I just found out my sweet Star might have had leptospirosis but I have no way of knowing. My heart was already breaking at the thought of putting down my sweet Star on October 1. But this article just came through from channel 7 speaking of a rare disease starting to become more common in the area I live. It seems like I probably could’ve saved her. She wasn’t jaundice but her symptoms showed renal failure and her vet did a quality of life check and based on everything he saw he didn’t think she should live like this. My heart is breaking even more because I believe she could have been saved had we known to look for this disease. Now I’m spiraling with guilt that I didn’t have before because I thought we were doing the right thing. I miss her so much and now I feel like I lost her way too soon! She literally had energy and spunk just weeks before.
Quote 1 0
Tankie12
I’m so sorry Candace. I wish you never had to one here , I wish Starr was with you now, physically. I say that because I believe they are with us in ways we don’t understand.
I haven’t heard about the illness/disease that’s mimicking Lepto- Have you asked your Vet about it? There may have been clear markers that distinguish them. You didn’t mention Stars age or how he was acting but if you brought him in and I have to believe you felt it was the right thing to do for him. That’s the hardest part, doing what you know will bring your world crashing down because you love them so much you’ll hurt for them.
This is a good place to be you are surrounded by others who have or are going through the same epic loss. They are our furdaughters and sons and the pain is no less, hugs,,,,,
Lynn, Tankie’s mom, forever
Quote 1 0
Thank you so much for your kind lost Tankie’s mom!! I will edit my post and put her age in there. She was 15 and I just saw the article come out tonight and it devastated me when I saw the symptoms because if that’s what she had, we may have been able to save her and that part is literally breaking my heart. That girl was my world and these past two weeks have been such a roller coaster and all I can do is wonder if I should have tried more to see if she would pull through. They said she was in renal failure but didn’t know what stage. It all happened so quickly. I can tell you, Rainbow Bridge has been a life line for me these past couple of weeks. Tonight just hit me so hard because I didn’t feel guilt before I saw that article. I felt so sure it was the right decision for her since she wasn’t eating and she wasn’t interested in anything for about five days and the vet said she was suffering. The article said that of detected in time the could be treated with antibiotics. She was on antibiotics for a UTI but they probably needs a specific antibiotic for this disease. 🐾💔
Quote 1 0
CarolineMc
You did everything you could. You did not want her to suffer. You did the right thing. My Dixie was miserable for two weeks, trying to eat, losing weight, red blood cells being attacked by her autoimmune system due to infection, possible by a mosquito. 

They are always so full of life before the terrible things happen. Just keep in mind to remember all the good times, the special moments, for all the memories help. Just keep hanging in there.
Caroline McClain
Quote 0 0
Thank you Caroline, I just read how your sweet Dixie had dementia - so did my Star and in the end she wouldn’t take her pills so it was getting worse. I’m so sorry about Ms Dixie. Thank you so much for your encouragement!
Quote 0 0