Cuolahan
I lost my best friend Grailyn this past Wednesday. It was a very tragic accident. My mother in law hit her as she was leaving my house. My sweet girl had severely injured her pelvis. She was 9 with arthritis and we didn’t think surgery could give her the quality of life she once had. It forced us to make the most difficult decision to put her down. I struggle with if I made the right choice and I’m so angry that my mother in law robbed me of my last few years with Grailyn. I knew she wasn’t going to last forever and I was cherishing my moments I had with her. I never imagined they would be taken away so soon.

I don’t know if I’ll ever get over the anger I have for my mother in law. I question if she was paying attention, why she wasn’t more cautious. She put my girl in so much pain and made me make the hardest decision of my life. Will I ever be able to forgive her? Will I ever be able to be around her without feeling so much anger. Has anyone else been able to get over the anger they feel?

It was also so difficult for me to put so much trust in the Vets and the prognosis they gave us. Would my girl have been different. She was a fighter. Could she have recovered from this? It all happened so quickly and it’s so hard to know if you made the right choice.

I miss Grailyn so much and I don’t know if I’ll have find another dog like her. She was one of a kind. She stole everyone’s heart.
Quote 0 0
MegP
I can’t begin to imagine your anger and desperacy abt your mother in law and that one moment and how it could have gone any other way.

I can say im in a similar situation w making THE call. Everything I’ve read online says you have time to weigh pros and cons, say goodbyes, weigh out the number of good vs bad days. Friends told me “you’ll know when it’s time”. This has caused me more distress bc no one is talking abt when you don’t have that info or certainty and you’re gambling w a guess. I didn’t peace or clarity or certainty, it doesn’t sound like you had any of that either. We’re told not to be selfish by keeping our pets too long and I fully agree w that but knowing for sure is damn near impossible, esp in our situations. What if you had taken the chance and she came out worse, you’d regret it. What if you put her down and she could have more time. We both just made the choice to play it safe and give them peace instead of taking the risk. Bc the option of taking that risk feels like it’s more for us and we’re trying to do what’s best for our pets. I’ve been battling guilt, anxiety regret for the last 14 hours since I made the decision. I had inconsistent vet advice and wanted so badly to take the chance to let mine fight but the idea of putting him through the fight when maybe it could have been too much felt more unfair. I guess in typing this I’m concluding that if I couldn’t own the choice that I might have tortured him further then I couldn’t even consider it as an option. So I guess that’s why it’s the better choice?

I’m so sorry for you and your little one. Hopefully we both get to that place where we remember and think of the good times
Quote 0 0
Cuolahan
Thank you for your response. This has been a huge help. You were so right in that we both knew that taking the risk and it turning out for the worst would have left us with so much pain and guilt also. Then where would we have been. As hard as it was for us to make the choice to give them peace and comfort in the end it was what was best all around. I do remember when having to make the decision I felt some comfort knowing that I wouldn’t be putting my girl through an extensive surgery and recovery.

Would you like to share more about your pet?

I got on this forum cuz I figured it would help talking with others that have gone through the same situation. I’m so glad I did because it’s comforting to know about others going through the same things.
Quote 0 0
Mybeautifulboy
Grailyn is absolutely precious and I am sorry for your loss. I am sure that it was just a terrible accident and your mother in law is probably just as devastated as you are. If it is possible I would try to take some time apart from your mother in law so that nothing is said out of anger. I am sure that you would not want this tragic event to be something that caused a strain in your relationship.

My condolences. RIP Grailyn
Quote 0 0
MegP
I wake up in a panic, I’ve lost my little boy, did I do the right thing, why did it have to end that way - stressful, scary, painful. There was no moment of peace, we were in a scary, unfamiliar place to him. We were w him but I was horrified abt the decision I was making and an anxious tearful mess. I didn’t deliver the endingthat he deserved and it makes me so anxious I’m crawling out of my skin bc it’s too late now
Quote 0 0
Flinny
I am so sorry this had to happen to you. We lost our toy poodle to a tragic accident 1 week ago today. It is so surreal in the most horrible way. Anger, Guilt, panic. It's all still there. I want to get another dog so badly to fill the void, but other family members are against it. 
Heart breaking....
Flinny
Quote 0 0
Cuolahan
So sorry of your loss. Tragic losses are the worst. The fact they happen so quickly makes it more difficult for your thoughts to wonder. I have some good moments and a lot of bad moments still. Just trying to find my new normal.

I also wanted another fur baby to fill the void but I know it’s to soon. I am going to wait a few months and heal a little more before taking the plunge. We lost another dog 5 years ago this month and we instantly got another. It helped a lot. Having the puppy stage back kept our minds off our pain. Hopefully you will be able to get another dog soon and some comfort from your loss.
Quote 0 0
Living_with_tragedy
What a beautiful little girl.  I'm so very sorry for your loss of Grailyn.  Such a tragic accident. It's difficult when others are involved.  You feel alone because you don't know where to place anger, hurt, and guilt.  As much as you try to dismiss it, it comes back.  My little 6 year old dog passed tragically on Xmas Eve at the vet. Not my regular vet and there are unanswered questions, no explanation or apology.  My grief continues.  I still haven't let go of my guilt for letting him go there in the first place. I go over and over why I went there and not to my regular vet whom I trust with my own life.  It's a daily struggle missing him and dealing with my guilt. I still cry.  I will never understand why we are dealt these cards.

I'm so sorry for what happened. Take your time to grieve, don't let anyone tell you when to stop or "get over it."  This forum is filled with wonderful people who understand and will help you get through this.  I wish you peace and comfort. It's a long road to healing. If you are in the U.S., there are several pet lost phone support groups if you need someone to talk to. DaybyDay is 24 hours and LapofLove is available till 11pm eastern time.  

My sincerest condolences,
Parker's Mom
Quote 0 0