Forum

Author   Comment  
Zoezoe

Reply with quote  #1 
I'm wondering if anyone has had a car with a GI Lymphoma? I had to put my cat Zoe to sleep a week ago because of this. Curious if there's anyone else who has been or is going through this?

Reply with quote  #2 
My biggest issue is that it was never officially diagnosed. The vet said that she was almost certain, but I just keep thinking how could all her testing have come back normal every time? I just don't understand.

Her symptoms were weight loss and severe chronic diarrhea. Towards the end she was vomiting more frequently also. She was also going outside the box about 40% of the time. Both diarrhea and urine.

Reply with quote  #3 
It wasn't confirmed if it was a GI lymphoma specifically, but we lost Spike, our cat, to lymphoma a few weeks ago. He was at the vet's the Friday and Saturday of the week before with the only symptom being loss of appetite, and they did a full screening which picked up nothing.  It was only when they went in for surgery that they found it, and how widespread it was. If he hadn't gone in for surgery we'd never have known what killed him. By Wednesday of next week, he had to be put to sleep.

Cancer can hide itself very well. It is difficult to detect with tests (an elevated white cell count may be the only sign, and there are lots of things that cause that), and unlike humans lymphoma doesn't cause swellings or inflamed lymph nodes in cats.

I miss my cat. My sincerest sympathies on the loss of your Zoe.
Timmymissu

Reply with quote  #4 
Im so sorry for your losses guys big hugs it hurts like crazy i feel as though a part of me has died with my boy we miss them so much we all have one thing in common broken hearts xxxx
kayeen

Reply with quote  #5 
  I'm really sorry to hear that.  The most important thing to remember is that if this behavior lasts for more than one day, it is very important to take your cat to the veterinarian. Your veterinarian will partner with you to determine the most appropriate medical treatment is for your cat.

tirial

Reply with quote  #6 
Kayeen, we took our cat the the vet on the first day symptoms showed. He skipped dinner and he never did that. He was at the vet's next morning when they opened. We learned afterwards that by the time any symptoms showed at all, it was already too late. Cancer in cats can be incredibly fast. Apologies to any grieving owners for the detail but it can double in size every twelve hours, and some lymphomas spread through the body infiltrating organs before they form sizeable or detectable tumours.

It is important to take pets to the vet quickly, but even doing so does not guarantee they will survive. Sometimes it doesn't matter if you do everything right because cancer is such a big wrong.
lissab

Reply with quote  #7 
Tirial, that's good to know, as they thought Zakk had lymphoma, but with his other issues, a fine needle aspiration would have only stressed him out further and he wouldn't have tolerated treatment due to his CRF and HCM. Only 4 and 1/2. I wasn't told how rapidly it can spread. Thanks for the info. Blessings to you and everyone else dealing with these horrible tragedies. things will get better. It is hard though, still,crying daily. 😪

Reply with quote  #8 
My 12 year-old tuxedo girl, Sunshine, was diagnosed with a GI lymphoma in April 2017. She had been having bouts of uncontrollable diarrhea for a couple months prior . . . She is very territorial, so initially I thought it was a behavioral issue. My vet noticed when I brought her in for a check up that her tummy felt a bit firmer than normal, and that she had lost a bit of weight.
(She has never weighed more than 6 pounds, and is very petite, so it wasn't immediately apparent to me until the vet noted the weight loss.) We did some blood work which was consistent with a lymphoma diagnosis.

Sunshine has been a real trouper. She is taking only prednisolone as palliative care. She recently developed diabetes as a side effect of the chronic steroid use, so now she is getting twice daily insulin as well. She doesn't seem to mind the injections as long as I give her a dry food reward immediately afterwards.

To me it is most important that she is eating, comfortable, and active. I was very saddened when she was first diagnosed, but with supportive friends who also love cats, I have realized that she chose for me to go on her final journey with her, and that is humbling to me.

Peteyd

Reply with quote  #9 
My 11 year old Pitbull Elvis was just diagnosed with GI Lymphoma. I am devastated. He has had colitis his whole life but it was manageable. 3 months ago he swallowed pieces of a tennis ball and had to have emergency surgery. He has a small bowel resection and recovered well for and older dog, then started to lose weight and appetite. We took him in for another barium study to see if there was an adhesion/ scar tissue blocking his small bowel. That when we got the news that he has lymphoma. We are treating him with prednisone and it has helped his appetite which we are grateful for. The thought of losing him so quickly is causing me tremendous anxiety and depression. I can’t believe this is happening. I’m just a mess. Having a hard time getting through the day at work. Just want to be home with him and my wife. I’m so sad.

Reply with quote  #10 
Don't despair! Sunshine has been diagnosed since April 2017, and is still her sassy self!
KrazyBoutCatz

Reply with quote  #11 
The prednisone will likely also help slow the growth of the lymphoma!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.