legia Show full post »
Saras1201
Thank you. I am going through the same thing. I found him on his side and i saw his face. Even worse the vet told me he was clenching his teeth when he died. The vet reassured me that he did not feel any pain and that death was within 30 seconds. The best thing to do is to remember how they were when they were alive. It will take time but there will always be a hole in my heart. I am sorry for the loss of your 2 cats. Keep telling yourself they are in another place where there is no pain. I posted 2 prayers to help with the heartache...
Quote 0 0
lettersatlarge

I'll always wish that my Dante's decline had been slower, so I could spend the last moments with him and then give him peace in euthanasia before he experienced any further pain or trauma. I'm only thankful that we were home when his heart started failing. I don't know if I could have lived with myself if he'd died alone, on the floor, confused, in pain, afraid. I hate that his last morning was so frightening, but I'm grateful I got to see him and say goodbye before we put him to rest.

I truly understand the desire to keep them near until the very end, but it would break me if I saw an animal suffering and declining with no hope in sight.

Quote 0 0
Saras1201
Yes it definitely bothered me that he had died alone on the floor. He did die in his sleep. I only wish i had some kind of warning. He was healthy and he had no symptoms of anything.
Quote 0 0
lettersatlarge

Saras1201 wrote:
Yes it definitely bothered me that he had died alone on the floor. He did die in his sleep. I only wish i had some kind of warning. He was healthy and he had no symptoms of anything.

It makes it so difficult to accept, I know. :(

I knew my Dante was not well, he'd been dx'd with enlarged heart and partially collapsed trachea, and the thing is, he seemed to be on the mend. The night before he passed he was running around, eating his food, he went on a walk, he was happy to see me. So waking up to him suddenly in cardiac distress and his lungs failing, it was such a shock, I wish he didn't have to go through all that.

Quote 0 0
Chandlers_Dad
I am so sorry. I can't even imagine what you must be feeling. I do believe Charky went quickly, without pain and fear. The only pain now is your own, and while that is excruciating, take small comfort in knowing he didn't suffer a prolonged illness. Losing anyone is hard enough, and can cause us to feel shock and numbness, but our love can comfort us when we accept the pain they never had to feel. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Quote 0 0
Kaddagh
So sorry for the loss of your sweet girl x I'm heart broken u didn't get to say goodbye but no doubt your girl is smiling down on you from the rainbow bridge x try not to think of her last moments remember all the lovely memories u had with her x sending love and pawsitive vibes x
Quote 1 0
Saras1201
Chandlers_Dad wrote:
I am so sorry. I can't even imagine what you must be feeling. I do believe Charky went quickly, without pain and fear. The only pain now is your own, and while that is excruciating, take small comfort in knowing he didn't suffer a prolonged illness. Losing anyone is hard enough, and can cause us to feel shock and numbness, but our love can comfort us when we accept the pain they never had to feel. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Quote 0 0
DameGrise
Legia,

Your Betsy was such a beautiful cat. She reminds me of Percy in his later years. Sick furbabies can get so frail. I agree that it sounds like a heart attack. I lost a previous kitty to that. She had heart problems and had a leg amputated. We took her to the vet when she had a heart attack that didn't kill her, poor baby, but at the vet she had the final one. I was pretty upset I wasn't there with her.

They go when its time. I am sorry for your loss.

Sam
Quote 0 0
Saras1201
This weekend was the hardest. I miss him very much.
Quote 0 0
ariane
My dear cat Chatouille, the apple of my eyes, had FeLV. he lived illness-free for 4,5 years and was completely fine until 2 weeks ago when I found out he had very severe anaemia. I spoke to various vets, who said no treatment was worth doing considering his condition, and that he would die soon. This was quite a shock and I spent those weeks very sad, stressed and confused about what to do- and also grateful i could be home to be with him and have time to say goodbye. I searched the internet a lot, and i'm posting here now to share my experience in case it helps others. The vets said i should think about putting him down, to give him a dignified end. This is the common message we usually hear. However a Buddhist friend very advanced on her path, who also spoke to some of her Buddhist friends who lost pets, said that if possible i should let him have a natural death. Apparently it's way worse for them when they're put to sleep, as their soul becomes confused, and it makes it a lot harder for them to find their path during the life-death transition. She said we think we're helping them by putting them to sleep, but that it may actually be worse for them. After speaking to more people, the message that made the most sense to me was this: really connect with your pet, and they will tell you what they need.

Chatouille wasn't in pain (i also asked the vets), just getting weaker. He didn't complain, he actually seemed quite at peace, sitting quietly and wanting to live a 'normal' life until the end. It was me that was a total mess and finding it hard to deal with it all. He taught me SO much about the end of life process, i truly believe he was preparing me for other deaths to come. I was away those days for a family commitment, and had to leave him with a friend. Last night i panicked again about what to do, because I'm returning home tomorrow, and he had not eaten for nearly a week, but my friend told me this morning that he passed away during the night. I'm really sad i wasn't with him at the time. i've never met such an awesome cat, he will always live in my heart and I will miss him terribly. For anyone who's confused like i was, trust your gut, see what your pet needs (not what YOU need) and trust that any decision you take is made out of love. a friend said animals are much better at dealing with death than we are, it's much more natural to them, and i believe it's true.
Quote 1 0
Ischylar

That last post really spoke to me. My baby Liza is lying here next me on her blanket passing away naturally. I can’t bring myself to put her down. She’s no longer eating but still desires water and I have to carry her to and from the bowl as well as help her stand while she’s there. It is incredibly heartbreaking and I’ve found myself crying more times than I can count at this point. She’s not in any pain. Just very weak and declining. She has kidney failure and cancer and although I am completely heartbroken I am again grateful because we spent 20 years and 3 amazing months together. We know each other so well it’s uncanny, and even though we don’t speak the same language it’s like we do. At times I questioned if she had a human soul because she just seemed so knowing. 

