MJC16
I'm hoping writing all this down may ease some of the grief I am feeling at the moment. One of our cats, Charlie, was unfortunately knocked down last week and died, he was only 3. We only found out a few days later from a neighbour after a couple of frantic days trying to find him. He passed quickly which is at least some comfort and the driver of the car stopped and called the RSPCA to try and help. Wrong place wrong time. Once confirmed that he had passed away the RSPCA and the local vets told my neighbour to ring the council to come and pick him up (they didn't know he was our cat). This is where everything falls apart, our boy was collected but never made it back to the depot were they store the animals. We have chased the council and they know a driver was sent but he claims he never picked anything up which we know to be untrue. So as it stands we do not know where the body of our cat is and we are trying to come to terms with the fact we wont be able to have him cremated and brought home. He was such a loving cat and rarely strayed far from our house, he has a brother who has been meowing for him and my son who Charlie loved and who my son loved right back now cannot say goodbye properly. I'm at a loss of how we can find closure on this. It's hard enough the fact we wont see him again but to not have the opportunity to find a place to rest in our garden is heartbreaking. Can honestly say this is one of the worst feelings of grief my family has ever felt and at the moment it is impossible to see how it can improve.

Edit - from the UK
Quote 0 0
Marie123
Oh I'm so sorry to hear about your sweet Charlie! What an awful thing to happen! I'd keep on the pickup people if that's what they told you about nothing being picked up. You definitely deserve closure with you baby. I had a cat run down too and never got her body back either. Our neighbor found her but when my Mum went back to get her the body was gone. What I did was I drew a picture of her and wrote a little story about how how much I loved her and missed her. We kept that one, but then I wrote her a letter and took it to the spot where my neighbor had found her, and put the letter by the side of the road, in the ditch. It didn't help much, but at least i felt I'd said goodbye in some small way.
If you're unable to track Charlie down, maybe you could light some candles beside a picture of him, and have a little prayer service. Have everyone draw a picture or write what they loved most about their little friend and read it. Also every Monday night here, there's an online candle service that you can add your pet's name to. I've been to one for my girl Raven before. Everyone is very kind in the chat room or you can do the service offline too.
I hope this helps some. And I pray that you find out where he's been taken.
Blessings and hugs from Marie and the crew 🐱🐌🐊
Quote 0 0
gizmomybaby
I realy hope you find out where your baby Charlie is am so sorry for your loss I can understand it must be worse not to have him dont give up with the council they should be trying there best to help you here specially for your son & you all to say goodbye. Plz keep us updated you deserve answers. Your Charlie sounds a loving wee guy, the grief is a hard one to process. Sending hugs to you & your family I pray you get your baby back x Annemarie x
Quote 0 0
Marie123
Amen to that. You definitely deserve to know! 🐱
Quote 0 0
MJC16
Thanks everyone for the replies. We wrote a little note for Charlie with some flowers and placed them where he died, it was only a couple of doors down from us. Keep trying to say to myself that his body is now just a shell and his spirit will at least be around our street where he wondered as that's where he passed. I think we will write a few memories of him and pictures and place it in a plant pot on our decking in the garden...his favourite spot being led out in the sun. I don't tend to show much emotion usually but this really has hit me for 6, we will care for his brother as best we can,  he was always the more timid one but he has been sleeping on our bed the past few nights, something he hasn't done in years. Don't know if he is helping us through this or the other way around! Guilt, anger, regret, frustration and the feeling of letting him down I guess are just normal for this part of the process but I know a lot of animals aren't lucky enough to have a loving home and I know Charlie did.
Quote 0 0
Marie123
Yes these are all normal emotions like you said. Give his brother extra love, as he's mourning as well. Charlie will always love you, and undoubtedly come to check on all of you and his domain. Talk to him and ask him for signs. Raven gives them to me often. I hope you can still get some closure but the letter and flowers are a beautiful way to pay tribute to his loving spirit.
Blessings and prayers 🐱
Quote 0 0
camunki
I am so sorry for the loss of your Charlie and for not finding his body for proper closure must make it that much more difficult. I am glad you wrote a note and had some flowers placed in his last resting spot. Sounds like a good idea with placing some memories of your Charlie and pictures in a pot in the garden, let his love and spirit live on. I am glad you have Charlies brother to give alot of love to also.

And yes, we all have anger, guilt etc the could haves, should have's etc. We all go thru this phase of trying to fix things or make things better to keep our precious pets around longer on what we "could have done".

Please know your Charlie is free from pain having a fun time at the Rainbow Bridge your guardian angel, til you meet again............and Yes! you know that alot of animals are not luck enought to have a loving home as Charlie did and you did love him more than words could ever say.

Cam

Quote 0 0
Marie123
Raven is probably showing Charlie around right now, maybe even taking him through my Mum's garden to meet her, my friend's bunny Snoopy my snail Houdini and all the other precious babies who now watch over us 🐱🐺
Quote 0 0
Susie_Squillions

What a heart-breaking thing to have happened. My heart goes out to you at this sad time. It must feel like limbo to you, and your family. :'(

Can you make a memorial in your garden for Charlie with special plants, rocks, and an angel cat statue/figurine? Have a small service for him so that you can gather together and celebrate the life he had with you? At least it would be something to bring you together now to remember Charlie properly. 

I wish you all a kind and gentle path to healing from your shocking loss. 

xoxo

In one of the stars, I shall be living. In one of them, I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing when you look at the sky at night. -- The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery

All tears are healing tears.  They help to wash away our sorrow and allow the first buds of happiness to blossom in our hearts. -- Susie "Squillions"

.T.J.'S RESIDENCY: http://RainbowsBridge.com/residents/TJ006/Resident.htm
.BUDDY GUY AYRES~LYNCH'S RESIDENCY: http://www.rainbowsbridge.com/residents/Buddy128/resident.HTM
.KING BING THE GOD CAT'S RESIDENCY: http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/BINGO009/Resident.htm
A fresh start after 947 posts. March 7th, 2011. I've been coming to this wonderful site since April 6, 2004.
Quote 0 0