poppyfox
Hello.

My wee 13 yr old yorkie Poppy was so energetic until September.
When I noticed her back legs were becoming wobbly, I took her to the vet ,expecting to be told she has arthritis but a basic blood test showed her liver reading was so bad it was off the radar. I was warned it could be cancer. The agonising 24 hour wait was torture.The results showed Cushings Disease. Sadly the highly toxic, miracle drug vetrol did not agree with Poppy and nearly killed her so tried a more holistic approach. She had the pituitary gland cushings.

In 6 months she could barely walk but still loved her life, adapting to being carried and special diet.

Poppy was my soulmate and daughter rolled in to one, she was my life now since feb 5 that life is bleak, cold, lonely- just horrendous without her.

Please share any Cushings experiences.

Many Thanks.
Quote 0 0
KellyC
Hi,
I'm very sorry for your loss. We had to make the dreadful decision to put our almost 13 yr old mixed lab Ronnie to rest on December 27th 2016. He was diagnosed with Cushings in August of 2016. He had similar mobility problems in his legs and muscle mass loss in his back legs. Veterol and novox worked for a while, but he went into respiratory distress on 2 separate occasions. First time we were able to save him with meds but 2nd time he had others issues too and was suffering badly. Vet was fairly certain he had lymphoma on top of the cushings.

Cushings stinks and it was horrible watching my baby's body deteriorate and there was nothing I could do. I still think about him every day, but the intense pain is not as bad. He was my child and I'll miss him every single day, but it does get better a little each day.

I'm sorry for rambling; I'm so sorry for your loss. How was your baby's last days? It's difficult to get them out of our heads I know. I try and focus on the good when i start to fixate on that last day.

Take care and hugs,
Kelly
Quote 0 0
Kapbow
My little Chihuahua Bud also had liver problems and ended up with Cushings disease from using steroid medications. Luckily we were able to reverse most of the weakness the disease caused after stopping his steroid treatment. He was never able to jump after that and his hind legs remained a little weak. With mostly holistic means we were able to heal his liver somewhat and he went on to live to the ripe old age of almost 18. Sadly though I just had to make the decision to have him put to sleep on 3/10/17 from congestive heart failure. I am devastated and my heart feels crushed. I am so sorry for your loss and send you hugs and prayers to help you through this terrible time. Hopefully we will all find a way through this agonizing pain.
Kathy
Mommy to Chloe, Bud, and Clyde. Clyde passed away in 1996. Chloe passed away in 2013 at the age of 16. Bud passed away 3/10/17 at the age of almost 18. My heart is crushed and I don't know if I'll survive the pain. They will be forever in my heart! ❤️
Quote 0 0
poppyfox
Hi Kelly, Thanks for sharing and sadly we share the same 6 months outcome. It must have been a huge challenge physically with Ronnie being a larger dog than a yorkie. A godsend for me was the fact my wee lass died naturally in bed with me at 4am. I was prepared as her breath was cold yet a warm body she had cold legs. She had bad runs and the vet wanted to end it there and then but 1 day before she was playing on the grass. Her eyes were bright so i took her home. I bet you can't comprehend summer without Ronnie. I am dreading it. Also all your memories included Ronnie over so many years. At least you tried everything.
Quote 0 0
poppyfox
Kelly you are not rambling it helps to hear about your path with Ronnie so thanks for sharing
Quote 0 0
poppyfox
Kapbow wrote:
My little Chihuahua Bud also had liver problems and ended up with Cushings disease from using steroid medications. Luckily we were able to reverse most of the weakness the disease caused after stopping his steroid treatment. He was never able to jump after that and his hind legs remained a little weak. With mostly holistic means we were able to heal his liver somewhat and he went on to live to the ripe old age of almost 18. Sadly though I just had to make the decision to have him put to sleep on 3/10/17 from congestive heart failure. I am devastated and my heart feels crushed. I am so sorry for your loss and send you hugs and prayers to help you through this terrible time. Hopefully we will all find a way through this agonizing pain.
Kathy
Quote 0 0
poppyfox
Dear Kathy,