To my Liza Priza, you’ve been mommy’s princess since the day I was blessed with you. Our souls are forever joined. Till I see you again in heaven, sleep well my love.

Quote 0 0
Memories_of_Marmalade
My heart always breaks when reading when any pet is ill, suffering or dying. And I always feel such deep sadness for the parent. But please know that there is no way for us to know if a pet is in pain or not. No Vet can tell us what an animal is feeling inside. That is impossible.

Dogs and Cats fully understand that if they show weakness or pain or illness they will most likely be ousted from their pack or colony. So they will hide their pain and suffering as best they can, for as long as they can. That we do know for a fact. Cats will even purr during major life threatening distress as they are in a panic. So please be mindful of the above.

A human dying naturally can usually communicate what they are feeling as their health declines. We have no way of knowing what a pet is feeling at any time towards the end. I say this for those who do not know what to do when it comes to putting their beloved's down or not. It is a very serious decision. This forum is filled with horrific stories of miserable deaths at the end. Please remember, it is about our pets needs and not our own in the end. When we need to let them go we need to be strong and courageous for them and show them mercy. And take their pain and suffering onto ourselves and process it through our grief. That is the bargain that we make.

James
Quote 0 0
Ischylar
if your heart  is really breaking then be supportive. No one, especially me, needs to be preached to during a time like this. Be supportive or stay silent and keep your unsupportive, intrusive  and unwanted views to yourself. Please and thank you.
Quote 0 0
Memories_of_Marmalade

Ischylar

First off this forum is for communication between members here. Sharing thoughts and opinions. We learn from each other. Others will read our posts later and learn from them too.

Second off this thread is entitled "Cats dying naturally." And the first poster legia started this thread. Not yourself. It is not your tread to control. Various members, new and old are sharing their experiences, thoughts, opinions and information here on this thread.

I'd like to explain my position and put my comment into the proper context:

FYI I have been here on this forum for some time (close to a year now) and during that time I have posted close to 1000 supportive posts to others. I am well know here. I have helped hundreds of members through their grief. I'm not preaching to you. You wrote "I can’t bring myself to put her down." Meaning that you don't have the ability to put your beloved pet down. That is your personal choice. But others will read this thread and your words. Others seeking very important advice about how to help their pet at the end of their lives. Still other visitors here to this forum will be reading this thread potentially for years to come. And to be honest, I felt your post was misleading and potentially harmful. As it isn't always just sitting peacefully watching TV with a beloved pet towards the end of their life and everything goes smoothly. This forum's archives are filled with terrible deaths in the final days, hours and minutes of pets lives and members have been severely traumatized with what they saw happen to their beloved in the end. Their pet can become catatonic or not know them, they can go completely blind, they can bleed out of every orifice, they can cry and wail and be in complete and utter agony. Their final moments of their pets lives can be so horrendous that it ends up becoming the defining moment of their pets lives. And that needs to be avoided.

For people to chime in on this thread? and claim that "Cats do not feel pain in the end because the Vet said so" or that "Someone who knows someone who studied Buddhism said that putting a cat to sleep will confuse them as they make the transition into the afterlife"? can lead to an extraordinary amount of misinformation being spread (including here on the Internet) and thusly lead to a terrible amount of unnecessary pain and suffering for pets who are dying. You can influence visitors here with these posts and their beloveds may die a miserable death vs. a peaceful one. And there was and is no way I am not going to express my opinion and disagree with those destructive comments.

How did it feel for those of us here on the forum, who did feel the need to end our pets pain and suffering in the end by putting them to sleep for ariane to post that "Putting our pets to sleep confused them and lead to a bad transition into an afterlife?" It was highly insensitive, unthoughtful, disrespectful and insulting. And it was an inane comment on top of being rude.

Bascially what was posted here in this thread was - any of us members here who had are pets euthanized cast them into purgatory. And for anyone who visited this thread, and was considering what to do, and decided to have their pets put down would also be casting them into purgatory. This false information could not stand. 

Watching an elderly pet starving to death, who already has terminal illnesses and is dying, is not being loving and kind to that pet. Organ failure IS painful. How on Earth could it not be? Disregarding that fact is being in denial and observing the torture and suffering of an animal. The pet can not speak. It can not tell us what it is feeling. What it is enduring. How confusing that must be for a dog or cat. As they do not know when that pain will end. It must feel to them like it will never, ever stop. They must feel so dismayed and saddened and anxiety ridden. 

I will not enable harming an animal. No matter whose feelings are hurt. If  a pet can no longer eat? it is time to let them go. Starvation is a form of torture. They may be hungry and yet can not eat. They may be nauseous hour after hour and day after day. Their livers begin to also be damaged after 48 hours of not eating. We need to put our pets FIRST, not our own potential loneliness and misery. It is about THEM. Not us. It is our responsibillity to send them off in as peaceful and gentle manner as possible. To be strong when they need us to be.

I've seen my fair share of irresponsible pet owners over the years and decades who allowed their pets to suffer immeasurably in the end, for no reason but they were not willing to assume the responsibility that they needed to, in order to end their pets pain and suffering. I understand that letting them go when the time comes is a sad, tragic, overwhelming decision. But it is a decision that should be made. Most here on the forum have made that final decision. And I will continue to support them in having done so. 

If you would like to, you can go and start your own thread on this subject and no worries, I will not post my opinion on any thread that you initiate. That much is certain. As I really don't want to associate with you in any regard.

James
Quote 0 0