Daisysmom1
My Beagle Daisy developed a terrible ear infection, the vet gave me meds to put in her ear, it would work then a few days later it came back. I used it for 2 weeks straight and same thing. They wanted to sedate her and clean her ears. She was adopted from a shelter so i can only guess her age about,12.
They tested her blood her levels were very high for her liver and kidneys, she was in renal failure. The vet couldn't sedate her so they gave her antibiotics and a steroid. Big mistake! she stopped eating and drinking about 4 days later. I had to have her euthanized. She lost 10 pounds in a week. She couldn't walk, and was miserable. My heart is broken I miss her so much. Has anyone heard of a steroid doing this. The vet said she still had kidney function and it was her liver. Probably cancer. I just don't know if they are being truthful about the ,steroid. I keep second guessing myself. I
should of just kept using the other stuff she'd still be alive.
Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Quote 0 0
LizzieLu
Aww this is terrible:( I'm so sorry for your loss! The only experience we've had with steroids has been positive. Lizzie has terrible skin allergies and always had yeast infections in her ears and on her paws so she has been on steroids off and on for years. She's permanently on prednisone now bc of lymphoma. Usually steroids make them hella thirsty and hungry. If I were you and feeling doubtful,I'd ask to have copies of all the blood work and labwork sent to me. Just tell them it's for your records in case you need them to give to the place where you adopted your dog from.
Quote 0 0
kayeen
If your cat frequently shakes her head or scratches her ears compulsively, she may have a feline ear infection but you'd need to go to your veterinarian.
Quote 0 0
Babyteddysmom
Hi there, my dog was euthanized last Sunday. He was throwing up, and when I took him to the vet, his liver enzymes were elevated. We tried medications for a few days and he literally couldn't stand, or eat. Long story short, I took him to the vet several more times. They put him on fluids and gave his steroids. They vet told me he perked up with the steroid. They the did an ultrasound, and found a large tumor on his heart they believed to be cancer 😔. They said there was nothing they could do. It does sound like your pup was struggling prior to the steroid. I'm very sorry for your loss. It's devastating and I cry everyday and question if I could have done more for my teddy. I'll be praying for you. ❤️
Quote 0 0
Daisysmom1
Babyteddysmom wrote:
Hi there, my dog was euthanized last Sunday. He was throwing up, and when I took him to the vet, his liver enzymes were elevated. We tried medications for a few days and he literally couldn't stand, or eat. Long story short, I took him to the vet several more times. They put him on fluids and gave his steroids. They vet told me he perked up with the steroid. They the did an ultrasound, and found a large tumor on his heart they believed to be cancer 😔. They said there was nothing they could do. It does sound like your pup was struggling prior to the steroid. I'm very sorry for your loss. It's devastating and I cry everyday and question if I could have done more for my teddy. I'll be praying for you. ❤️
Quote 0 0
Daisysmom1
Thank you for your reply. It's been 2 years since Daisy has been gone. I still miss her everyday. Time has helped.
I do know now that the ear infection was a symptom of the cancer.
I'm very sorry for you loss of Teddy, it is normal to feel guilty and question your self. Just know that you did the right thing. I think we always wonder if we do it to soon or not soon enough. It does get easier with time. My prayers are with you.
Quote 0 0
Babyteddysmom
Thank you DM. I wasn't aware that chronic ear infections are a symptom of cancer. That's good to know. Sending hugs. ❤️
Quote 0 0