Thanks for taking the time to write. Did wee Bud use milk thistle or the chinese herb? For a while i thought it was working. How blessed you were to have Bud until 18. I am still in shock at losing Poppy so young but the lifespan does not stop this severe pain and longing you will have for Bud. Hope you keep strong with glimmers of light. Its still too raw as only a few wks.
Quote 0 0
spiritdog
My Sidekick had Cushings for 3 years. It also made him diabetic, which made him blind. He had eye surgery so he could see again. I found Lysodren worked very well for him. In the end it was the stress of me having to leave (my parents died out of state) that drove the Cushings into over drive. He had no reserve left. He lasted another 8 months, and one night when I took him to emergency, he trucked on down the hall, I picked him up, sat down, and he died right there in my arms. He didn't want to leave, I know that.........but he did really well for 3 years with the right drug. He was my "happy" my Wonderdog.....a very special spirit.
"People disappoint, dogs never do" - spiritdog

"You MUST be your pets ADVOCATE, if it doesn't feel right walk away." - spiritdog
Quote 0 0
KellyC
Poppyfox,
Thank you for your kind words regarding my big dog Ronnie. Summer will be super tough for sure. He loved being outside with us, going to the park, car rides, camping, you name it, he did it with us! You were blessed to have your doggie pass on his own; I wished and prayed for that but things got too bad for Ronnie. He is free of pain and suffering now but will forever be missed.
Quote 0 0
Kapbow
poppyfox wrote:
Dear Kathy,

Thanks for taking the time to write. Did wee Bud use milk thistle or the chinese herb? For a while i thought it was working. How blessed you were to have Bud until 18. I am still in shock at losing Poppy so young but the lifespan does not stop this severe pain and longing you will have for Bud. Hope you keep strong with glimmers of light. Its still too raw as only a few wks.

Poppyfox,
We did use milk thistle for a Bud along with vitamin E capsules, Sam-e and other natural liver detoxifiers that escape me at the moment. We also used lactulose which was a med that is used on humans with liver problems. Anything that helps humans with liver disease we tried on Bud. I was told when he was about 9 that he probably only had months to live because his liver enzyme levels were so high. I am so thankful to have had the extra 9 years with him! And thankful I got to have him for almost 18 years (he would have turned 18 on 4/24/17), but the pain I feel now is so heart crushing. I feel like I can't breath and don't know if I'll ever get over this terrible agonizing pain. Our little fur-babies sure leave a huge mark on our lives, and they leave an even bigger void when we lose them. I pray one day I will see Bud and his sister Chloe again. It's the only thing that is holding me together right now. Sending you support during your difficult time and loving thoughts for your baby Poppy. Take care!
Kathy
Mommy to Chloe, Bud, and Clyde. Clyde passed away in 1996. Chloe passed away in 2013 at the age of 16. Bud passed away 3/10/17 at the age of almost 18. My heart is crushed and I don't know if I'll survive the pain. They will be forever in my heart! ❤️
Quote 0 0
poppyfox
Hi Kathy,

I know 100% how you feel. Life will never be the same again. Obviously when mum died suddenly over 3 yrs ago the pain was immense but i had my wee lassie to comfort me and most of all a reason to plough through the dark days. Now new terrority. I can honestly say this is the first time in 45 yrs I have been lost and lonely. All my friends think have holidays. Do the things you couldn't do when Poppy was here. I went to Malta and all i could do was think how much she would have loved the sandy beaches. Time I guess for us all. We learn to live with the pain but its just unbareable. The longing. Lookibg at the grass and shes not on it. Summer at the beach without her. Not there in bef..Our past 13 to 18yrs have included our wee dogs. Hope a bit of peace at times this week for you.
Quote 0 0
poppyfox
spiritdog wrote:
My Sidekick had Cushings for 3 years. It also made him diabetic, which made him blind. He had eye surgery so he could see again. I found Lysodren worked very well for him. In the end it was the stress of me having to leave (my parents died out of state) that drove the Cushings into over drive. He had no reserve left. He lasted another 8 months, and one night when I took him to emergency, he trucked on down the hall, I picked him up, sat down, and he died right there in my arms. He didn't want to leave, I know that.........but he did really well for 3 years with the right drug. He was my "happy" my Wonderdog.....a very special spirit.
Quote 0 0
poppyfox
spiritdog wrote:
Quote 0 0