planogardener
It is with great sadness that we have had to make that decision that every pet owner dreads... the decision to put their pet down. The wife and I are taking him to the vet this afternoon. Our “oldest son” Charlie had been suffering with severe canine cognitive dysfunction (CCD), arthritis, and other “old age” issues for the last few months.

The first question you have to ask is, is ‘he still living a happy, productive, loving and fulfilling life?’ The answer is no. While there were times where he was acting like a puppy, and was full of energy, it didn’t last long. The other question is, “are his issues affecting our lives?” The answer is yes. Our sleep has been disrupted for weeks, and we were constantly on edge and worried about him.

Who are we, as humans, that with a simple decision and phone call, can end a pet’s life? Unfortunately we do... and we have to. It’s our responsibility as pet owners. Our Charlie was more than a pet. He was a part of our family. He was our eldest “son”. He was the “Charlie Bear”.

Before Charlie came into our life, he ended up at the Dallas animal shelter twice, and being put down was certainly a possibility. He didn’t have a good life. But the Miniature Schnauzer Rescue of North Texas group rescued him. And that’s where we met him. I fell in love with him immediately. We feel that we rescued him by bringing him into our lives, and he became the newest member of our family.

Our younger son (also a Schnauzer) Boomer saw the change in his brother weeks ago, and did what he could to help him when they were outside.

While we are extremely saddened by this, we know it was the right decision. Charlie is no longer in pain and is no longer suffering. He’s crossed over the “rainbows bridge”. He had a tough life, but we know his last years were happy ones with us.

With his passing, we feel like a part of us has died. The timing is, of course horrible considering what’s going on in this world right now.

But there is a light at the end of the tunnel. When we are ready, and only when we are ready, we know that there are many fur babies waiting for a good home and a happier life.

We will miss you Charlie. We will miss the licking and having to go around you all the time. You’ve given us happiness and unconditional love.

We love you. Rest In Peace.

Thanks in advance for your support and well wishes.
Quote 0 0
JulieF
I am so sorry for your loss.  Bless you.  Your post was very insightful and so very true - two weeks for me since I put my boy Patch down due to illness - he was 19 and I think, like you, his life was not as good as I wanted it to be, so I made that hard, but necessary decision.  At least you gave Charlie some great years at the end.

Hugs and prayers.
Quote 0 0
Buddy_Mama
Dear planogardener, I'm so sorry for the loss of your Charlie Bear. Like Julie said, your observations on the things you need to consider to make the difficult choice of euthanasia are insightful and true. I've had to make that decision twice before - not with my Buddy, but with his two older "sisters" that he never met (I've only ever owned one cat at a time, so none of them ever met each other). It takes strength, and devotion to our babies, and an infinite amount of pure love for them, to be able to make that decision... a decision that's right for them, but never feels right for us. Wishing you more of the strength you've already demonstrated to help you process your grief, and sending you hugs.
Cindy (Buddy’s mama)
My baby Buddy 5/4/10-3/7/20, rescued March 2011
My sweet Mandy 11/27/91-11/2/10, rescued November 1992
My beautiful Barney 4/28/73-9/7/92, adopted May 1973
Quote 0 0
planogardener
JulieF wrote:
I am so sorry for your loss.  Bless you.  Your post was very insightful and so very true - two weeks for me since I put my boy Patch down due to illness - he was 19 and I think, like you, his life was not as good as I wanted it to be, so I made that hard, but necessary decision.  At least you gave Charlie some great years at the end.

Hugs and prayers.

Thank you Julie for the kind words. Tonight will be the first night without him, so the grieving process begins. We will celebrate his life and know he will never be forgotten.
Quote 0 0
planogardener
Buddy_Mama wrote:
Dear planogardener, I'm so sorry for the loss of your Charlie Bear. Like Julie said, your observations on the things you need to consider to make the difficult choice of euthanasia are insightful and true. I've had to make that decision twice before - not with my Buddy, but with his two older "sisters" that he never met (I've only ever owned one cat at a time, so none of them ever met each other). It takes strength, and devotion to our babies, and an infinite amount of pure love for them, to be able to make that decision... a decision that's right for them, but never feels right for us. Wishing you more of the strength you've already demonstrated to help you process your grief, and sending you hugs.

Thanks so much Buddy's Momma for your kind words. You're right... it doesn't feel right, but we all know it was for the better. We will celebrate his life and know he will never be forgotten.
Quote 1 0