Forum

Author   Comment  
Lannistergirl

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi all, I am just so devastated. Two days ago I was forced to make the choice to euthanize my 11 month old baby girl Momo. I don't know how to process this at all and would love some support from fellow pet lovers.

About six weeks ago Momo became lethargic, had lost a significant about of weight (normally she was a big chonky girl) and I noticed some blood in her litter and we took her to the vet. Mome was a fiesty girl and wouldn't give up a urine sample so we went home with some Catrine to try and get a sample at home - to no success after hours and hours. She was given antibiotics to treat a UTI and was back to her normal self in a few days.

Just a few weeks later she started experiencing similar symptoms- minus the blood- the vet thought it could be a recurrent UTI so administered ten days of antibiotics and off we went. An attempt at a blood test and urine sample was made, however being her normal self, this wouldn't be possible without sedation, so we were given gabapentin to use before bringing her in next. After day five I noticed Momo had only seemed to be getting worse and took her in to the vet. Unfortunately she wasn't gabapentin-ed enough to draw bloods so we returned the next day, the vet noted she was showing signs of jaundice. Her bloods indicated a significant issue with liver function, in line with her jaundice symptoms so we were advised to book an ultrasound. Unfortunately this was on a Friday and the imaging company opened on Monday. This ultrasound would have been yesterday.

Mome continued to decline on Saturday and on Sunday I made the call to visit the emergency vet as she was eating and drinking up to this point. The vet advised after checking her bloods against those on friday that she had declined rapidly, was severely jaundiced under her black fur, extremely dehydrated (I had been syringe feeding her water but not enough). Mome was going to be a $5000+ cat, with not a great prognosis even with treatment. She would have been in and out of treatment, fully tubed up for weeks, maybe months - and likely wouldn't live for too much longer after given that her liver was so incredibly damaged.

I made the call to humanely euthanize her and told her how loved she was in the moments before her passing. She was so weak that the initial sedation before lethal injection caused her breathing to stop and for her to cross the rainbow bridge. I sat with her for about thirty minutes after and then parted ways - to head home to her brother.

It's taken two days for Albert to start showing signs of concern, J noticed him sniffing and searching for mome when I got back from work today and he was meowing (very unusual, he is normally silent).

I am wracked with feelings of guilt, helplessness and despair, and didn't manage to sleep at all the past two nights. I miss my baby girl so, so much and don't know if I will ever recover from this.

How do I move forward? How do I move on?

Attached Images
jpeg received_1954285051315473.jpeg (162.40 KB, 2 views)
jpeg received_2306822019557589.jpeg (174.15 KB, 2 views)
jpeg received_2502798426397512.jpeg (220.82 KB, 3 views)
jpeg received_2365854650324286.jpeg (76.33 KB, 2 views)
jpeg IMG_20190831_170928.jpg (376.71 KB, 3 views)

Jasmines_Mom

Reply with quote  #2 
I'm so sorry for the loss of your beautiful Momo.  Making that decision is heartbreaking but we just have to remember that we make the choice out of love because we don't want our babies to suffer.  There are no words I can say that will make you feel better.  The grieving process is extremely difficult and although every person on this earth will experience it, it is different for everyone.  The only advice I can give you is to feel your feelings and don't try to push them down or ignore them.  This will only prolong the process.  Don't pay attention to people who try to tell you how you should or shouldn't feel or what you should or shouldn't do.  Cry as much as you need to.  Take care of yourself and Albert.  He will need you as he tries to adjust to this new normal.

Take it moment by moment and be gentle with yourself.  Momo knew how much you loved her.

Reply with quote  #3 
I am so sorry for your loss. Losing our furbaby is the hardest thing to go through with. Just know we are here for you. It sounds like you gave her the best care that she could ever receive. I too feel the quilt as I loss my 19 year old kitty 6 days ago. That is the normal grieving process and you made the right decision for her. Like you said, going thru all that treatment would of put unnecessary pain on her.
I wish i had the answer as to how we will get through this because I don't know. But what I do know is they got lots of love while they were here and they loved us as well.
My 18 years old is missibg her partner in crime as well and it breaks my heart too. What we can do is give them the extra love.
I encourage you to keep writing your feelings here because that is what has helped me so far. There are alot of loving non-judmental people here that is here to help you with the process as you are going to help them.
I am so sorry for your loss. Hugs x
Olliexxx

Reply with quote  #4 
So so sorry for your loss..
I too had to make that decision to let my beautiful baby boy go 6 days ago..it was the hardest call to make and im hoping he forgives me..he was only 5yrs old..💙
You did everything possible for your kitten..
You loved her like no other and she knows that..
Grieve however you choose too and it wont be easy but we can all help each other at these times..
Take care of Albert and yourself
Big hugs x
Lannistergirl

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmines_Mom
I'm so sorry for the loss of your beautiful Momo.  Making that decision is heartbreaking but we just have to remember that we make the choice out of love because we don't want our babies to suffer.  There are no words I can say that will make you feel better.  The grieving process is extremely difficult and although every person on this earth will experience it, it is different for everyone.  The only advice I can give you is to feel your feelings and don't try to push them down or ignore them.  This will only prolong the process.  Don't pay attention to people who try to tell you how you should or shouldn't feel or what you should or shouldn't do.  Cry as much as you need to.  Take care of yourself and Albert.  He will need you as he tries to adjust to this new normal.

Take it moment by moment and be gentle with yourself.  Momo knew how much you loved her.

Thank you so much ♥️
Lannistergirl

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky1990
I am so sorry for your loss. Losing our furbaby is the hardest thing to go through with. Just know we are here for you. It sounds like you gave her the best care that she could ever receive. I too feel the quilt as I loss my 19 year old kitty 6 days ago. That is the normal grieving process and you made the right decision for her. Like you said, going thru all that treatment would of put unnecessary pain on her.
I wish i had the answer as to how we will get through this because I don't know. But what I do know is they got lots of love while they were here and they loved us as well.
My 18 years old is missibg her partner in crime as well and it breaks my heart too. What we can do is give them the extra love.
I encourage you to keep writing your feelings here because that is what has helped me so far. There are alot of loving non-judmental people here that is here to help you with the process as you are going to help them.
I am so sorry for your loss. Hugs x

Thanks Becky ♥️
Lannistergirl

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olliexxx
So so sorry for your loss..
I too had to make that decision to let my beautiful baby boy go 6 days ago..it was the hardest call to make and im hoping he forgives me..he was only 5yrs old..💙
You did everything possible for your kitten..
You loved her like no other and she knows that..
Grieve however you choose too and it wont be easy but we can all help each other at these times..
Take care of Albert and yourself
Big hugs x

Thank you ♥️ xxxx
Pagmem

Reply with quote  #8 
Your Momo reminds me so much of my Puck when he was a kitten. I lost him about 3 months ago, and then my beloved dog Max last month. Puck and Max were my best friends and confidants, and so much more. I miss them both so much. I feel especially guilty about Puck because I waited too long. I finally got a vet to come to the house to put him down, and went to work until the appointment time, but Puck died when I was on my way home. I wasn’t even with him. I know he knew and knows that I loved him, but I feel very bad about it. And with Max, even though we knew we had to put him down because he was suffering, it’s a hard decision to end someone’s life, even if it’s the right decision.

It sounds to me like you did everything you could have done, but it’s just never enough is it?The only thing that would be enough is if they were back with us, healthy, happy and safe. The ironic part is that they are all those things - they’re just not with us anymore.. And that hurts. Be gentle and patient with yourself. I’m sending hugs.

Melissa

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.