Shan
Around 2 am yesterday I had my dog of 19 yrs put to sleep. I feel guilty and heartbroken as it happened all too fast. I honestly am so angry with myself. He had seen me through good and bad times, always there when I needed him. I just feel empty and lost.
Quote 0 0
3_cats_mom
Don't feel this way. If you made that choice , I am sure there was a good reason. You didn't want him to suffer any longer. You are so lucky to have a dog that lived that long. I wish my cat lived that long. I too just lost him this morning. I was thinking about putting him to sleep too if his condition continued, but he died before that. It still feels so raw. The house feels empty... my routine has changed. It is terrible. I guess as an owner, we always doubt our decisions. That's the burden of being a pet owner, cuz they can't tell us what they want. We can only try our best to take care of them. If he lived that long, that means you have definitely done something right!
Quote 0 0
Shan
Thank you. I’m very sorry about your fur baby. You are right, I was blessed to have Comet for as long as I did. They all love us unconditionally, they make a bad day bearable. I know logically I did what was best for him, I’m feeling raw like you and others in this forum, and I thank you for your kind words. I am just lost, my norm has changed.
Quote 0 0
3_cats_mom
Yes the new norm is the toughest part to adapt. I feel so empty when I come home. This loneliness is killing me. I still have two other cats, but somehow you know something is missing. Trying to hold on to the good memories is all we should do. Maybe someday we can reunite.
Quote 0 0
Memories_of_Marmalade

Dear Shan & 3_Cats_ Mom,

I am very sorry and saddened to learn of your recent losses. 

Shan - 19 years IS an extraordinary lifetime for a dog. As 3_Cats_Mom wrote you did something right!

3_Cats_Mom_ you feel exactly as many of us posting here do. I had to put down my beloved cat Marmalade just over 5 weeks ago, and the place where we resided is filled with complete emptiness without his warm & friendly presence & wonderful personality.

I continue to be beyond heartbroken, but every now and then I can feel a tiny ember of hope still burning within me. A minuscule light feels like it is coming back on in my heart, mind & soul. And for a brief moment...I feel comforted for the time that I DID get to share with my Marmalade, and I feel a pang of gratitude for what my little boy and I experienced together.

All any of us can try to do, is to hold on to that small, bright light within each of us, and continue to let it burn. Protect that little light. Strive to keep it lit. Don't allow it to be extinguished with our grief, regret & sorrow. And hopefully that flame of fond remembrances of our lost ones, will grow in it's intensity. Until it shines like the sun within us.

Quote 0 0
Andee
I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved dog. Nineteen years, wow, that is a lot of years of bonding to mourn. The feelings you are experiencing are normal. They are a part of grief and a part of being a human who was able to love a precious furry creature with all heart and soul. It just rips and breaks a portion of us to lose them.

I had to let my sick fur baby go last December. It happened too fast. I did not expect her illness to be a fatal insufferable one. She was only four. If I was taking too much time being downstairs, she would meow at the top of the stairs 'asking' why I was taking so long and to hurry up because she needed me upstairs. She could be quite convincing in that regard. Such a little love she was.

May you find peace and hope along your journey of grief. Hugs 🤗!

Furry Love Is Forever
Quote 1 1