djpool
Just got the worst news ever. Our little boy has been having health problems the last month or so. At first it looked like Hyperthyroidism but today we did a ultrasound and it showed cancer in the lymph nodes, kidney and intestines. Of course the options are biopsy the cancers and expose the little guy to chemo etc, which we just can't do to the little guy. So we've resigned ourselves to loving him and caring for him for as long as God allows us to be with him. The vets looking at a few weeks. But how do we know when its time to let go? Its so hard. The vet has agreed to euthanize him here at home if we can plan for it. If not we'll take him to an emergency hospital.

I know we're not alone in our pain, but that doesn't really help much. Both my in laws and my mom both lost their beloved dogs in the last few months. I know I'm rampling, just having a hard time keeping it together.

The pain is crushing. I know its hard to lose a pet but we are  so happy to have had him in our life for the last 13 years. Hes not gone yet but its getting close. I hope we do right by him.

Jim and Deb

IMG_0005.JPG
Quote 0 0
GrievingHannah
Jim and Deb,

Hannah was euthanized in her own bed in her own home.  It was the toughest decision I've ever made, but my wife and I took great solace in that Hannah died in familiar surroundings with her parents stoking her and talking to her.

I don't think we would have handled the vet hospital very well. But that's just the way we are. 

I am so sorry you are going through this.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Lee (Mack's and Hannah's and Heidi's and Janie's dad)

Fragile Circle

"We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached.
Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way.
We cherish memory as the only certain immortality,
never fully understanding the necessary plan."

Quote 0 0
djpool
Lee,

Thank you for the words of encouragement. Even though my world is crashing down on my now, its nice to know your not alone. Jim and Deb

Quote 0 0
spiritdog
Take videos or pictures of him now, doing "his thing", playing, meowing, etc. All the things you love about him. It will help you later. Gentle hugs to the 3 of you.
"People disappoint, dogs never do" - spiritdog

"You MUST be your pets ADVOCATE, if it doesn't feel right walk away." - spiritdog
Quote 0 0
patent123
Knowing when its time is one of the most hardest decisions ANYONE with a pet has to make.  I still struggle with my decision to do so.  In the days leading up I knew my dog wasn't happy.  I knew her injury was taking its toll on her and watching her look at me the way she did and go through everything killed me inside.  We had a 50/50 chance of her pulling through within 3 days after that we were told it was incredibly unlikely.  I wanted to keep her with me for as long as I could 3 days didn't seem long enough.  I like yourself wasn't ready to accept a life with out my long time companion by my side.  Part of me wished I had more time to make her last days special and meaningful.  Unfortunately her last days were spent on her bed unable to move.  

You have to trust that your boy will let you know when he is ready.  My dog after a very hard night leaned into my and sighed.  In that moment I knew she wasn't happy and I was miserable for her.  I knew deep down I needed to say goodbye as HORRIBLE as that was.  Go with your gut on this...if your cat seems in good spirits and not suffering let him enjoy his days with his family.  If things start to decline and he is no longer happy then you should think about your options.  

Times like these are so hard.  I wish I would have done many things before saying good bye.  I wish I would have gotten our annual family photo taken in time, given her an extra big hug, sat out in the yard in her favorite spot, or maybe even gotten a mold of her paw print made.  Maybe you can make some special memories with him.  Spirit dog is right though having the special moments now will help later...I wish I had been able to do the same.

I will be thinking of you all.  
Quote 0 0
GrievingHannah
patent123 wrote:
Knowing when its time is one of the most hardest decisions ANYONE with a pet has to make.  I still struggle with my decision to do so.  In the days leading up I knew my dog wasn't happy.  I knew her injury was taking its toll on her and watching her look at me the way she did and go through everything killed me inside.  We had a 50/50 chance of her pulling through within 3 days after that we were told it was incredibly unlikely.  I wanted to keep her with me for as long as I could 3 days didn't seem long enough.  I like yourself wasn't ready to accept a life with out my long time companion by my side.  Part of me wished I had more time to make her last days special and meaningful.  Unfortunately her last days were spent on her bed unable to move.  

You have to trust that your boy will let you know when he is ready.  My dog after a very hard night leaned into my and sighed.  In that moment I knew she wasn't happy and I was miserable for her.  I knew deep down I needed to say goodbye as HORRIBLE as that was.  Go with your gut on this...if your cat seems in good spirits and not suffering let him enjoy his days with his family.  If things start to decline and he is no longer happy then you should think about your options.  

Times like these are so hard.  I wish I would have done many things before saying good bye.  I wish I would have gotten our annual family photo taken in time, given her an extra big hug, sat out in the yard in her favorite spot, or maybe even gotten a mold of her paw print made.  Maybe you can make some special memories with him.  Spirit dog is right though having the special moments now will help later...I wish I had been able to do the same.

I will be thinking of you all.  

During the early morning on the day we euthanized Hannah, I remember doubting that we were doing the right thing.  She wouldn't eat, and she had non-stop diarrhea. She had also started to vomit.  The vet was scheduled to arrive at 11 AM.  Just before the vets arrival, I leaned down with a bowl of fresh water and Hannah took a few licks.  Within twenty seconds, she through up her water.  At that point, I knew it was time.  Man, it just hurts to think about that morning.
Lee (Mack's and Hannah's and Heidi's and Janie's dad)

Fragile Circle

"We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached.
Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way.
We cherish memory as the only certain immortality,
never fully understanding the necessary plan."

Quote 0 0