gags
I had to say goodbye to my friend of almost 16 years last week. My chocolate lab retriever "kali" was my rock over the years. Friendly, loving, demanding and at times a real jackass. Yes, she lived a long and happy life but that doesn't stop the pain and hurt I'm currently feeling. Kali was my first pet and if you asked me in 1999 if I could ever get attached to a pet I would of said "forget about it"....this dog taught me so much about life. We've been inseparable for the last 16 years and I'm finding it very hard to deal with. Yah she's in my heart and is here in spirit but not having that big headed furry magnet around is really tough to swallow. how does one cope with such a loss? I don't think that I would grieve this much if I were to lose close people in my life. Is that wrong and whacko to say? I need some guidance on how to deal with this loss.

Devastated and heart broken.
g.
canada

Quote 0 0
Lilimarie
I know how you feel and it's not whacko. I'm so sorry for your loss. My little babies life was cut short through a horrible unexpected accident and I'm not embarrassed to say I'm feeling temporarily checked out. It's really hard to get on. I wish you peace and love for you and your baby. Take it day by day and take care of yourself.
Quote 0 0
Dalidog
Your grief is understandable and not whacko at all.  I know I have never felt the grief when I lost family members like I do with my Dali.  I think it is because of that unconditional love and attachment I feel to her.  I am proud to say I love her and I always will.  She taught me so much about life and was there at the darkest hours of my life.....except this one when she left me.  Makes it hard to be without her through this.  That probably sounds weird, but my baby got me through the darkness.  Her signs to me are all that keep me going now.  I haven't done much of anything the last 7+ weeks....don't cook, shop, can't function, just cry.   Every day I write to her, sing to her, call her, and it kills me that I can't hold her.  Hang in there.....you aren't alone.

Dali, as much a daughter as any human...  pure love
Until we meet again

http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/DALI003/Resident.htm

Quote 0 0
gags
I get you about being there for you thru the darkest times. I first got kali when I was a young lad of 33.....I'm almost 50 now so she has been in my life for a big chunk of time. when I faced heart ache in relationships my kali was there...when the chips were down my kali was there....we went thru lots and lots of both good and bad times. The two way street of unconditional love just grew and grew. There's something to be said when they say......"mans best friend".....eh?
Quote 0 0
Katel
If you're whacko then all of us here are as we understand every word you say and the way you
express your grief for your dear Kali.  .  I totally agree it is overwhelming.  They are our babies, our friends, our loving precious ones.   Their gentleness gives us heart in the tough times, and when they go the pain is unbearable.   It does ease in time but we never forget them and we change so that we learn to live with the loss.   i am so sorry for your loss, and pray you find peace.
Quote 0 0
animal_qwackers
Kali sounds like a wonderful friend to you. It doesn't matter that she 'had a good life', the pain still cuts like a knife. She spent many years with you, through good and bad times, and was always there when the chips were down. She was your best friend, she always will be. I am sorry for your loss, sorry that you had to say goodbye when you were inseparable for so many years. You need to grieve in your own time, in your own way. We are all unique. Grief affects us all in different ways.

If you're wacko, welcome to the world of nutters and crazies. I've lost two four-legged friends this year, within 10 weeks of each other, and I know I am crackers – animal crackers that is – and proud of it! I have loved and grieved every animal I have ever lost, and this year was the zenith. My feline and canine soulmates gone, both of them who had been with me through thick and thin, that unconditional love never failing, never fading, always true.

To say I feel lost is an understatement. To say there's a void in my life, a silent  crippling emptiness, is a joke. To say I feel heartbroken doesn't cut it. Would I go through it all again? You're damn right I would! To have those years of commitment, loyalty, devotion, laughter, mad moments, sad moments, immeasurably happy moments, fun, bliss, and joy beyond belief I would bear the grief, the tears, the despair, the desolation, the fog, the devastation. Yes, I would weather it again, if only I could have those magical years full of sparkle and togetherness once more.

Those lights in my life will never fade, despite the fact they are not here in physical form. They are with me and always will be until I draw my last breath.

Kali will be the same for you; she mattered to you, you mattered to her. A true friend is never forgotten.

My thoughts are with you at this sad time.

“Death ends a life, not a relationship.” – Jack Lemmon

Solly, Gonzo, Daisy-Mae, Ebony, Jerry, Tigger, Bonnie, Suzy, Cleo, Spike, Sooty, and Tibby – dazzling lights that will never fade. Adored, cherished, I was privileged to know you all. Until we meet again, my beautiful babies. Bowls of love and cuddles, your ever-loving, devoted Mummy xxxxxxxxxx

Quote 0 0