rbaharav
Yesterday I made the decision to put my beloved Chocolate Lab Coco down.  He was 12 years old and had an aggressive form of cancer.  He had a very large tumor removed in March and was so strong and seemed to bounce back but about a month ago stopped eating for days at a time.  He would drink but very little.  He had attacks of pancreatitis so was on grain free kibble.  I started mixing grain free chicken stew with his kibble and he started eating again...then about 4 days after the mix he stopped eating again.  panting a lot, lethargic, and then I found the tumors on his abdomen again, I found 3 and called the vet.  My vet found at least 4 and he said I would have 1-3months only with him.  I couldn't stand that he was in pain and it was just going to get worse.  He didn't lose the control of his bowels yet. So He is gone.  Now I don't know what to do with myself...I want him back and know that is impossible. I love him so much.  He is the best dog ever and so loyal to me.
I was granted 6 more months with him for that I am grateful. 
Robin Baharav
Quote 0 0
Bdoggie
Robin, I'm so sorry for your loss. I love Labs. They are beautiful dogs. You did the most loving thing you could do. You did all you could do. You did the most unselfish thing you ever did for him. You ended his suffering. Coco knows how much he was loved. And believe me, Coco loved you too. You feel the pain you feel because you loved Coco so much. And Coco still loves you from the Rainbow Bridge. I believe we will see our furbabies again.

You came to the right place. We are here for you and we understand completely.

In my thoughts,
Bill
Quote 1 0
LittleLost00
I’m so sorry for your loss, I understand how heart breaking it is and the feelings that come with having your four-legged best friend put to sleep.

Just know you did the kindest thing you could do in letting him go, letting him be at peace and pain free. Problem is, when the pain stops for them, it starts for us that are left behind, but it will get better in time. Hold on in there.
Quote 1 0
BorderCollieLover
Robin:

I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved Coco. Like you, the rest of us feel terrible about losing our precious pets. I hope that you will post here often and share your feelings. You are fully supported on this Forum by some wonderful, pet-loving people. 

Jim
Jim Miller
Quote 1 0
Sil
Robin,

I am sorry for your loss of Coco.  Like everyone else has said, "you made the ultimate decision, you put Coco's needs before yours.  You were brave and took the courage to end his suffering".  And, this decision was based on love..... you did all you could to make Coco better, but it was not possible.  And, I must agree again,
"when their suffering ends, Our suffering/pain starts".

You came to the right place, we all love - not using past tense - our fur babies.  Many hugs
Quote 1 0
rbaharav
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your comfort to me!  I so appreciate it.

I had never bonded with a dog before Coco and wow as much as this hurts, the years with him are worth it.  I always shied away from getting another dog because I didn't want him to think he was less in my life.  empty, wandering around the house trying to settle on something.  I know this it too new the grief is so young.  I will have to be patient and allow myself to mourn him. 
Thanks again much much appreciated!
Robin Baharav
Quote 0 0
Bdoggie
Your Coco loved you very much. He also knows you have a lot more love in you. I really don't think Coco would want you to be alone. She knows she'll see you again, but you must still live your life. I read this somewhere on this forum. I hope it helps.

Before humans die, they write their last will & testament and give their house and all their worldly possessions to those they leave behind.  If, with my disabled paws, I could write down my last will and testament, this is what I would say:

To a poor and lonely stray I'd give:

My happy home.

My bowl, cozy bed, soft pillows, and all my toys.

The lap that I loved so very much.

The hand that stroked my fur and the sweet voice that spoke my name.

I also leave to the sad and frightened shelter
dog
the place I occupied in my human parents' hearts, which seem to have no bounds for loving.

So when I die, please do not say, "I will never have a pet again, for the loss and pain is more than I can bear." Instead, please open your hearts to an unloved
dog
, one whose life has held no joy or hope, and please give MY place to him.

This is the only thing that I can give....THE LOVE I LEFT BEHIND.

Quote 0 0
Pagmem
Hugs and blessings Robin. It is so hard. We’re with you.

Melissa
Melissa
Quote 0 0