm and be with people who love you!  I hope you were able to spend some time with him this afternoon.  I'm sure losing his sight would be especially tough for a dog like Danny that is used to running all around the farm.  Once Danny has passed, he will be able to see and run and have a great time.  I truly believe we will be reunited with them again someday.   Everyone is here wants to support you.  Please come back and share about Danny.  There is something special about a working farm dog! 
kcox1963

Reply with quote  #6 
Thank-you so much for all of your kind words..I am tearing up here at the computer at work but I know it is all right.  After I posted on here yesterday I went to my boss and told her I had to go home.  I spent the afternoon with Danny..it was a beautiful day here in Kentucky with low humidity so we just sat on the porch and I brushed him, sang his favorite song.."Oh Danny Boy" (of course:)) and I gave him a roast beef sandwich..(his favorite) it was so nice.  I called all of the kids to let them know and it was really weird while I was talking to my oldest daughter, my son beeped in from Afghanistan where he is serving as a Navy Hospital Corpsman with the 1/6 Marines!! He NEVER calls at that time of day but he just "felt" he should call home!! Amazing!! I told them about Danny and they shared with me their memories of him as a puppy and how they use to bribe him with goodies when they came home past curfew as teenagers so he wouldn't bark and wake us..LOL they also said that "Danny, was always your dog, Mom.." My youngest daughter (at college) cried on the phone but she said he needed to be let go of his misery.
My hubby came home and then the vet came and I just held him out under our big tree in the front yard and his sister Annie came up and it was weird again but they sort of nuzzled each other and then Annie just walked off and my husband walked with her and I held Danny and the Vet came up behind him and gave him a shot to make him sleepy and Danny was just smiling didn't even flinch in my arms and he just let out this sigh like relief and when he was asleep. I laid him down on the grass and the vet then gave him a shot to stop his heart and in a few minutes we covered him with a quilt that my youngest daughter had made.  My husband dug the grave on a ridge that over looks the sunset where Danny use to sit and my husband carried him there wrapped in the quilt and we laid him in there and we found a flat limestone rock by the creek and I wrote his name on it...with the words "Danny-Faithful Friend" I picked some beautiful wildflowers and placed them there.  It was really beautiful.  I will miss him and I know we will see our other pets eventually go with Danny also someday to the rainbow bridge but it is soo hard. These precious creatures give us soo much in our life it is hard to lose them.  I appreciate you being here for me right now.  I feel so blessed to have this technology to be able to have support from other's who feel the way I do.  Even though we are "strangers" on a computer screen, know that in my heart you are dear angels sent to help me at this time!! Thank-you and May the Lord Bless each of you and your dear pets who are waiting now happily for us to return in their presence at the rainbow bridge.......
donnalee

Reply with quote  #7 
Oh, my goodness, kcox, now I'm crying at my computer!  That is the most beautiful description of any passing (human or animal) that I have ever read.  I have to tell you I think we'd all be at more peace if the experience of our loss could have happened in such a beautiful, natural way!  
I'm so happy you were able to leave work to spend the afternoon with him and that your grown children and husband were all involved in the experience.  It's as if Danny, his sister Annie, & your grown children all sensed it was time.   Even though we know our precious one is in a better place, it is still hard.  It is truly the loss of a close friend and loving companion who is always there for you.  I know you are going to miss him terribly in the coming days, weeks, and months but I'm so glad you know you'll see him again someday.  That gives us so much comfort as time goes by.  
Thank you, thank you for sharing the extraordinary details of that day with us.  I've got to stop reading it because it just makes tears spring to my eyes!  His life in this world ended with such dignity because of your love and the love of your family. 
Just a note...I lost my younger brother named Danny a few years back.    For the first couple of years, it seems that I'd hear the song 'Danny Boy' at the most interesting times.  I'd be thinking of him and wondering how he was and that song would come on the radio or play in the store.  I'm sure he sent it as a sign to let me know he was doing fine.  Now, your Danny has a good way to send you a sign as well!  God bless you and your family.
kcox1963

Reply with quote  #8 

Thank-you Donnalee for your nice post!! I feel so weird without Danny when we went home last night the farm just didn't feel the same without him.  I went on a walk with Annie but her personality is totally different then Danny, Danny was the one who worried for everyone, he was always go, go , go where Annie is slower and just happy to be here.  She isn't as needy for attention as Danny was.  I don't know if she is sad or misses him.  They came from the same litter and looked similar in coloring but they weren't together all the time and when Danny started getting blind and sick she would growl at him and I think she liked having some of the control that Danny always took.  I think she misses him but I am not sure.  We have always thought she was slower intellegence wise and joke about her maybe being a "special" doggie because she is just happy all the time and doesn't seem to be as aware as Danny was if you know what I mean.  I just never had the bond with her that I had with Danny.  I gave her extra love today as I left for work and she seems fine.  It is just so strange without him.  It will take awhile to grieve. Thanks for reading my post's..I appreciate it!! :) Keep me in your prayers, please..I need it! Take Care..

donnalee

Reply with quote  #9 
Yes, their absence during walks and ALL of the little daily routine things just seems to hit you constantly.  I think that is why it is felt so strongly when we lose them.  They are such a big part of our everyday life.   It's not even like when you lose a relative that you see once in a while.  Everything you do reminds you of them....and the funny little things they did.   The first few weeks or so are tough and there is no way around it. 
Scottie and I used to walk everyday on a beautiful trail by our neighborhood, rain or shine.  That boy loved his walks...he never let me get by with skipping a day.   He may not have spoken English but he definitely communicated very well with body language!   I knew I was not going to have a very peaceful evening if we didn't go on that walk.   I wanted to keep up the daily walking after I lost him, but, I couldn't do it for a while.  There were just too many memories.   Now, I'm walking most days and doing a lot better.   
Of course, I still get nostalgic and sentimental, sometimes.   
I imagine you aren't ready for this yet, but I wanted to mention the title of a book that has helped me a lot.  It is "Cold Noses at the Pearly Gates".  I ordered it used from amazon.com about 4 weeks after Scottie passed and it is a wonderful book, in my opinion.  I'm slow to recommend books to people on the forum because everyone has different beliefs and I don't want to offend anyone, but, my feeling is that you might like it so I just thought I mention it.   
I will most certainly keep you in my prayers.  Please know that we are all here for you as you go through your grief.  I don't think we ever stop missing them but each week gets a little easier as time goes by.       
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.