My_beloved_Chester

My Chester passed away on June 21st 2 months before his 7th birthday. He was a Standard Schnauzer which I thought would be my companion for at least 14 years  To say I’m heartbroken and devastated is an understatement. From the moment he came into our family he never left my side, followed me everywhere. Would wait outside the bathroom, if I got up to walk to the kitchen he would jump up and follow me, our bond was like nothing I can begin to describe without sounding somewhat crazy.  He was such a beautiful soul never a day of bother brought joy to everyone he met, nobody could say his name without saying “he’s such a sweetheart “ I feel like we have both been robbed, he didn’t want to die he fought so hard. He was diagnosed with IMT about 3 years ago which I believe was brought on by a vaccination. In the following 3 years he had about 3 “episodes” where his platelet count would severely drop and he would need a steroid and he would be right as rain. This time however something was different. 10 days before just after being groomed I noticed some bruising on his abdomen and I thought it may have been from his grooming visit. I kept checking him and he had a few more appear so I took him to the emergency hospital. They gave him the same course of steroids and told me he had slight bleeding in his gums. he seemed to pick up a little but these steroids take it out of him. Then I didn’t like his energy level so I took back to the hospital that was on the Tuesday. They gave him a blood transfusion and started him on immune suppressants but they told me he had internal bleeding. What made it worse was due to Covid we were not allowed to visit. Knowing how close my Chester and I are I knew he would be depressed and stressed by not seeing us and not knowing what was going on. They told me he wouldn’t eat etc. On the Wednesday night I insisted I have to see him I took him food and water and he ate and drank everything even the bag of treats I intended to leave there for him, so naturally I felt hopeful by this. Anyway I won’t go into all the details but 4 blood transfusions and immune suppressants could not save him and the vet told us we had to make a decision as the bills we piling up and nothing seemed be pulling him through. I never thought it would come to him leaving us. I was prepared to sell everything I owned to save him because he meant so much to me. The loss I’m feeling is so painful I’ve cried everyday for a month. everyday he would make me laugh 😊 I had the strongest possible love for him and to him nothing else mattered just me. This is the worst sense of loss I’ve every felt I don’t think I will ever get over losing my soulmate 💔

Anna x x 
Quote 0 0
Jan_H
Anna,

I am very sorry for your loss of your sweet Schnauzer, Chester. An animal can touch our hearts in ways that others do not. They give us unconditional love and support. Sometimes we are blessed with a spirit animal, a soulmate like your Chester. And when they leave us it is devastating and  heartbreaking.

I hope in time memories of Chester can bring you a little smile instead of tears.

My condolences,
Jan
Quote 1 0
BarbOscar13
I'm sorry for your loss and the pain you are going through, I hope time gives you some healing and just like your brave Chester,  fight! Fight out of depression, fight so one day you will remember him with a smile on your face!, his spirit is  watching you and doesn't want to see a sad mom, is easier said than done,  I know!,  I'm going through my own pain after losing my oscar/dog/13 yrs, but just like your Chester he was a real trooper and they taught us, to never give up!
Hugs ❤❤❤
Quote 1 0
lunalovegood222
Something that has brought me peace with my own dog's passing (I hope it will also bring you peace) is that a dog's body will start to decline when it is their time to go. For one reason or another, your dog was called to be in dog heaven. It was his time to move on, and that is not your fault. Nothing you could have done would have prevented that. However, have peace in knowing that your dog is very much energetically alive. He is not in his body anymore, but he is still existing in the universe, and someday I believe you will see him again. I really do think that our dog's spirits can sense what we feel and say on earth, even when we can't see them. Sometimes, I like to send positive thoughts to my dog and let him know how much I love him. That has given me a lot of comfort and peace. I like to think of my dog as being my little angel, always with me, just in a different form. Considering the strong bond between you and Chester, I imagine that Chester is still with you right now. I am sure he has been by your side throughout your grief, and he will never leave you <3 
Quote 2 0
P_Mom
Chester sounds like a real love.  So very sorry for the loss of your beautiful boy and at 7. 💔 100 isn't long enough but 7 is just not fair.  My boy had the same temperament - I know exactly what you mean - the bond runs deeper than any well - doesn't sound crazy!    I suspect my boys heart condition was brought on by vaccines - had 2 separate incidents.  I've always been suspicious of booster vaccines, but now in the camp of over vaccination is real.  We understand your pain here.  Sending you comfort and big hugs.   
Jennifer
Quote 1 0
miasara
I am so very sorry for your loss. I feel the same about my beloved pup. She was only 3 and died 5 months ago. We had a deep love and connection. I agree with lunaluvgood above. My pup was ill for several months but she drastically declined the last few weeks. She stopped eating and showed no interest in toys or anything. She started to be by herself far from those she loved. I’m still grieving for her. Like lunaluvgood- I am starting to think of her as my little angel. I still talk to her all the time. I like to think her spirit is near me. It may sound kooky but it helps me. It’s hard, I know, so take good cate if yourself and think of the wonderful memories. 
mia sara
Quote 1 0
My_beloved_Chester
Thank you all for your kind compassionate words, knowing people know how you are feeling brings a sense of comfort you are not alone in your darkest hours of grief. 
Anna x x 
Quote 1 0
Pecan_mom
I’m so sorry for your loss.  My beloved dog Pecan passed away unexpectedly 4 months ago.  She was only 9 and like you I thought she would live much longer.  She was my soulmate, my best friend, my therapist, my confidant and we were together 24/7.  I miss her sweet face and her kind eyes.  She was happy and healthy even on that day.  She wasn’t herself around 6:30pm and passed away at 4am the next day and as soon as we rushed her to emergency.  We don’t know the cause either.  They said heart attack, aneurysm or stroke possibly cancer.  My heart is broken and I feel so guilty for her death.  She was my best friend and I feel like I let her down.  I know how you feel.  Please be kind to yourself and give yourself time to grieve.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Sp
Quote 1 0
twodogmom
Anna,

Please accept my condolences on the loss of your beloved Chester. Obviously, his sickness and hospitalization brought lots of unexpected stress and anguish into your life, and then not having him pull through, I know, is heartbreaking.

We adopted two senior dogs at separate times and within two years of adopting them, both developed serious, life-threatening diseases. My husband and I also spent lots and lots of money on vets, surgeries, medications, chemotherapy; treatments and procedures that many people would not have been able to afford. I'm sure the medical therapies extended their lives but not for that long. Ultimately even modern medicine reaches a place where only extreme, invasive, and possibly painful procedures remain, to extend life. For both of my babies, we reached that point and now our babies are gone.

My hope for you is that you are able to reach peace with the way Chester's life ended. I think any of us who lose someone we love would sell anything we own to get them back, and that proves the level of love we have for them. Chester knew you loved him and he will always be with you.

Jan
Quote 1 0
ChantillyCat
Anna, I'm so sorry for your loss of Chester. We are never ready to lose the ones we love. And you do not sound crazy at all. Many of us on this forum share a similar bond to our fur babies too. I lost my soul kitty just over 3 weeks ago so I understand your pain. The bond is real which makes the pain real. And absolutely heartbreaking. I'm sure Chester knows you loved him very much and I believe he's very much with you in spirit. Talking about him and remembering him honors his life and his memory. Sending you healing light <3
Quote 1 0
My_beloved_Chester
Thank you ❤️
Anna x x 
Quote 0 0