Forum

Author   Comment  
Smokey3887

Reply with quote  #1 
I look online about this topic and I can't find what I'm looking for. My cat Smokey isn17. Has triad disease, has been on several medications and currently he does have constipation He is getting lactalose, miralax, and he is eating ground turkey, steak, and drinking turkey bone broth. He has also ate purée pumpkin. I've also given him some dairy. Very lean and has been doing well on it the last couple weeks. He recently had a little diarrhea but has not passed a piece of stool. Any advice.

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Smokey, I read through your story on the other posts I wanted to send you a private message but it says "disabled! so here goes - I'm so sorry that Smokey is not doing well! I know you love him with all your heart and you seem to really want advice. Someone told you that you will know when it is time and I know they meant well. Everyone here just wants to help. However, we are not qualified to give advice. Your vet has said that she would let him go rather than putting him through another enema if he hasn't pooped in 4-5 days. I believe she is telling you there is nothing else that can be done to help you dear pet. I am so saddened to read that Smokey went 7 days without a bowel movement and I can only imagine the temrrible pain this poor baby is in. You sound tired and scared of losing him so I think you must be finding it hard to think clearly.
This is what I would like to say. "When we love our pets as much as you do, we have to do whatever is best for that pet no matter how lonely we are or how heartbreaking it will be." There is a saying I read on this forum "better a week too early than a day too late". I am asking you to please think of what that means. True love is putting your pet's needs first. Your Smokey may be eating and drinking a little but think of all the medications you are (lovingly) putting into his body. Think of the terrible pain he must feel not being able to relieve himself. Think of the vet saying she does not want to put him through another enema. This tells me that it was painful for him. You have had him a long time so please think about his quality of life right now, wearing a diaper and being given laxatives and painful ememas and living in pain the majority of his time. Animals can suffer for a long, long time before they die so it is up to us to take their pain away and, my dear, in Smokey's case, from everything you are describing, I believe that means letting him go. I'm so very sorry to say this. It breaks my heart but I remember when my dog was sick and I knew he was suffering. I chose to end his suffering because I loved him so much and as much s I miss him I've never regretted that decision. I know you have it in your heart to do the same for your beloved Smokey. Think carefully about the words your vet said. Smokey hadn't pooped in 7 days and your vet said she didn't want to put him through another enema!
You are lonely and Smokey fills that void but I also know how much you love him. If your vet has given up then that means he is going to die. It's a question of when and how much will he suffer beforehand? You have the power to give him peace. Your husband is supportive so the two of you could take Smokey together and be with him while you end all this pain. It will be one of the most difficult things and it's so sad that you're in this position but you really need to do what is best for your pet at this point. The last thing you want is to let him suffer more and then die because you will have so many regrets and I don't want that for you. Instead of remembering his suffering (because constipation this bad would be so painful) you could choose to remember letting him go peacefully and live in the knowledge that you did right by him and you put his needs first!
I am so sorry my dear and I hope this does not sound too blunt but you sound like you are feeling very alone and in need of someone to say that this really does need to be done no soon. Considering Smokey's health right now, I wish your vet would have been more clear with you. I will be thinking of you and hoping you find the strength to do what your pet needs you to do for him.
Blessings,
Sam
Smokey3887

Reply with quote  #3 
She had given the enema after he didn’t poop for seven days. Now he started eating a day after the enema so I was saying he has a little diarrhea but the small poop left in him has not come out. He has not had a stool Piece come
Out since he started eating on this Wednesday She has said let his body do what it needs to and see what happenes. He is eating and drinking well on light foods I wanted to
Clarify.

Reply with quote  #4 
Thank you for clarifying that. I know you love Smokey so I would suggest one thing at the this point: I would get a second opinion from a different vet because today is Saturday and if Smokey hasn't had been able to relieve himself since Wednesday I do believe he would be in pain or very great discomfort. In the end, you will have to decide if you are okay with that but I would at least get a second opinion so you don't look back and wish you had spared him suffering.
All the best,
Sam
Smokey3887

Reply with quote  #5 
I may do that Monday

Reply with quote  #6 
Wow! Poor baby so glad you will be getting him some help. This must be excruciating pain for poor Smokey! I'm sorry this is so difficult having a pet who is ill! I know you will put his needs first though. That's just what we do as loving parents. Hugs to you,
CK
Sampson

Reply with quote  #7 
I want to wish you good luck with your appointment and let you know that I do understand this isn't at all easy for you. All the best,
Sam
PeppermintPatty

Reply with quote  #8 
How is Smokey doing?
Smokey3887

Reply with quote  #9 
Hello, thank you for asking. Smokey is still eating and drinking. Miralax has helped with the pooping issue. His mobility is not that great and the diapers have helped tremendously. I know his days are limited. I promised myself that when he stood eating or drinking or he can't move at all then I know it's time. It means so much that everyone is praying and thinking of us both.

Reply with quote  #10 
Smokey3887, I'm sorry for what you are going through. I was glad to see you had posted but after reading your post I have to say that I am a bit shocked that you are planning to wait until Smokey can't eat, drink or even move. This isn't about whether diapers helps you not to have a mess but about a cat who is very ill and in serious pain. I don't mean to sound harsh because I know you are in pain and can't stand the thought of losing Smokey. I am hoping you will have the strength to do what is right for your Smokey. We who love animals accept that they will go before us and that is a very sad fact but in taking on responsibility for a cat or dog, or any animal who is completely dependent on you, you also take on the responsibility of doing what is best for the animal and putting their needs above yours no matter how painful. I will share with you that it ripped my heart out to let my 2 loving, beautiful, wonderful little dogs go but I did it for them and because I knew I never wanted to have any regrets. I haven't even been able to write about them except in a journal as my heart is still so broken but I will never regret letting them go instead of letting them suffer. I wouldn't have been able to live with that!
I am telling you this because as somebody else said already, Smokey is very ill and is going to have to leave you at some point. The choice is up to you as to when that will be and how much he is going to suffer. I will pray you don't have regrets later because from all that your vet told you (she couldn't do anymore for Smokey and didn't want to put him through another enema) and all that you have written Smokey is suffering now. Know that you can post here after Smokey is gone and there will be people who are here to support you, myself included. It will help with the fact that you feel alone. I know you mentioned that earlier. I can also give you ideas to help you through the worst but please don't let your baby live in pain when you can choose to take that away. You, and Smokey, will be in my prayers.
CK
Smokey3887

Reply with quote  #11 
I appreciate your concern. Right now Smokey is eating on his own, drinking on his own going to the bathroom with no problems and the only issue he has is his mobility is slower than before. He is alert and does not seem to be in pain, The vet tech stated she would not put him down right now Ayer seeing how he acted at home. He gets his daily meds that he has been on since his triad disease prognosis and he sleeps like old cats do. As soon as I see his appetite decline and if he becomes less alert I will do the right thing. I will not allow him to suffer in any way. He goes to the litter box but does at times have accidents so that is why he wears the diaper which he does not mind. I could not put him down with the way he is right now. He is to alert and loving to do that. I hope this post helps give you some clarity.

Reply with quote  #12 
Consider first trying a few pallets of "Royal Canin Gastro intestinal" usually works for my boys when they have issues going. If you want to stop diarrhea use formulated raw - Raw Dynamics, a tsp of organic rice and a tsp of organic pumpkin.
bluegreen_eyes

Reply with quote  #13 
I am glad he is fine now.
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.